Covid test before returning to UK

kevboy

43 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

No one should need a test from a green country, or country shouldnt be green.

However should we make young are not going to get ill yet who have had restrictions on them to protect us oldies , have more restrictions than us oldies.

But then how do you monitor what is going on?

BJ got blasted because he didn’t bring that in soon enough.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm fully vaccinated, and therefore, according to the experts, unlikely to become ill with CV19, or be likely to pass it on. Why, therefore cannot I not travel/holiday to countries such as Spain or France, and also why should I have to quarantine on my return?

There appears to be a lot of hyperbole from the government,  but little in the way of rational argument. 

Your term "unlikely" there is the key to the answer to your question.  In fact 1 in every 20 people vaccinated (at least) won't be protected because the vaccines are at best 95% effective.  A 1 in 20 chance is not "unlikely" and when you scale it up to lots of people that 5% becomes a lot of people.

That's why vaccinations were never going to afford people special rights and privileges, at least not from a health point of view.   Take 2000 travelers, all vaccinated, that means at least 100 won't be protected and could be carrying and spreading Covid.  Could be more depending how well the other 95% responded to the vaccine.    Just waving vaccinated people through is akin to playing Russian Roulette.   It shouldn't happen.  Everyone should be treated the same way.  Everyone should be tested or no-one should be tested.  Everyone should have to quarantine or no-one should have to quarantine.    Unfortunately I fear there are other agendas in play here.

12 minutes ago, Colin117 said:

Your term "unlikely" there is the key to the answer to your question.  In fact 1 in every 20 people vaccinated (at least) won't be protected because the vaccines are at best 95% effective.  A 1 in 20 chance is not "unlikely" and when you scale it up to lots of people that 5% becomes a lot of people.

That's why vaccinations were never going to afford people special rights and privileges, at least not from a health point of view.   Take 2000 travelers, all vaccinated, that means at least 100 won't be protected and could be carrying and spreading Covid.  Could be more depending how well the other 95% responded to the vaccine.    Just waving vaccinated people through is akin to playing Russian Roulette.   It shouldn't happen.  Everyone should be treated the same way.  Everyone should be tested or no-one should be tested.  Everyone should have to quarantine or no-one should have to quarantine.    Unfortunately I fear there are other agendas in play here.

But 90% is about as good as it will get, and we have to live with that, otherwise we are condemned to living in fear for eterniy.

• Like 3

Semantics, I know, but is there a difference between fear and caution?  I’m not afraid, for myself, I feel that one month on from the second jab I am as well protected against the disease as I can be, and certainly against severe illness or death.

However, I still feel that everyone, individuals and authorities, should exercise caution for just a little bit longer.  This really, really must not be allowed to run riot again

A good few weeks of sunshine would help us all.

• Like 9

Just now, Eddie99 said:

Semantics, I know, but is there a difference between fear and caution?  I’m not afraid, for myself, I feel that one month on from the second jab I am as well protected against the disease as I can be, and certainly against severe illness or death.

However, I still feel that everyone, individuals and authorities, should exercise caution for just a little bit longer.  This really, really must not be allowed to run riot again

I was just about to make the same point. 

Treating COVID with respect and caution is nor fear - it’s a behaviour learned over the last 14 months after seeing the havoc it can wreak. 

I cant see the point in rushing to the ‘end’ and having to risk going backwards again. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I did not mean that, I meant stop people going to and coming from countries with variants and high levels of infections. 

As for the lockdown for Bolton, that was in the News yesterday.

I think covid will be around forever, so we have to begin to accept that if we want life to return to something like normal, there are going to have to be compromises that we accept as part of the price of a return to normal life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But 90% is about as good as it will get, and we have to live with that, otherwise we are condemned to living in fear for eterniy.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Fear is telling vaccinated people they should not go abroad.  (Lord ?), fear is telling peole especially those vaccinated that they shouldn't go to Amber countries except in emergencies , not on holiday,  BJ.

Caution is saying you can go to Amber countries especially if vaccinated,  but take care, keep to social distancing,  eat outside where you can etc, and obey the testing and quarantine rules when you come back

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think covid will be around forever, so we have to begin to accept that if we want life to return to something like normal, there are going to have to be compromises that we accept as part of the price of a return to normal life.

I think we need an honest debate, do we want to accept compromises in our lives. Or do we want to live with higher risks. Thats for us to decide not some committee like SAGE,  or ministers. They should consult the public

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think we need an honest debate, do we want to accept compromises in our lives. Or do we want to live with higher risks. Thats for us to decide not some committee like SAGE,  or ministers. They should consult the public

And this is where P&O/Carnival have done a lot of research over the past 18 months when drawing up their protocols.

• Like 2