Covid test before returning to UK

kevboy

13 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I think that it may be worth adding that it has now been reported that a patient who had received both jabs was subsequently hospitalised with the Indian variant of Covid-19, with five others having received one, instead of the two, jabs.  The surge testing has not prevented a local infection rate of more than 250 per 100,000.

In most/all the official messaging put out, it has been clear that the vaccinations offer a high, but not absolute, degree of protection against contracting the virus.

Clearly, there is a need to establish if, with a likely higher transmission rate, the Indian variant is capable of infecting and causing to be hospitalised significant numbers of people who have been fully vaccinated.  Also, if the trajectory of this variant is the same as the Kent one, where it is considered to have started with younger people before infecting older and more vulnerable people to the same degree.

Like everyone else, I very much hope that this is not the case, but I have started to reflect on this morning, for the first time in a couple of months to be honest, if the staycation cruise we have booked will go ahead. 

My mind comes back to the point that a cruise is ultimately a large gathering of people in an indoor environment for a long period of time.  We also know that the demographic of the cruises (including P&O) attracts families, but also older and more frail people.  I'm not sure that its out of the question that the "step forward" to staycation cruising could be held back a bit, alongside other components like hotel conferences and entertainment venues etc.

Will be happy to be proven wrong on this!

I think you make some very good points.

I remember when the Kent variant was spreading locally in November. It was during the circuit breaker lockdown, but infections were going up rapidly.

We now have a variant which is said to be at least as infectious as the Kent variant, and less restrictions on daily lives, so it will be miraculous if the Indian variant doesn’t get a foothold. 

Even if hospitalisation do not increase to a level that threatens the NHS, it is still sub optimal to have a virus spreading freely in the population. The more people it infects, the more chance it can mutate, possibly into something worse.

Up until recently, I’ve been hopeful about this summer, but not quite so sure at present. I’ve already had one coach day trip in June cancelled, and I’m starting to wonder about my coach holiday to Scotland later in the summer. And yes, I have started to ponder the effect all this will have on the staycation cruises.

With the uncertainty, I’m.very reluctant to book anything with ‘new’ money. Nearly everything  I’ve got booked is carried forward from last year. I feel so sorry for businesses trying to keep afloat.  

I don’t think the weather helps - I’m really hoping it gets better so we can enjoy the window of opportunity for some leisure activities 

• Like 6

I’m a bit reassured that it’s not just me feeling a bit apprehensive/pessimistic at the moment.  As noted, the weather doesn’t help (though hopefully discourages overcrowding at outdoor venues)

We’ve done our bit these last months (virtually the last 16 months) - it would be such a slap in the face if, despite the vaccine, we can’t progress.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t think the weather helps

That is a good point. given the poor weather more people are staying inside. I know for example my next door neighbour has people around and they go inside. That is how this virus is spreading.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think the key phrase from M Hancock about the person who ended up in hospital even after two jabs was they were frail. What would be a very mild disease for some can be the tipping point for someone frail. This is the same a flu and even a cold. I think it is something we will have to live with , but people who have frail relatives must be cautious .Multi generation  households have their benefits and draw backs.

I don't want to sound cynical, but if you're frail perhaps it's best not to go on a cruise. 

Yes I think omitting the frail part makes it seem much worse. Things must be viewed in context. 

• Like 5

I would like to see the stats on people in hospital who have been vaccinated and those that havent.

Also those who are testing positive vaccinated and not vaccinated.

Those stats will make a clearer picture for people who are worried about not having the vaccine and maybe help people continue to follow the guidelines

• Like 2

But even with vaccination there is never any 100% guarantee like with all other vaccines whether it be the flu vaccine/yellow fever. Having the the vaccine does not mean your not going to catch Covid that has never been said it just cuts your chance and if you do catch it it will not be as serious. But unfortunately frail, old people whether vaccinated die every day of many illnesses because their immune system will be low and Covid is no different.

9 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Yes I think omitting the frail part makes it seem much worse. Things must be viewed in context. 

But if folk don't feel safe, don't do it. If you trust the scientists, just take care. If people decline to be Jabbed they can expect to get infected. Dustin Hoffman had the right idea in Outbreak.🤔

FamilyCruiserUk asks about statistics. I recently read that although hospitalisations are coming down, 95% of patients in hospital have not been vaccinated.  I live in the Bolton area and today ( 18th May) the infection rate is 10 times higher than the national average. What is truly significant is that most of these infected persons are in the age range 30 - 50. What is staggering to find is that almost none had been vaccinated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THE EVIDENCE IS CLEAR.  HOW CAN PEOPLE CONTINUE TO BE IN DENIAL ? 

AS you sow, so you will reap.

• Like 7

On 5/16/2021 at 7:45 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I would like to see the stats on people in hospital who have been vaccinated and those that havent.

Also those who are testing positive vaccinated and not vaccinated.

Those stats will make a clearer picture for people who are worried about not having the vaccine and maybe help people continue to follow the guidelines

I think it is clear now that most in hospital in Bolton were eligible for the vaccination but choose not to have it. So they must be mainly over 50. 

So it looks like the the young who are the majority of cases are not getting that ill. So they are not at risk. It is only the older people who haven chosen to not have vaccination that are at risk.  This can only be a conscious decision not ignorance of vaccine , as  the NHS , local authorities and community leaders have worked hard to get people vaccinated. 

So the vaccine offers pretty good protection,  we know it can't be perfect. 

As one who has had vaccination and on behalf if all the others, I would be incensed to be locked down again, to protect peope who have rejected the protection of the vaccine. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, kevboy said:

FamilyCruiserUk asks about statistics. I recently read that although hospitalisations are coming down, 95% of patients in hospital have not been vaccinated.  I live in the Bolton area and today ( 18th May) the infection rate is 10 times higher than the national average. What is truly significant is that most of these infected persons are in the age range 30 - 50. What is staggering to find is that almost none had been vaccinated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THE EVIDENCE IS CLEAR.  HOW CAN PEOPLE CONTINUE TO BE IN DENIAL ? 

AS you sow, so you will reap.

I agree i do find it staggeeing when i read posts here and on twitter from the anti vax people.

I couldnt wait for my jab, as soon as i was allowed i booked it. Not just for me but to protect people i come into contact with. 

I do feel for bolton as it is more then likely another small lockdown is possible. 

Same with holidays, should a holiday be cancelled or have to isolate due to an un vax person falling ill, how would people feel and what compensation offered.?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I agree i do find it staggeeing when i read posts here and on twitter from the anti vax people.

I couldnt wait for my jab, as soon as i was allowed i booked it. Not just for me but to protect people i come into contact with. 

I do feel for bolton as it is more then likely another small lockdown is possible. 

Same with holidays, should a holiday be cancelled or have to isolate due to an un vax person falling ill, how would people feel and what compensation offered.?

How would I feel.? Incandescent. 🤬

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm booked on a coach trip for the Edinburgh Tattoo, so I'll be paying attention to the situation in Scotland  especially as Nicola Sturgeon hasn't backed herself into the corner of 'irreversible easing'.

Unfortunately the Tattoo has just been cancelled for this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-57157960

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Unfortunately the Tattoo has just been cancelled for this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-57157960

Noooooo !!!!!!

Actually, I don’t blame them at all. Things are in such a state of flux and subject to unexpected change, it’s almost impossible to plan these large events. I’ll have to see what the coach company does. Last year, when the Tattoo was cancelled, their original plan was to have a ‘Scottish Evening’ in the hotel instead, but that was quickly shelved.

They are only a small company, so they won’t be keen to refund our deposit, so I think I’ll ask if I can switch to day trips instead, and leave my trip to the Tattoo until a time when life is more certain again.

It was only about 10 days ago that I was feeling very positive that the trip would happen and was actively looking forward to it.

Thanks for letting me know, it’s best to know about these things ASAP 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Noooooo !!!!!!

Actually, I don’t blame them at all. Things are in such a state of flux and subject to unexpected change, it’s almost impossible to plan these large events. I’ll have to see what the coach company does. Last year, when the Tattoo was cancelled, their original plan was to have a ‘Scottish Evening’ in the hotel instead, but that was quickly shelved.

They are only a small company, so they won’t be keen to refund our deposit, so I think I’ll ask if I can switch to day trips instead, and leave my trip to the Tattoo until a time when life is more certain again.

It was only about 10 days ago that I was feeling very positive that the trip would happen and was actively looking forward to it.

Thanks for letting me know, it’s best to know about these things ASAP 

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I thought it might save you a balance payment or some such.

Nothing is certain at the moment anywhere, it is all becoming a bit wearing. Like you I felt more positive and the last few days it’s going down hill again with the rise in numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I thought it might save you a balance payment or some such.

Nothing is certain at the moment anywhere, it is all becoming a bit wearing. Like you I felt more positive and the last few days it’s going down hill again with the rise in numbers.

Apart from a hotel break in October for my husband’s 70th birthday (which is fully refundable for any reason), I haven’t booked anything new since the start of the pandemic. Everything else is things carried forward. I feel as if I don’t want to commit new money when the situation is still so unpredictable..

Sometimes it seems like one step forward and two steps back. But, it’s the way life is now, although it can be very wearing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Apart from a hotel break in October for my husband’s 70th birthday (which is fully refundable for any reason), I haven’t booked anything new since the start of the pandemic. Everything else is things carried forward. I feel as if I don’t want to commit new money when the situation is still so unpredictable..

Sometimes it seems like one step forward and two steps back. But, it’s the way life is now, although it can be very wearing

I understand your position,  but do think that you have to be optimistic.  We have various cruises booked into 2023, and the deposits involved are small,  so there is little financial downside.

However, we do want to do a significant land holiday next year, and I am certainly not booking that at present. 

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I understand your position,  but do think that you have to be optimistic.  We have various cruises booked into 2023, and the deposits involved are small,  so there is little financial downside.

However, we do want to do a significant land holiday next year, and I am certainly not booking that at present. 

I have two cruises moved forward into 2022, and the cruises that I had originally booked were ‘big’ cruises. So Carnival are currently sitting on nearly £2500 of my deposit money, which is a considerable downside for me! 

Before I start booking new things, I want to see that my existing holidays have a good chance of going ahead.

Due to the money I have tied up in coach companies, I’ll end up with about 7 day trips this summer, so that’s enough to be getting on with, and it’s less of an upheaval if they are cancelled.  

I’ve also got a twice cancelled theatre visit booked for September - I’ll be making sure that goes ahead before booking any other shows..

Right now, I’m neither optimistic or pessimistic, just living each day, finding something to enjoy each day. It’s an approach that has worked for me

21 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I can't remember seeing any posts on here by anti-vaxxers, but then they would have been quickly removed thank goodness, so maybe I just missed them.

Avril

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I can't remember seeing any posts on here by anti-vaxxers, but then they would have been quickly removed thank goodness, so maybe I just missed them.

Avril

Not on this forum, but there are some on other forums. 

Royal Caribbeans website states that passengers returning to the US or Canada will get a free lateral flow test prior to disembarking as proof of safe to fly. I've emailed them and asked if that will also apply to UK customers like me who have booked a fly cruise package disembarking in Cyprus and then flying straight back to the UK. No response yet !

2 hours ago, gettinold said:

Royal Caribbeans website states that passengers returning to the US or Canada will get a free lateral flow test prior to disembarking as proof of safe to fly. I've emailed them and asked if that will also apply to UK customers like me who have booked a fly cruise package disembarking in Cyprus and then flying straight back to the UK. No response yet !

I asked the same question on their twitter account and they said each ship has the facility for on board tests. If a LFT is allowed to fly home then may take some with me. 

Has any one done the free home tests? Do you send them off to get checked or check them yourself and load that onto the NSH covid App?

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Sorry i lumped all the people who are refusing to wear masks and have a vaccine into one group. The RC boards have a few negative people on there, doom and gloom mostly.

18 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I asked the same question on their twitter account and they said each ship has the facility for on board tests. If a LFT is allowed to fly home then may take some with me. 

Has any one done the free home tests? Do you send them off to get checked or check them yourself and load that onto the NSH covid App?

The free LFT is self contained, after 20 minutes you have your result, and you put the result into a NHS website not the Covid-19 app (well I didn't as the instructions point you elsewhere).

I somehow doubt a do it yourself test will be accepted but you never know.  

• Like 1