Covid test before returning to UK

kevboy

I am so looking forward to my next cruise ( hopefully in October) but If my understanding is correct,whilst there is no need to prove you have been vaccinated  for these dates, returning to the UK from a Green list country still requires a pre entry covid test.  Providing a lateral flow test should be reasonably straightfoward and could be taken the on the last evening aboard and presented to custom officials at airports or  arrival ports. ( proving that the result is actually yours could be a problem ) However, what would happen if PCR tests are required 72 hours before arriving home. It would be a nightmare scenario - even if P&O did it on board it would take 3-4 days and the samples would need to go to a Laboratory for analysis in a different country.  I dont believe airports would be equiped to deal with hundreds of cruise passengers flying in from abroad and needing testing.  It seems to me that only lateral flow tests could provide a solution but will those in authority agree to that. Am I  overstating the size of the problem or  does anyone else have any different ideas. 

At the Gov briefing about travel we were told that there would be extra delays at airports with a number of requirements being needed, including extra paperwork.  That was explained by the person from the Border Force.  Regards tests, I thought PCR tests were needed, but I could be wrong as I did not take much notice since we do not intend to fly until next winter at the earliest.  Everything could change several times by then.  I am sure P&O will make some sort of acceptable arrangements, otherwise they would not be able to run fly cruises. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

That's one of the reasons why my next cruise (September) is from/to Southampton. No airports, and when I get home to the UK I just have to step off the ship ??

And if things get worse with our destination ports while on the cruise we presumably will  just stay on the ship or divert to another port  .

Edited by GOQ
Added

56 minutes ago, GOQ said:

That's one of the reasons why my next cruise (September) is from/to Southampton. No airports, and when I get home to the UK I just have to step off the ship ??

And if things get worse with our destination ports while on the cruise we presumably will  just stay on the ship or divert to another port  .

As I understand it (hopefully someone can correct me!) the testing requirement applies regardless of the means of entering the UK. Not just to flights. So all cruise passengers who had set foot in a green, amber or red country would need to be tested before dissembarkation. If my understanding is correct (is it?) then I cannot see how in practical terms cruises other than UK only could take place unless this requirement is waived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevboy said:

I am so looking forward to my next cruise ( hopefully in October) but If my understanding is correct,whilst there is no need to prove you have been vaccinated  for these dates, returning to the UK from a Green list country still requires a pre entry covid test.  Providing a lateral flow test should be reasonably straightfoward and could be taken the on the last evening aboard and presented to custom officials at airports or  arrival ports. ( proving that the result is actually yours could be a problem ) However, what would happen if PCR tests are required 72 hours before arriving home. It would be a nightmare scenario - even if P&O did it on board it would take 3-4 days and the samples would need to go to a Laboratory for analysis in a different country.  I dont believe airports would be equiped to deal with hundreds of cruise passengers flying in from abroad and needing testing.  It seems to me that only lateral flow tests could provide a solution but will those in authority agree to that. Am I  overstating the size of the problem or  does anyone else have any different ideas. 

Nobody knows yet.

We don't even know if cruises will go in October.  I was booked on a cruise to leave 1st October on Queen Victoria, and I moved that to 2022 months ago as I felt there was too much uncertainty and the likelihood of too many hoops to jump though if the cruise actually went.

If the cruise sails then P&O will have to provide the means to satisfy all Covid requirements. It it's too difficult to fulfil the requirements, then, as Wowzz said, the cruise will be cancelled.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Denarius said:

As I understand it (hopefully someone can correct me!) the testing requirement applies regardless of the means of entering the UK. Not just to flights. So all cruise passengers who had set foot in a green, amber or red country would need to be tested before dissembarkation. If my understanding is correct (is it?) then I cannot see how in practical terms cruises other than UK only could take place unless this requirement is waived.

But what would they do when I reach Southampton if there was a problem, force me to stay on the ship,  Any opinions ?

41 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Nobody knows yet.

We don't even know if cruises will go in October.  I was booked on a cruise to leave 1st October on Queen Victoria, and I moved that to 2022 months ago as I felt there was too much uncertainty and the likelihood of too many hoops to jump though if the cruise actually went.

If the cruise sails then P&O will have to provide the means to satisfy all Covid requirements. It it's too difficult to fulfil the requirements, then, as Wowzz said, the cruise will be cancelled.

That is exactly it Nobody knows yet, I am sure there are all sorts of contingency plans, there are just too many ifs and buts, at the moment things look rosy but a new strain could change that. We have to put our trust in governments and businesses to do the best they can to keep us safe, and of course do what we can to keep ourselves and others safe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Nobody knows yet.

If this requirement is stil in place when international cruises restart, then the cruise lines will have to administer the tests, otherwise the turnround time will be days rather than hours.

P&O will have the capability to do full ship PCR and lateral flow testing onboard.

P&O will not visit red list countries and will minimise visits to Amber countries. A lateral flow test should be sufficient.

If someone is positive then they will follow the isolation procedures they have developed. This includes transfer of individual on return to Southampton.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

P&O will have the capability to do full ship PCR and lateral flow testing onboard.

P&O will not visit red list countries and will minimise visits to Amber countries. A lateral flow test should be sufficient.

If someone is positive then they will follow the isolation procedures they have developed. This includes transfer of individual on return to Southampton.

So far, if anyone has tested positive on the limited cruises that have happened in the Covid era, the cruise has been effectively over, and the ship has returned immediately to port.

Are you saying it’s the intention to carry on with the cruise if anybody onboard tests positive during the cruise? 

From green countries you need only a lateral flow test 24hrs before arrive in UK,  easy could do it yourself.  However p&O will have to oversee it so itcan be proved it's yours. More administratively difficult than technicallydifficult 

Yes, the industry now has to transition to a world where Covid is minimised and isolated without disrupting the entire cruise.

A lot of effort has gone into protocols to enable this.

However if there is a large outbreak, or the infected person has been in close contact with many people, there always remains the possibility that abandoning a cruise is the safest option for all onboard.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

From green countries you need only a lateral flow test 24hrs before arrive in UK,  easy could do it yourself.  However p&O will have to oversee it so itcan be proved it's yours. More administratively difficult than technicallydifficult 

Specific additional staff will be on board to deal with Covid specific requirements.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Thanks for your input, glad to have you back "on board". 

A bit confused about the return to Southampton.  What about those of us who live a day's drive (or train ride) away.  Would it mean a quarantine hotel, or could we go off on a drive to test our eyesight? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tring said:

A bit confused about the return to Southampton.  What about those of us who live a day's drive (or train ride) away.  Would it mean a quarantine hotel, or could we go off on a drive to test our eyesight? 

Sorry, I don’t have the specific answer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, I don’t have the specific answer. 

Thank you, though I suppose that is really a matter for the Government rather than P&O. 

Bit worrying about Boris's attitude to the Indian variant in parts of the UK.  He seems to transformed overnight from "never another lockdown" to "nothing is out of bounds". 

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

If you have been vaccinated, as I'm sure you are, the chances of you getting the virus, or passing it on, are highly unlikely. 

You may be over-thinking this.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Thank you for writing what I hoped I would eventually read. Looks like P&O (and hopefully others) have thought this through and developed a practicable solution. Credit where credit is due.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Thank you for writing what I hoped I would eventually read. Looks like P&O (and hopefully others) have thought this through and developed a practicable solution. Credit where credit is due.

I think it is more to do with Government requirements.  Hopefully all cruise lines will follow the systems well and the cruises will continue to operate.  

Edited by tring

12 hours ago, tring said:

Thank you, though I suppose that is really a matter for the Government rather than P&O. 

Bit worrying about Boris's attitude to the Indian variant in parts of the UK.  He seems to transformed overnight from "never another lockdown" to "nothing is out of bounds". 

In my opinion that is the correct attitude, no one has a crystal ball so the powers that be have to react to the current situation and it that means a so call U turn then so be it. 

To me a stronger leader is one who admits an error and adjust accordingly. This is not political it is a fact in any walk of life be it in the Scouts, industry or the country's leader. 

• Like 11

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you have been vaccinated, as I'm sure you are, the chances of you getting the virus, or passing it on, are highly unlikely. 

You may be over-thinking this.   

That is not quite what I have read, you can still catch and transmit the virus although at a reduced level (both suffering from the virus and spreading the virus) but not "highly unlikely".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

In my opinion that is the correct attitude, no one has a crystal ball so the powers that be have to react to the current situation and it that means a so call U turn then so be it. 

To me a stronger leader is one who admits an error and adjust accordingly. This is not political it is a fact in any walk of life be it in the Scouts, industry or the country's leader. 

That is how I see it, there must be massive amounts of information coming in constantly from all over the UK, everything is still fluid, we are in a great position with vaccinations and now coming out of the tunnel and the last thing we need is a step backwards.

• Like 5

To give you an idea of scale, Britannia currently has 900 crew onboard. 200 working and 700 in their two week cabin quarantine period.

It’s said to be running smoothly. It just proves that if there was a passenger outbreak, we are now in a very different place procedures wise compared to the Diamond, Golden or Ruby Princess outbreaks in 2020.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

To give you an idea of scale, Britannia currently has 900 crew onboard. 200 working and 700 in their two week cabin quarantine period.

It’s said to be running smoothly. It just proves that if there was a passenger outbreak, we are now in a very different place procedures wise compared to the Diamond, Golden or Ruby Princess outbreaks in 2020.

Interesting information and I can't wait to join her on the 27th.