Booking a cruise that isn't full vs one that already looks full?

Hi all,

I posted recently about whether to take Anthem of the seas for a NYE eve cruise this Dec., out of NJ, vs an Allure cruise out of Port Canaveral this Sep., or Oct.  I still haven't made up my mind, but am leaning towards the Allure.  I like the itinerary better, plus if we do that one we'll stay about four nights in Orlando to do Disney World.  I've never been and know it will be great to see and compare to Disney Land which I saw many times as a teenager.

My question might be a stupid one, who knows, but I couldn't find any thing about it when doing a search.

For the Allure the itinerary I want has several departure weeks in Sep and Oct.  I would much rather go in Oct, because it shouldn't be quite as miserably hot and hopefully less bugs.  But the two departures in Oct seem pretty full.  On a cruise site where I book through a friend I can select the cruise I want and then pick the cabin and deck, etc. I guess that is called a dummy booking.  Anyhow, there are hardly any suites left and most other categories have only 'balcony gty.,' 'oceanview gty.;' etc.  Soooooo, I assume that means the ship is pretty full.  On the late Sep. choice, there are lots of cabins left.  I can see how many cabins are left when I pick a balcony and there are a good deal left.

So, I know the Allure is a huge ship and if it's fully booked can anyone tell me if it will be way too crowded and hard to get around and have to line up for everything?  Yes, I know, you make reservations ahead of time.  I don't know if my previous cruises were booked to capacity.  So part of my question is--- should I book the late Sep. one because it's not full, even though I'd rather go in October?   And, should I also just assume that it might fill up anyway and therefore I'd be booking in Sep, when I don't want to go for no reason.  If any of you understand what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear your opinions (please explain, not just write one sentence.)  Thanks a bunch!  Happy Cruising....soon.

P.S.  I don't want it so hot and buggy when we're at Disney World.  On the cruise it won't matter that much.

Edited by smilesntravels
added a sentence

The ships are designed to sail full, and pre-covid, that's how they usually sailed.  Generally they handle the crowds well.  At the busiest times you may notice them more.  If you're flexible though, there's hardly any impact.  I'd suggest you pick the cruise you want, and enjoy it.

Cheers

I think you should book for October, which is when you want to go.  Florida is certainly much more pleasant in October, and September is much more active for hurricanes.  So I would book Allure in October and not worry about capacity.  I have sailed Allure at 100% occupancy or more, and didn't have a problem getting into any show.  Even made it to the Comedy Club.  

I did oasis when it was probably full. I even got in a wait list list to see shows in the theater twice, the diving show twice and the ice skating show twice. Shows are my favorite thing. If people book but dont show up then those waiting get in. I always got in.

Go when you want.

14 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

The ships are designed to sail full, and pre-covid, that's how they usually sailed.  Generally they handle the crowds well.  At the busiest times you may notice them more.  If you're flexible though, there's hardly any impact.  I'd suggest you pick the cruise you want, and enjoy it.

Cheers

Thank you.  I thought I read or heard a while back that post-covid they wouldn't be completely booking ships full.  But, when I do dummy bookings I see that some are pretty full where some decks are w/o any open cabins.

I do always try not to sail during summer vacation, easter week, thanksgiving week and the two weeks for Christmas and NY. 🙂 🙂 

Edited by smilesntravels
typo

15 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I think you should book for October, which is when you want to go.  Florida is certainly much more pleasant in October, and September is much more active for hurricanes.  So I would book Allure in October and not worry about capacity.  I have sailed Allure at 100% occupancy or more, and didn't have a problem getting into any show.  Even made it to the Comedy Club.  

I know it's up to me and hubby (who lets me plan the whole trip,) but needed help deciding.  Thank you!  You're right about hurricane season.  Actually my very first two cruises were during hurricane season, out of FL, and we didn't have a problem.  

Disney World is never buggy, but October is cooler than September.  What we don't like about Oasis class ships is booking entertainment but they do that for crowd control.  The only time we really see large crowds is when they have something going on in the Promenade area, and when shows are getting out.  Of course our best cruise on Allure was when it couldn't get back to Fort Lauderdale due to hurricane in September.  The shortened cruise after that only had 30% of passengers.  Had more waiters in Mytime Dining than guests, so they started having only half of them work each night and closed one of the Fixed Seating dining areas.

By the way, in 15 years of cruising in September we have had only three cruises change routes due to hurricane and only the one B2B unable to make port as scheduled.  

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I did oasis when it was probably full. I even got in a wait list list to see shows in the theater twice, the diving show twice and the ice skating show twice. Shows are my favorite thing. If people book but dont show up then those waiting get in. I always got in.

Go when you want.

Thanks again firefly.  Yes, and I've heard RC's shows are pretty good.  Part of the reason I want to do the Allure vs the Anthem is because of the diving show.  Good to know you got into your shows from a waiting list!

2 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Disney World is never buggy, but October is cooler than September.  What we don't like about Oasis class ships is booking entertainment but they do that for crowd control.  The only time we really see large crowds is when they have something going on in the Promenade area, and when shows are getting out.  Of course our best cruise on Allure was when it couldn't get back to Fort Lauderdale due to hurricane in September.  The shortened cruise after that only had 30% of passengers.  Had more waiters in Mytime Dining than guests, so they started having only half of them work each night and closed one of the Fixed Seating dining areas.

Thanks Lee.  You know, I actually read that somewhere- that DW isn't buggy.  I did a search on that topic.  But, I guess I'm thinking of Orlando in general and when we're at the hotel.  I'm going to pick a nice one with tropical pools, where we'll spend one day just relaxing.

So the other classes don't require making reservations?  And is that before you sail?  It will be our first RCI cruise.  I'm dying to see Labadee and keep going on other cruise lines, lol.

3 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thanks again firefly.  Yes, and I've heard RC's shows are pretty good.  Part of the reason I want to do the Allure vs the Anthem is because of the diving show.  Good to know you got into your shows from a waiting list!

We have found all the Oasis Class ships to feel much less crowded than smaller ships. RC does a great job keeping activities going on from one end of the ship to the other end at the same time. . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

The theater was built for the acrobatic show. So they can come down from the ceiling. I loved the dive show, but the bleacher type seat not so much. They had others but you had to fight to get the more comfortable seats. I was solo. 

Comedy was in a smaller room and was the only show hard to get into. I did oasis twice. 

1 hour ago, smilesntravels said:

On a cruise site where I book through a friend I can select the cruise I want and then pick the cabin and deck, etc. I guess that is called a dummy booking.  Anyhow, there are hardly any suites left and most other categories have only 'balcony gty.,' 'oceanview gty.;' etc. 

Also you may only be checking a TA site for availability? Check the UK Royal site as it shows more availability (usually).

• Like 1

If going to book Allure and combine with Disney then you want October.     September can still be hot plus it can be active with tropical storms or hurricanes.    

When we did Allure Jan 2020 I am pretty sure we booked our enterntainment online thru the cruise planner something like 60 or 90 days before the sail date.

the ships are designed so that you really don't feel like you are on vacation with everyone.     The day of embarkment everything will be busy as everyone is boarding and exploring at the same time.   

We went to Parks Cafe to get the traditional hot roast beef sandwich they make (which is really good) and it jammed packed that day but decent the rest of the week.    

the Windjammer (buffet) can have quite a long line in the morning if you get there between 8:30 and 10:00 am (popular times).    I am usually up much earlier as I enjoy watching the sunrise with my latte and my morning walk on the jogging track.   

• Thanks 1

Thank you.  I thought I read or heard a while back that post-covid they wouldn't be completely booking ships full.  But, when I do dummy bookings I see that some are pretty full where some decks are w/o any open cabins.

I think that's what we're expecting, but, we'll have to wait until cruising resumes to really find out what the experience will be like.  FWIW, we were on the final cruise of the Brilliance before it shut down.  Less than half full.  It was weird, although it was all due to the lack of passengers.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I think that's what we're expecting, but, we'll have to wait until cruising resumes to really find out what the experience will be like.  FWIW, we were on the final cruise of the Brilliance before it shut down.  Less than half full.  It was weird, although it was all due to the lack of passengers.  

Cigar King, do you mean before it shutdown the whole cruiseline because of the pandemic?  I assume that's what you meant.  Interesting.  It must have felt strange being on a cruise at that time.  We did a cruise in Dec. 2019, a couple months before it started to get bad.

Yes.  We got off the Brilliance on March 16th, and she hasn't sailed since...well at least not as a cruise vacation.

It was nice to have everything open and not crowded, especially since there was a full staff.  There was not cruise spirit though.  Nobody knew what to expect and it just hung over the ship like a cloud.  

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If going to book Allure and combine with Disney then you want October.     September can still be hot plus it can be active with tropical storms or hurricanes.    

When we did Allure Jan 2020 I am pretty sure we booked our enterntainment online thru the cruise planner something like 60 or 90 days before the sail date.

the ships are designed so that you really don't feel like you are on vacation with everyone.     The day of embarkment everything will be busy as everyone is boarding and exploring at the same time.   

We went to Parks Cafe to get the traditional hot roast beef sandwich they make (which is really good) and it jammed packed that day but decent the rest of the week.    

the Windjammer (buffet) can have quite a long line in the morning if you get there between 8:30 and 10:00 am (popular times).    I am usually up much earlier as I enjoy watching the sunrise with my latte and my morning walk on the jogging track.   

Hello again, Sunshine.  Yes, I agree that Oct will be better for DW.  I wish the cruise wasn't sold out for the Oct itinerary, but it's probably better that we take that one instead of the Sep one.

That's nice about getting up early and going for walks before going to breakfast.  I think I read that it can get pretty busy in there.  I can get up early, but it takes me forever to get ready and get out the door, even for work! :) 

We'll (hopefully) be on Allure on September 12 for a week and again on November 8 for 6 nights. We really love the Allure! DH's favorite thing is the free breakfast at Johnny Rockets, so hope they'll still be doing that! We like MTD but always pre-book our preferred dining times to avoid a long wait; you can cancel your time while on board if you decide to dine somewhere else. Pre-book your shows if you can and anything else requiring a reservation. If you're visiting Labadee, think about pre-booking a cabana (pricey) or a beach bungalow (more reasonable). If there are only 2 of you, maybe you could share it with friends; maximum of 6 people per bungalow. It's just nice to have a place to put all of your stuff while enjoying the beach and having a personal bungalow attendant to keep your water cooler full and bring your bar orders is a great plus (I'm lazy)! Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time on the Allure! She's a beauty! Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LeeW said:

By the way, in 15 years of cruising in September

Our favorite cruise month is September, most of our 25 cruises have been in Sept. 2 of them in Alaska on the last cruise of the season, but most in Carib and we have had no deviations at all due to weather.  Allure is my favorite of all the Oasis class, Symphany was also excellent.  I love the meandering creek in Solarium, there are actually bird hitchhikers in the bushes, check it out.  We are with Silky Sal on Allure Sept. 12 as well.  Can't wait!🤞

DSCN0959.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

Hello again, Sunshine.  Yes, I agree that Oct will be better for DW.  I wish the cruise wasn't sold out for the Oct itinerary, but it's probably better that we take that one instead of the Sep one.

That's nice about getting up early and going for walks before going to breakfast.  I think I read that it can get pretty busy in there.  I can get up early, but it takes me forever to get ready and get out the door, even for work! 🙂

When I am on a cruise I wake put on my bathing suit, my shorts/tshirt, flip flops and put the hair into a ponytail and out the door I go for a wonderful sea day or island day.     No need to do hair and make up till dinner time.   Then I get prettied up for the evening.

I forgot about Johnny Rockets for breakfast, they do a nice breakfast too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LeeW said:

By the way, in 15 years of cruising in September we have had only three cruises change routes due to hurricane and only the one B2B unable to make port as scheduled.  

Use to Cruise ever year over Labor Day. Though know no guarantees either way only once out of 6 Cruises we didnt have at least one Port, or stop time/dates change. No Biggie to me, was Fun riding behind Hurricanes. One yr there was 4 named Storms that Cruise. We we're a Rocking! Even our Entertainment that week "The Monkees"(minus Davy) I observed Peter wearing behind Ear patch and wrist bracelets... Since 2011 have Cruises every Oct/Nov/Dec and had choppy water, a few rainy days but otherwise Perfect. When coming back to Tampa in Nov/Dec. with a breeze/ship moving too cool for me to swim/lay out on last day. Largest change Cruising in June compared to Nov/Dec, Many hrs less Sunlight, shorter days

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

No charge Johnny Rockets breakfast before 10:30.

IMG_3470.thumb.jpeg.5e66b9ffe3bc96691bcb0650e1bfd6d2.jpeg

Last time was on Ship with a Johnny Rockets, Explorer 2 decades years ago, they didn't serve Breakfast. First time ate in JR on Voyager over 22yrs ago was that weird period where they charged to eat Lunch/Dinner in JR

Edited by ONECRUISER

32 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Last time was on Ship with a Johnny Rockets, Explorer 2 decades years ago, they didn't serve Breakfast. First time ate in JR on Voyager over 22yrs ago was that weird period where they charged to eat Lunch/Dinner in JR

It's only on Oasis class ships.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's only on Oasis class ships.

Kool, thought some Voyager Class had JR Breakfast at one time but as said 2 Decades plus since I did that Class. Along with Oasis Class my Daughters Fav ship is Anthem. Will stick with my Radiance and Vision Class's long as I can