If you could choose your dining room .......

AtlantaCruiser72

Always the mid-ship.  In a way, it doesn't matter too much which one of those, but Deck 6 preferred on all the newer builds for sure.  That may be since the one on Deck 5 has always been 100% AT and we do early TD on Deck 6.  Either one can work, but I'd stick with Deck 6 if possible.

They all serve the same menus. They all basically are decorated the same. The only difference is location. Mid ship, Coral & Island, is easier access for most cabins. A portion of the Coral DR, deck 6 mid ship, is used for Club Class. Deck 6 aft, Palm, is easier for aft cabins. In the past this DR was used for traditional dining, same table same waiters, same time each evening. No one has actually experienced Dine My Way. We don't know yet what the choices will be. Suspect DR choices & times will be from a group of listed selections, and not any time in any DR.

I can't remember from my last cruises on the Caribbean Princes for sure, but I seem to remember one of the two center MDR was ALWAYS stuffy and hot.  I know the Caribbean has been plagued with AC issues for years, and that Crooners was often miserably warm in the evenings as well.

There was a multi-day travel agent seminar last week and they had a detailed presentaion of the "Dine My Way" program.  The dining times will be bookable pre-cruise in the Medallion app only at first and guests will be able to set up "whole cruise" with same time same table guaranteed for full cruise, or make day by day ressies.   Eventually the ability to make pre-cruise ressies will be incorporated into the cruise Personalizer.    Princess Customer Service reps will supposed be able to assist with pre cruise ressies for those who do not use smart phones.   In all cases it was indicated that the guest would be able to select the dining room and time of their choice.  Space will be capacity controlled based on anticipated length of dining service.  Table #s are not selectable at booking, but once on the ship your table # will supposedly appear in the app.  For those not using smartphones/app the onboard TV system will allow you to make ressies.  At some point in future the ability to select early/late traditional or anytime at booking will go away.  Those who have booked and selected Traditional dining before the conversion date will have their requests honored.  Suite/Club Class/Elite/Platinum will have access to the dining system immediately after booking and all other guests will have access after they make final payment. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The dining times will be bookable pre-cruise in the Medallion app only at first and guests will be able to set up "whole cruise" with same time same table guaranteed for full cruise, or make day by day ressies

so, as early as we can, we should go on the app, book our 'preferred' time of say 6:30 for a 2 top only, then once onboard, we can see the nightly activities times, and decide if we want to show up at that time ?

or will nightly activities, ALL Venues, not just Princess Theatre , be viewable at that time pre-cruise ?

Post 47. This does not sound good to us. One of the pluses we liked about Princess was being able to decide that day what we wanted to do. We could figure this out for a one week cruise, but it's a nightmare when our practice is 3 or 4 cruises b2b. We have always booked cruises way in advance and used ATD. How will we ever figure out when we want to dine 12/18 months prior to the cruise when the entertainment schedule isn't even available. I guess we will just make reservations and then show, not show or try to change depending on the way we feel. Except for those that want the same time each day I think this is how many will work the system.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, skynight said:

Post 47. This does not sound good to us. One of the pluses we liked about Princess was being able to decide that day what we wanted to do. We could figure this out for a one week cruise, but it's a nightmare when our practice is 3 or 4 cruises b2b. We have always booked cruises way in advance and used ATD. How will we ever figure out when we want to dine 12/18 months prior to the cruise when the entertainment schedule isn't even available. I guess we will just make reservations and then show, not show or try to change depending on the way we feel. Except for those that want the same time each day I think this is how many will work the system.

You will still be able to make on ship reservations day of, or just walk up as in the past.  Guests with ressies will be seated before those who walk up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, as early as we can, we should go on the app, book our 'preferred' time of say 6:30 for a 2 top only, then once onboard, we can see the nightly activities times, and decide if we want to show up at that time ?

or will nightly activities, ALL Venues, not just Princess Theatre , be viewable at that time pre-cruise ?

Entertainment/activities will start to be loaded approx 6 months out, but schedule will not be final until within 30 days of sailing (and still subject to on ship changes).

ANY dining reservations will be able to be modified in real time via the app, tv or by calling guest services/dine line once onboard, and if a guest chooses to dine somewhere other than where/when  they made a MDR ressie, that previous ressie will be cancelled automatically.  No shows will get a reminder on the app and it will ask if they want table held, released, or make a new ressie at another venue/date.

IF all of this works as they outlined then it will be a FANTASTIC system

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Entertainment/activities will start to be loaded approx 6 months out, but schedule will not be final until within 30 days of sailing (and still subject to on ship changes).

ANY dining reservations will be able to be modified in real time via the app, tv or by calling guest services/dine line once onboard, and if a guest chooses to dine somewhere other than where/when  they made a MDR ressie, that previous ressie will be cancelled automatically.  No shows will get a reminder on the app and it will ask if they want table held, released, or make a new ressie at another venue/date.

Sounds like work not vacation. I can see this as necessary during covid protocols, but not once they are lifted. Also sounds like it will wind up being another form of traditional dining. I will not care if I get messages on my phone. The phone is off and in the safe. Will not be happy if we sit at the same table same people each evening, but that is the way it looks. We will just make reservations and show or not show. The buffet may get more action from this plan.

Just trying to mention that it doesn't sound fantastic to all. 

49 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

it benefits the tech savvy in that they will table and show hog the best times - just another form of chair hogs is all it is

not a fan at all, but what choice do I have other than to play their game

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I can't remember from my last cruises on the Caribbean Princes for sure, but I seem to remember one of the two center MDR was ALWAYS stuffy and hot.  I know the Caribbean has been plagued with AC issues for years, and that Crooners was often miserably warm in the evenings as well.

There was a multi-day travel agent seminar last week and they had a detailed presentaion of the "Dine My Way" program.  The dining times will be bookable pre-cruise in the Medallion app only at first and guests will be able to set up "whole cruise" with same time same table guaranteed for full cruise, or make day by day ressies.   Eventually the ability to make pre-cruise ressies will be incorporated into the cruise Personalizer.    Princess Customer Service reps will supposed be able to assist with pre cruise ressies for those who do not use smart phones.   In all cases it was indicated that the guest would be able to select the dining room and time of their choice.  Space will be capacity controlled based on anticipated length of dining service.  Table #s are not selectable at booking, but once on the ship your table # will supposedly appear in the app.  For those not using smartphones/app the onboard TV system will allow you to make ressies.  At some point in future the ability to select early/late traditional or anytime at booking will go away.  Those who have booked and selected Traditional dining before the conversion date will have their requests honored.  Suite/Club Class/Elite/Platinum will have access to the dining system immediately after booking and all other guests will have access after they make final payment. 

37 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Did they mention Club Class.? Or as stated awhile back , will it be the same ?

Suites/Club Class will be able to make ressies in the Club Class Dining area or Specialties using the app.  It did not address making standard MDR arrangements for Suites/Club Class wishing to dine with non-Club Class guests.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

it benefits the tech savvy in that they will table and show hog the best times - just another form of chair hogs is all it is

not a fan at all, but what choice do I have other than to play their game

There will continue to not be any show reservations and as far as MDR table hogging, seats will be released if guests are a no-show within a set time window, so no hogging there.  Guests who wish to NOT use smart phone can call Princess pre cruise to make ressies, use the TV on ship or call the dine line on ship if they want ressies, or just walk up.  No one is being penalized.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Any dining room except the one on deck 6 aft.  

I would agree with this almost all the time for us. But the next two cruises are in aft cabins on Caribe. For those two, I think it would be simple for us to just use the aft stairs. 

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Sorry, I do not plan my vacation months ahead hour by hour.

Reading the Patter the night before is enough for me to figure out what I want to do the next day and even then not be tied down to making reservations for on board activities. And if I have anytime dining (we usually do traditional), showing up at the dining room when we want to is what anytime means, not six months before the cruise picking a time to eat.

I would not trust any onboard schedules 30 days out much less earlier than that. Past experience has been that the CD and staff do not now what is happening the next day much less before the cruise. Guest lecturers always have told us they do not know what time their presentation will be the next day until they read the Patter.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I would not trust any onboard schedules 30 days out much less earlier than that. Past experience has been that the CD and staff do not now what is happening the next day much less before the cruise. Guest lecturers always have told us they do not know what time their presentation will be the next day until they read the Patter.

I have been on b2b cruises where the ED and/or CD changed during our time on board. Show times, and other activity schedules also changed quite significantly. So agree. If you plan your dining around activity schedules, like we do, how can you possibly and accurately plan your dining schedule months or years in advance. On the other hand if you enjoy dining at the same time planning your schedule is easy.

I believe Princess is fixing a system that isn't broken just as a wow factor for the app. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I would not trust any onboard schedules 30 days out much less earlier than that. Past experience has been that the CD and staff do not now what is happening the next day much less before the cruise.

Actually, I do think they have a pretty standard template of activities as I see a lot of repeating patterns from cruise to cruise.  I do agree that showtimes and other special events can fluctuate in start times and that some things do seem to change on the fly.  That said, barring something like tossing seas, they know when they are going to schedule the theater shows on regular nights and formal nights, etc. 

But changes do get made based on demand, etc.  I would not be looking to plan my cruise activities out from home.  But, I do know many folks come on here asking when formal nights are as they either want to skip them or know when to book a specialty restaurant.  We experienced cruisers can pretty much tell 99% when these are, but it could be useful to others. 

We have managed before working with the daily Patter.  But, I do like the idea of potentially booking a set dining time and DR without visiting the MD in the afternoon of Day 1.  As long as we don't vary too far off the "normal" early time, we should be fine for shows.  I am expecting they will schedule the main events as before, considering the prime default early and late dining times. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, skynight said:

I believe Princess is fixing a system that isn't broken just as a wow factor for the app.

This could be a premature judgment.  I think we should wait to see it in practice.  It appears to give more flexibility to those who want to book fixed dining times.  It also appears to give flexibility to the AT folks as they will be able to use the app to book a table once they know when they want to dine.  Seems to me it beats waiting in line - but that option will be available as well. 

Seems to me folks can leverage the new feature, or ignore it and proceed as before.