Loving these CDC Guidelines!

nini

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

According to CLIA, less than 9% of N.American cruise passengers are under 12 years. If it will get the cruise ships sailing out of FL sooner, I doubt anyone will worry too much about excluding this group.

Very difficult to reach a sensible compromise when the parties can't even agree on the facts.

60% of all cruises in North America originate in Florida.  If 15% of all cruisers are 16 years old or under that is a significant number for Florida, especially since the majority of those 16 and under probably originate from Florida.  I sure would not want to cut 10-15% of my potential passengers out of the loop because they cannot meet some CDC imposed criteria.  So, you go hard line to have room to move to the middle and get some compromise.  Not sure what facts you seem to think the parties can't agree on that would prevent compromise.  Politics and business...everything is negotiable!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

60% of all cruises in North America originate in Florida.  If 15% of all cruisers are 16 years old or under that is a significant number for Florida, especially since the majority of those 16 and under probably originate from Florida.  I sure would not want to cut 10-15% of my potential passengers out of the loop because they cannot meet some CDC imposed criteria.  So, you go hard line to have room to move to the middle and get some compromise.  Not sure what facts you seem to think the parties can't agree on that would prevent compromise.  Politics and business...everything is negotiable!!

The Pfizer vaccine is approved for use with those age 12 and up. As I previously posted, less than 9% of passengers in previous years was under 12.

See, even you and I cannot agree on the pertinent facts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

The Pfizer vaccine is approved for use with those age 12 and up. As I previously posted, less than 9% of passengers in previous years was under 12.

See, even you and I cannot agree on the pertinent facts.

I agree on the facts you presented.  Not sure where we disagreed.  But part of a conversation is getting to the facts.  I used 16 but will go with 12 if that makes if more equitable.  So let's go with 10% to make the math easy.  60% of all passengers board in Florida. There were roughly 14 million passengers in 2019 so that's about 8,400,000 passengers in Florida.  10% of that would be 840,000 passengers, but since I would assume they can't travel alone that would preclude the parents boarding as well.  Now we are up to just over 2,500,000 customers.  I'm guessing those 12 year olds are probably joined occasionally by brothers and/or sisters, so I'd venture to say the low end effected would be around 3,000,000 passengers.  Maybe that's a small number to some, but I'm guessing that revenue for Florida can be quite significant, especially since it usually is accompanied by other Florida adventures.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I feel confident DeSantis took the hard line so that he has room to negotiate something that works for all the cruise lines that utilize Florida ports.  Pretty tough to say all passengers must show proof of vaccination when many passengers are not of age to receive a vaccine (think Disney Cruise Lines, Carnival Cruise Lines).  Yeah it works great for Princess that can survive on an older clientele, but that's only  a piece of the Florida cruise industry.  I'm willing to bet a sensible compromise will be the end result and predicated by the hard line going in!!

No one is going to ask for proof of vaccination for those under the age for which the vaccines have yet been approved. And the CDC did allow some leeway with their rule for 95% of passengers must be vaccinated.

And who knows how much longer it will be until the age for which the vaccines become approved moves down even more. It would be nice if it was before school restarts.

Huge difference in a national based ( or even state based ) VACCINE PASSPORT and showing PROOF OF VACCINATION ( card )

and both can be compromised - hacked, or counterfeited ..

j/s

3 and 1/2 months since second dose ( may need a booster before next cruise - no problem )

2 years today - no soda - not a single one ( never a big soda drinker anyway )

43 days since last alcohol drink - beer, wine, scotch - nada ( yeah, this is a big one for me )

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ombud said:

NY has Transatlantics. In fact I booked a Copenhagen -> NY cruise in 2022

True but the majority come to Florida and start in Florida. If the southern state residents have to add flight costs that is a deterrent right there! 

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Huge difference in a national based ( or even state based ) VACCINE PASSPORT and showing PROOF OF VACCINATION ( card )

and both can be compromised - hacked, or counterfeited ..

j/s

3 and 1/2 months since second dose ( may need a booster before next cruise - no problem )

2 years today - no soda - not a single one ( never a big soda drinker anyway )

43 days since last alcohol drink - beer, wine, scotch - nada ( yeah, this is a big one for me )

Just about anything can be hacked or faked. That is the tech life we lead these days but most proof will be legitimate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

True but the majority come to Florida and start in Florida. If the southern state residents have to add flight costs that is a deterrent right there! 

So I looked at Florida costs. DANG they're CHEAP!! I can do December for 1/2 the costs there in the same category. Thats probably why so many cruise from your state. 

But I'm still doing a TA to NYC. So much to do in that city 🤩

• Like 1

The problem with not using Florida ports is that the Transatlantics would be very difficult and the Caribbean cruise would be more expensive.

As for the gov-he wants the workers to have their cruise and port jobs back but then he gives in to pressure to prevent vaccine passports! He is very conflicted and causing many problems.

As for the Floridians not wanting vaccine passports that is not strictly true. Many of us do want them. It is the powerful businesses that do not want them.

Edited by gmjc2
Posted twice!!!
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

So I looked at Florida costs. DANG they're CHEAP!! I can do December for 1/2 the costs there in the same category. Thats probably why so many cruise from your state. 

But I'm still doing a TA to NYC. So much to do in that city 🤩

You are funny!  Are you originally from Texas by chance?   😁

Loved your phrase! 

I am British but been a yank at heart for 50 years. Hubby was born in Wichita Kansas.  Our daughter is a Mississippi Miss but also a mixed bag with my UK and Dad's US citizenship.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Pretty tough to say all passengers must show proof of vaccination when many passengers are not of age to receive a vaccine (think Disney Cruise Lines, Carnival Cruise Lines). 

That is why the CDC says 95% passengers being vaccinated is the goal. That leaves room for those who medically cannot be vaccinated and for children under the age of 12.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, caribill said:

That is why the CDC says 95% passengers being vaccinated is the goal. That leaves room for those who medically cannot be vaccinated and for children under the age of 12.

So you think Disney is OK with these limits?  

22 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

So you think Disney is OK with these limits?  

No. I think Disney and perhaps Carnival Cruises (branch in Carnival Corp) will do test cruises to avoid the 98%/95% requirement

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 6:03 AM, gmjc2 said:

The problem with not using Florida ports is that the Transatlantics would be very difficult and the Caribbean cruise would be more expensive.

As for the gov-he wants the workers to have their cruise and port jobs back but then he gives in to pressure to prevent vaccine passports! He is very conflicted and causing many problems.

As for the Floridians not wanting vaccine passports that is not strictly true. Many of us do want them. It is the powerful businesses that do not want them.

Not certain the order would apply to transatlantics.  If the EU or Britain required proof of vaccination for clearance to travel then you would need foreign governmental sanction to board the ship.  Basically if you don’t meet the requirements for a visa or whatever you want to call it then you don’t get to travel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, matadams4u said:

Not certain the order would apply to transatlantics.  If the EU or Britain required proof of vaccination for clearance to travel then you would need foreign governmental sanction to board the ship.  Basically if you don’t meet the requirements for a visa or whatever you want to call it then you don’t get to travel.

Even with round trip Caribbean cruises from Florida, does DeSantis expect the unvaccinated pax will just stay on the ship for the entire cruise when the islands on the itinerary require vaccines? And are his anti-vax supporters who cruise ok with doing just that? Talk about winning the battle and losing the war. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edited by gmjc2
KEEPS POSTING THIS! Anyone know how to stop it?

6 hours ago, matadams4u said:

The Transatlantics run both ways so leaving from US would still be an issue with the current Florida rule even if Europe has another idea!

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

The Transatlantics run both ways so leaving from US would still be an issue with the current Florida rule even if Europe has another idea!

Planes run both ways too.  In my experience I have not been able to board a plane without presenting the documentation required by a country for entry.  It will be interesting to see if people try to board airplanes without the proper documentation because of an interpretation of a state law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went to UK recently. Had to have a test and health/locator form for UK before boarding this end. Test for boarding to fly home. Also a form stating my reason for flying for the UK govt before boarding. While there- 2 tests  and 10 days quarantine.

None of this has changed with the new protocols from CDC or gov Desantos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, gmjc2 said:

Actually the majority are between NY and Southampton, unless you are talking strictly Princess only.

The NY transatlantics are mostly Cunard. We have done 10 on that line.

NCL/Celebrity/RoyalC/ Princess and more mostly go out of and in to  Florida ports. Been on 11 of those.

Booked on one from Barcelona to FT. Lauderdale in Nov.

Edited by gmjc2

8 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

The NY transatlantics are mostly Cunard. We have done 10 on that line.

NCL/Celebrity/RoyalC/ Princess and more mostly go out of and in to  Florida ports. Been on 11 of those.

Booked on one from Barcelona to FT. Lauderdale in Nov.

Same here.... about half on Cunard out of NY and half on Princess to Ft Lauderdale, sometimes as part of the same trip.  If we have time to spare I try to get us to Europe on the QM2 then come back on Princess, then take the train back to NY.  Haven't yet done a Cunard Grand Voyage but would like to when the right itinerary comes along.