The Daily for Sunday May 23, 2021

richwmn

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think I found the dog at fault this morning on my walk around the block.  He'd better be quiet tonight.  I don't want to have to shut windows unless it is way too cold or way too hot.  But, the dog might force me to do so.

You don’t have a noise bylaw where you live?  If dogs are barking incessantly it’s against the noise bylaw here and the town will step in.

If he is outside all night, he better have shelter, food and water.  If not, in most locations here, it can be reported to the SPCA.  I have been known to talk to a neighbour who was leaving their dog out (nicely) and told them it was in humane and keep it in the house for the dog’s sake.  I don’t want to have to report them. (Mind you that was in winter when it was way below freezing, the dog’s water was frozen and the dog was escaping constantly.  I was the one returning it and saw the condition).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all. Sunny today. Our rains have moved on. Friday was heavy rain all day. Yesterday we had some showers, but the Humane Society did get its annual meeting conducted outdoors with no problem. I delivered the kitten to eager hands and he is already in a foster care. He is sweet, but vocal.

I love turtles, but never had one as a child. As to taffy.... I love it but my fillings don't, so it is on the "no go" list for me along other sticky candies. Probably just as well.

I have looked long and hard at the Alaska cruises, but I think this summer is going to be devoted to getting the condo in order and overseeing the work on the outside to completion. Home Depot and I are about to come to blows over my window and the missing patio door. They still do not know where the missing 1/2 patio door was delivered. I told them I knew where it was not delivered and they promised, again, to try to expedite the replacement. Unfortunately they are really the only game in town and seem overwhelmed.... and I suspect sort of experienced staff like everyone else. Meanwhile, the painters return tomorrow. I am seeing signs around town that state "we are paying above unemployment". Durango is a expensive place to live - especially housing although the city has put the breaks on vacation rentals.

Susan

• Like 15

1 hour ago, superoma said:

I hope you will continue the gardening tips even when Roy takes back the whole care and celebration lists. The garden tip adds another fun note to the daily. 

I can try - but I don’t know if I can think of that many tips.  I’ll try and see.  Now, if questions appear on the Daily or ideas, I’d be happy to address them on the Garden Club so everyone has them.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I had a stroke last November and lost 40% of my strength, so this trip is a celebration of being a survivor.

That is so worthy of celebration 👍. Congratulations on what you have accomplished!!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

That is so worthy of celebration 👍. Congratulations on what you have accomplished!!!

Thank you!  It's been challenging, stroke recovery never really ends.  

• Like 12

Good morning, all! @rafinmdRoy, welcome back to,easing into the lists again! I liked taffy as a child, but don’t eat it much these days. Turtle hatching season story - when DH and I were still working, this was the time of year the new deckhands were hired and trained. As years went by, I began referring to the annual crop as ‘The Sea Turtles’. They suddenly emerge in a group on shore at the same time each year. They are so new and eager, and cute in their new uniforms and shiny new vests with no scars. But while you hope for the best, you know few will remain by the end of their first year, and some won’t make it to the ocean at all.
Dinner sounds good, although Roy’s rack of lamb would be my first choice. I never cared for Chardonnay until I had it unoaked. It was wonderful! No wonder Chardonnay is one of the main grapes in Champagne. I couldn’t understand why anyone would take a good wine and make it taste like it was used to rinse ashtrays. Yet some people love it! It just shows how different the palate is from person to person.

Like @StLouisCruisers, I will be going to Luanda on next years GA, but haven’t been yet. Then a few months later we return on the GWV, same port, different season. All pictures eagerly welcomed!

And of course, Happy Sunday on this chilly long weekend as out BHBs gear up for summer and vaccinate their crews!

AF3948F2-940B-40A0-9284-4315BD0D4911.thumb.jpeg.773bdd989ef01cb0b3df9cde2df92f74.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 17

25 minutes ago, dfish said:

@atexsix My congratulations to you on being a survivor.   This aging stuff is for the birds.

I think I found the dog at fault this morning on my walk around the block.  He'd better be quiet tonight.  I don't want to have to shut windows unless it is way too cold or way too hot.  But, the dog might force me to do so.

Next on the agenda:  painting the light post.

Thanks.  Yes, aging, omg.  A couple of years ago when I turned 50 everybody at the party told me how wonderful my 50s would be, it's been medical issue on top of medical issue almost from the get go.  I have to continue to wear a mask because I'm health compromised, but I'm fine with it for now because I'm not getting sick again right before I sail.  I don't want a fever from some random illness keeping me off the ship or confined to my stateroom.  I wonder how they handle that?  Not everybody has the same internal temp, some people run higher than others and it's completely normal.  Meclizine, the drug in sea sickness medicine, can also give you a low fever as a side effect. 

On the dog: here's what our neighbors do, we're in townhouses, and they leave their deck door ajar so the dog can go in/out as it pleases.  They don't do it at night or in the winter, but it's still annoying because it echoes throughout the house.  

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning all. Sunny today. Our rains have moved on. Friday was heavy rain all day. Yesterday we had some showers, but the Humane Society did get its annual meeting conducted outdoors with no problem. I delivered the kitten to eager hands and he is already in a foster care. He is sweet, but vocal.

I love turtles, but never had one as a child. As to taffy.... I love it but my fillings don't, so it is on the "no go" list for me along other sticky candies. Probably just as well.

I have looked long and hard at the Alaska cruises, but I think this summer is going to be devoted to getting the condo in order and overseeing the work on the outside to completion. Home Depot and I are about to come to blows over my window and the missing patio door. They still do not know where the missing 1/2 patio door was delivered. I told them I knew where it was not delivered and they promised, again, to try to expedite the replacement. Unfortunately they are really the only game in town and seem overwhelmed.... and I suspect sort of experienced staff like everyone else. Meanwhile, the painters return tomorrow. I am seeing signs around town that state "we are paying above unemployment". Durango is a expensive place to live - especially housing although the city has put the breaks on vacation rentals.

Susan

I always put off Home Depot visits as long as I can get away with because every time I go in there I can't find anything and neither can their employees, last month it was for a portable ac unit that required traversing the entire store for an hour! because 3 different employees would point me in the wrong direction (I wondered if they were in back watching me go in circles on camera and having a grand ol time).  

• Like 8

That picture you posted Roy is jigsaw puzzle worthy. Thanks all for your contributions here. Drink sounds good if you had a few friends over to share it. I remember having a turtle with the standard plastic bowl and umbrella but it didn’t survive very long. Now that the rain and hail have stopped I have outside chores to fill my day. Have a great weekend. 

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I always put off Home Depot visits as long as I can get away with because every time I go in there I can't find anything and neither can their employees, last month it was for a portable ac unit that required traversing the entire store for an hour! because 3 different employees would point me in the wrong direction (I wondered if they were in back watching me go in circles on camera and having a grand ol time).  

DH and I have problems locating items in those big hardware/lumber stores too.  So he's started searching on their website first for what he wants, then writes down the aisle # and bin # to at least get us started in the right direction.  Sure helped us!

• Like 12

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy and Jacqui for the lists and also to the drinks and recipe ladies!  My turtle story - when younger DD was at university in London, Ontario, she acquired a red-eared slider (imported from the muddy Mississippi, I guess), and when she came back home to Virginia, she brought "Dork" with her.  He got bigger and bigger, until finally he was about the size of a Big Mac.  He lived in a large aquarium  and loved raw hamburger.  We were packing up, preparing to retire and move back to Canada, and I noticed an article in the paper about the National Zoo building a moat around the monkey island which they planned to keep warm all winter so the animals would not escape and they were going to put some turtles in it, so I called and asked them if they would like our Dork and they said yes.  They sexed him and told us he was a male, and then DD was allowed to go into the monkey enclosure and release him into the moat to join a bunch of other re-eared sliders that all looked just like him.  He swam out and climbed onto a log and we hope he is still happy there.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH and I have problems locating items in those big hardware/lumber stores too.  So he's started searching on their website first for what he wants, then writes down the aisle # and bin # to at least get us started in the right direction.  Sure helped us!

I tried that.  Didn't work for me.  Nor did the sight of a customer helplessly wandering around lost, cell phone in hand, garner the attention of 50 employees.  /sigh

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a 2013 Blount cruise from New Orleans to St. Petersburg.  On May 23 we visited Biloxi, Mississippi.

dawn0523.jpg

Roy

Beautiful!  I wish I knew how you all upload these amazing pictures, I've searched and searched CC and can't find any directions.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Beautiful!  I wish I knew how you all upload these amazing pictures, I've searched and searched CC and can't find any directions.

To upload files on CC if you are using the website, when you click quote, you have the option choose files (circled in red)

8EF167AE-9F6B-4EE9-A577-6F44F8B3CF2E.thumb.jpeg.32100f1df4137628b34d78dee7c7dd51.jpeg

just click photos (in green) and your library will pop up and you can add whatever you want.

1497D6E1-A8E7-4436-B8A0-65D13210D3B8.thumb.jpeg.da1e0988e4d98f9a37cc17a14cf05360.jpeg

Select the one you like, click add

3BE9E988-C006-41B0-A676-0822597A4F5A.thumb.jpeg.7b8a46370f487b06f74650dec94f89c8.jpeg

And your chosen photos will show below your post in uploaded images.

DA1CC5CC-023C-4FA9-B19C-A34B9CA5D7A5.thumb.jpeg.bbd2ac8390e3c11c2cce18fc7980dead.jpeg

Just click the + sign once you decide where your want them to go in your post.

Hope this helps.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

To upload files on CC if you are using the website, when you click quote, you have the option choose files (circled in red)

8EF167AE-9F6B-4EE9-A577-6F44F8B3CF2E.thumb.jpeg.32100f1df4137628b34d78dee7c7dd51.jpeg

just click photos (in green) and your library will pop up and you can add whatever you want.

1497D6E1-A8E7-4436-B8A0-65D13210D3B8.thumb.jpeg.da1e0988e4d98f9a37cc17a14cf05360.jpeg

3BE9E988-C006-41B0-A676-0822597A4F5A.thumb.jpeg.7b8a46370f487b06f74650dec94f89c8.jpeg

DA1CC5CC-023C-4FA9-B19C-A34B9CA5D7A5.thumb.jpeg.bbd2ac8390e3c11c2cce18fc7980dead.jpeg

Hope this helps.

It helps a ton, thank you so much for taking the time, now I will see if I can find my past cruise pictures, 500 from the last cruise alone, I tend to go a bit crazy, especially in ports.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hope this helps.

Just tested in another thread, worked great, thanks again!  I think the last time I tried it was on one of CC's earlier platforms where it seemed a bit more complicated. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

Just tested in another thread, worked great, thanks again!  I think the last time I tried it was on one of CC's earlier platforms where it seemed a bit more complicated. 

Yes, it was much harder in the past.  I used to use Tap a Talk for my live threads as it was much easier.

Now, with the change to the CC forum, it is much easier to upload pics and I deleted my Tap a Talk app.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

My rhyme for picking up pennies is a bit more wordy ... "See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.  See a penny, let it lay, have bad luck all the day."  

That was mine too.

• Like 6

A very late good morning (It'll probably be afternoon by the time I finish this.) from a still abnormally cool and wet central Texas.  It looks like our rain will continue through Tuesday, but like most Texas weather that can change.  I'm a little late today, as we had a quiet, relaxing Sunday morning. 

Turtle day is worth celebrating, and hopefully the continued efforts to save the endangered ones will help save them  I too always pick up pennies I see on the ground, and I usually give them to DH so I won't have to dig our my billfold to stash them away.  I wish the US would follow Canada's lead and quit using pennies.   DH likes taffy, but it has never been my thing since most is not chocolate.  

The meal sounds interesting, but tonight we'll be having more leftover ham with baked sweet potatoes and slaw.  I will occasionally have a rum punch, but will pass on the wine.

@Mike07 Welcome to the Daily. You've come to a very friendly spot on CC.

@Seasick Sailor I like the idea of turtle shelters.  We watched some of the races at Circuit of the Americas in Austin.  Our DSIL is staying there in a tent during the races, but DD declined to join him in the tent.  She may drive out for some of the races.

@TiogaCruiser  An early  🎂  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DH!  🥂

@atexsix  Congratulations on being a survivor, and best wishes for your continued recovery.   🥂 Enjoy your cruise.  🛳️

@rafinmd  Roy, glad to see you feeling well enough to resume care of the celebration list.  Loved your sunrise picture today with the reflections in the water.

For those battling with the big box home improvement stores, we have resorted to looking up the aisle and bin numbers, but mainly we look at the end signs on the aisle and keep our fingers crossed 🤞  they haven't moved things and forgotten to change the signs.  😁

We have been to several ports in western Africa, but today's port is not one of them.  Would love to see some pictures.

I wondered about the difference between turtles and tortoises so I Googled it.  It turns out that turtle is an "umbrella name for all 200 species of the Testudines group", which also includes terrapins.  Who knew?

The differences in the group are that turtles can live on land or in water; terrapins on land and in brackish water, while tortoises can only live on land.  Without webbed feet they can not survive in water.  I have pictures of two tortoises we've interacted with.

This is a desert tortoise we came across on one of the trails outside our neighborhood in Quartzsite.  He was in the middle of one of the tracks, and could have been runover by someone not paying attention to the road.  Yes, it is against the law to handle one, but for his safety, we did move him into a nice big sunny spot.

This is him/her in the road.

IMG_5690.thumb.JPG.ca3cdf9a91a8d16680d8bd1317e7ad6b.JPG

He seemed to like his new spot

IMG_5696.thumb.JPG.40a8c3e0af34fab4ea30459013926ca2.JPG

In 2000 on the P&O world cruise, we stopped in the Seychelles, where as usual we rented a car and toured the main island.  One stop was a hotel where they had giant tortoises (which are native to the islands) in an enclosure.  We were allowed to go in the enclosure and interact with the tortoises.  One in particular, like to have the underside of his neck rubbed or scratched, and he followed me around.  He would even stand up as tall as possible and stretch his neck up as high as it could go, to make it easy for me to reach it.  When it was time for us to leave, we leaned they can move faster than expected as he hurried after me to get more neck rubbing.  Not sure if this was the one or not, but he seems more alert.

P3150580.thumb.JPG.45f7775b5dd9b933e298e7229b10e9e0.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, atexsix said:

It helps a ton, thank you so much for taking the time, now I will see if I can find my past cruise pictures, 500 from the last cruise alone, I tend to go a bit crazy, especially in ports.

I also go a bit crazy with photos, especially now with digital cameras.  I'll take a few pictures of something hoping one will be good.  I am now in the tedious process of going through 20 years of photos to weed out duplicates and bad pictures.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Sometimes when you resize a pic before posting it, it goes topsy-turvy.

You can either return it to its original, very large size, or take a screenshot of it and then resize the screenshot to post it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry no pictures of Luanda , Angola from me either . Wonder how many cruises land there each year …….

On the other hand I have a little bit of a Turtle story which happened to us this week . We live on a larger treed property with a good size natural pond .

DW Martha heard something knocking on the wall and went outside to check who or what it was and close to where she thought the knocking took place she saw this turtle , I don’t think it was “Dork “ @VictOriann  because this was a snapping turtle . He or she , I did not check carefully under the shield , seemed to be hung up on a wooden wall near the front door . Have a look at the claws …….

IMG_9170.jpg.39c0ee7bf87fc71a502199298abef32f.jpg

1460066070_IMG_45092.thumb.JPG.e5400283419566ee1227c9dc098f306b.JPG

Martha tried to entice it with some of our freshly picked lettuce but that did not work, it  just would not go for it , no movement whatsoever .

So I put on my gardening gloves on and put my hands towards the end of the shield which was about a foot and a half long . The minute I lifted it off the RR ties ................ all of a sudden his head snapped toward the back and I dropped it and it fell on its back ........ I saw its yellow tummy ,……. but within 10 seconds I moved him right side up right near my delicious lettuce .

IMG_4510.thumb.JPG.8f011623dd2ff37406d32fc53ede2222.JPG

IMG_4512.thumb.JPG.60ac406e000d3a702c7476db42370cbd.JPG

Still no movement at all , I hoped I had not hurt it or it did not have a concussion but as long as we stood there for a while waiting for it to move it did not even blink an eye . So we went inside and looked through the window but than it was nowhere to be seen  , after some scouting we found it  “running “ besides the back of the house and into the forest .

So this was our excitement for the week , sorry I did not get it’s name nor it's age but from the looks of it it was not a  “spring chicken “ 

Tony 😀😀
  • Like 17
  • Haha 2