Cruising in Australia in 2022.

According to the SHS the capacity of Howard Springs as of March was 850, but it was supposed to rise to 2000 starting as from the end of April but according to the Fed Labor leader Anthony Albanese this morning on ABC, capacity hasn't been increased at all. 

This gives more info about Howard Springs - Howard Springs

Leigh

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

According to the SHS the capacity of Howard Springs as of March was 850, but it was supposed to rise to 2000 starting as from the end of April but according to the Fed Labor leader Anthony Albanese this morning on ABC, capacity hasn't been increased at all. 

This gives more info about Howard Springs - Howard Springs

Leigh

Another government promise that has actually happened? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

A general question, excuse my ignorance,  If you have been totally vaccinated, could you still be a carrier and pass on the virus to someone who has not been vaccinated?

Yes, although it is believed to be very low risk.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Well then, what would be the risk then of opening travel to people who have been fully vaccinated.

Hubbie and I discussed,  would you go into quarantine on arriving back in Australia if allowed to travel, and our answer is Yes.  Life is passing us by, 

We have had our 1st injection and booked for a our 2nd, 

• Like 1

Remember even fully vaccinated you can still catch the virus although it is believed that it would not be as severe. So where would you risk travelling to? Assuming you could get flights there and back, and get into a quarantine hotel. Would you be prepared to stay overseas until all those people who have bee  trying to get back to Australia for months have made it back? Remember we have a cap on arrivals based on quarantine accommodation limits.

15 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Well then, what would be the risk then of opening travel to people who have been fully vaccinated.

Hubbie and I discussed,  would you go into quarantine on arriving back in Australia if allowed to travel, and our answer is Yes.  Life is passing us by, 

No, I would not want to go into quarantine after a cruise for example. It would take away all the enjoyment of the cruise or even a holiday overseas. As well as cost us another $4-5 thousand. I would rather wait until our borders are open. We are scheduled to have our second vaccination in four weeks. 

Leigh

14 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

The current official policy is:

"Passengers travelling to Australia must:

• be tested for COVID-19, 72 hours or less, prior to the scheduled flight departure
  •  display evidence of a negative test result at the time of check-in.

People arriving in Australia may be quarantined for 14 days and might have to comply with other state and territory travel restrictions." (My emphasis on the wriggle room wording)

However, it has been reported that this policy could change in the future.

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Remember even fully vaccinated you can still catch the virus although it is believed that it would not be as severe. So where would you risk travelling to? Assuming you could get flights there and back, and get into a quarantine hotel. Would you be prepared to stay overseas until all those people who have bee  trying to get back to Australia for months have made it back? Remember we have a cap on arrivals based on quarantine accommodation limits.

I would go and get on the cruise that we will now be cancelling for the 4th time.  The NCL cruise is going ahead out of Athens in November and the american CC members are so happy that they will be able to go on this cruise and planning day trips etc.  I would not go unless I had return flights booked and on Webjet I did a mock booking and it is possible.  As for the quarantine when we get back, no problem, we always say we need a holiday, couple of weeks to get over the holiday, so I would be happy to read etc.   But if we are have been vaccinated and we have negative results on testing when we arrive back then what is the problem?  Fortunately we are retired and can quarantine but we do not have forever to do our bucket list. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I would go and get on the cruise that we will now be cancelling for the 4th time.  The NCL cruise is going ahead out of Athens in November and the american CC members are so happy that they will be able to go on this cruise and planning day trips etc.  I would not go unless I had return flights booked and on Webjet I did a mock booking and it is possible.  As for the quarantine when we get back, no problem, we always say we need a holiday, couple of weeks to get over the holiday, so I would be happy to read etc.   But if we are have been vaccinated and we have negative results on testing when we arrive back then what is the problem?  Fortunately we are retired and can quarantine but we do not have forever to do our bucket list. 

So you'd happily take one of the limited quarantine spaces over someone who has been trying to get back to Australia for months just so you can have your holiday sooner rather than later and can afford to pay whatever to ensure you get flights. 🤔

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So you'd happily take one of the limited quarantine spaces over someone who has been trying to get back to Australia for months just so you can have your holiday sooner rather than later and can afford to pay whatever to ensure you get flights. 🤔

You are missing the point,  they are not vaccinated and I am, they went overseas without having returned flights booked and not having been vaccinated,   flights on Webjet or Singapore airlines are not expensive, just the usual prices, I was saying that if we are vaccinated and do not test positive then why would we need to quarantine, I'll leave the quarantine spaces for those who need it,  can't the situation be changed if you are vaccinated.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You obviously haven't checked what the cost of flights are

2 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

You are missing the point,  they are not vaccinated and I am, they went overseas without having returned flights booked and not having been vaccinated,   flights on Webjet or Singapore airlines are not expensive, just the usual prices, I was saying that if we are vaccinated and do not test positive then why would we need to quarantine, I'll leave the quarantine spaces for those who need it,  can't the situation be changed if you are vaccinated.  

We might find that the situation does change for people who are vaccinated and who test negative to COVID. Maybe soon, they won't have to quarantine or, if so, not for so long.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Many trying to return have had their flights cancelled time and time again. That could happen to you as well, then what would you do? Having a return flight booked does not guarantee that your flight will not be cancelled.

Leigh

At present, the talk is the govt is investigating fully vaccinated citizens and permanent residents being allowed to home quarantine for 14 days.

I posted an article in the last couple of days in which people vaccinated overseas have not had a clear answer about whether their status will be accepted.

15 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Firstly how do you know they won't have been vaccinated by then?

Secondly most of those people went overseas before the pandemic, often to work, and have not been able to get affordable flights back or have had their flight cancelled over and over again.

Thirdly there is no guarantee those Webjet flight will actually happen and even if they do arrival numbers will probably still be capped so why do you think you should have priority over people who have been trying to get back here for months?

Finally just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you are not still at risk of catching the virus and testing positive. You may not get very sick but you probably wouldn't be able to return to Australia until you tested negative.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is will the virus mutate again. It's a big concern. Plus countries who had been doing very well at containing it are suddenly betting big outbreaks ie Taiwan and Vietnam.

Until the vaccinations are proven to significantly reduce the outbreaks around the world so that it is essentally contained then any overseas travel, other than to bubble countries, is a big risk vaccinated or not.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Firstly how do you know they won't have been vaccinated by then?

Secondly most of those people went overseas before the pandemic, often to work, and have not been able to get affordable flights back or have had their flight cancelled over and over again.

Thirdly there is no guarantee those Webjet flight will actually happen and even if they do arrival numbers will probably still be capped so why do you think you should have priority over people who have been trying to get back here for months?

Finally just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you are not still at risk of catching the virus and testing positive. You may not get very sick but you probably wouldn't be able to return to Australia until you tested negative.

Singapore airlines flies into Brisbane everyday, so are you saying that if I have a flight booked with Singapore airlines, and the rules change that if vaccinated and if on returning we receive a negative to testing, that Singapore airlines won't honor the booking?  Of course, this is all summation, because the rules have to change to be able to leave in the first place. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Another thing to consider is will the virus mutate again. It's a big concern. Plus countries who had been doing very well at containing it are suddenly betting big outbreaks ie Taiwan and Vietnam.

Until the vaccinations are proven to significantly reduce the outbreaks around the world so that it is essentally contained then any overseas travel, other than to bubble countries, is a big risk vaccinated or not.

Medical experts in Japan are very concerned that if the Olympics go ahead there this year as planned, there's a good chance of an awful mutant strain developing from all the strains that may come in from all over the world with the athletes and support staff. We really can't afford for this to become any more infectious or fatal than it already is.

I notice that the Federal government messaging today has changed to include the probability of death for unvaccinated people, specifically the over 70's. Apparently you have a one in ten chance of death if you get covid over 70. Compared to the chance of a severe adverse effect after the vaccine, I'd choose the vaccine every time. (I assume that figure is for the original type covid and not taking into account any chronic health conditions a person may have to make your chances of death worse).

8 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Singapore airlines flies into Brisbane everyday, so are you saying that if I have a flight booked with Singapore airlines, and the rules change that if vaccinated and if on returning we receive a negative to testing, that Singapore airlines won't honor the booking?  Of course, this is all summation, because the rules have to change to be able to leave in the first place. 

It's possible. Flights get have been getting cancelled, that's why there is a backlog of people trying to get home.

Another thing to consider is travel insurance. Are you able to get it full stop. If so, does it cover Covid-related events. What happens if an outbreak occurs on your ship - remember people can still catch it when vaccinated and will all passengers actually have been vaccinated - and your cruise comes to a halt somewhere along the way. Will you expect travel insurance to cover you ir will you be able to fund any additional costs yourself.

Personally I wouldn't even consider travelling to Europe until 2023.

Well it looks like you could be right,   

We will see what happens with the NCL cruises recommencing in July and I will be looking at the feedback from the November cruise that I was booked on.  No B2b2 cruising, as all passengers have to disembark for at least a day, for a full deep cleaning of the boat, all passengers and crew have to be totally vaccinated,  

Just now, GOTTODOIT said:

Well it looks like you could be right,   

We will see what happens with the NCL cruises recommencing in July and I will be looking at the feedback from the November cruise that I was booked on.  No B2b2 cruising, as all passengers have to disembark for at least a day, for a full deep cleaning of the boat, all passengers and crew have to be totally vaccinated,  

I think the European season will be very interesting. I hope they get through it without any outbreaks. MSC certainly did well last year under very strict conditions, but I get the impression things will be a bit more relaxed this year and that worries me. We've decided to stick to Australian-based cruises for the next couple of years, until the world settles down. That may mean we won't get a chance to go to Europe again but we'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We might find that the situation does change for people who are vaccinated and who test negative to COVID. Maybe soon, they won't have to quarantine or, if so, not for so long.

Noone will do this testing for Covid. Its illegal and there is a law protecting your right to privacy. You dont have to share whether you were vaccinated or not

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Noone will do this testing for Covid. Its illegal and there is a law protecting your right to privacy. You dont have to share whether you were vaccinated or not

Maybe in your country but not in Australia or NZ. 🙄

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Maybe you are missing the point I was making. At the moment, everyone coming into Australia has to go into quarantine for 14 days at their own expense. The government has said that when people are immunized, they will be allowed to do their 14 days' quarantine in their own home. When this option is available, why would a person not show proof that they were vaccinated?

I am puzzled about your statement about "a law protecting your right to privacy". Does this exist anywhere in the world? People who go to areas of the world where Yellow Fever is prevalent, have to have the YF vaccination and when they go to the next country (their own or another one) they have to show proof that they have had the vaccine.