Cruising in Australia in 2022.

Cunard is now heavily promoting their local departures with a "big balcony upgrade" sale ie pay for an interior get a balcony - including a couple of repositioning cruises we're on in 2022 and  a round Australia trip in Nov 22  - does that they are confident the cruises will sale -or do they just want the deposits? 

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Cunard is now heavily promoting their local departures with a "big balcony upgrade" sale ie pay for an interior get a balcony - including a couple of repositioning cruises we're on in 2022 and  a round Australia trip in Nov 22  - does that they are confident the cruises will sale -or do they just want the deposits? 

Lissie, I would suggest they just want the deposits at this stage. In saying that, we would hope that by November '22 that cruising is back but really much will depend on what happens around the world in the next six to twelve months.

Leigh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Lissie, I would suggest they just want the deposits at this stage. In saying that, we would hope that by November '22 that cruising is back but really much will depend on what happens around the world in the next six to twelve months.

Leigh

I tend to agree with you - though if cruising isn't back by then we are already looking at options of replacing cruising with "real" travel 🙂 As I'm almost certain that we  will be able to get to Europe next year - just not sure we'll be able to cruise there 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

I tend to agree with you - though if cruising isn't back by then we are already looking at options of replacing cruising with "real" travel 🙂 As I'm almost certain that we  will be able to get to Europe next year - just not sure we'll be able to cruise there 

If there is still no cruising here, if by some chance you are able to get to Europe, you probably will be able to cruise there. If Covid is still around in the rest of the world in 12 months do you think NZ will have opened their borders by then?

Leigh

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Noble Caledonian is currently cruising in England.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

You might be able to get to Europe then but will you want to? I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about this blasted virus at the moment. The upswing of cases in the UK from the Indian variant is a real worry, and it may mutate further. I think 2023 might be realistic for overseas travel outside bubbles but not before.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, travelwell said:

The CDC just lifted a bunch of mandates for vaccinated people in the US. No masks if vaccinated and can have get togethers with friends. Restaurants and bars are fully open. Non vaccinated people still have to wear masks.  

Who is policing these 'rules'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Noble Caledonian is currently cruising in England.

And MSC and Cunard is about to start. But the cruises we have  booked are international US-Europe and Europe to Singapore - the later won't happen if Oz is not open for cruising with internationals on board 

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

If there is still no cruising here, if by some chance you are able to get to Europe, you probably will be able to cruise there. If Covid is still around in the rest of the world in 12 months do you think NZ will have opened their borders by then?

Leigh

I'm actually past caring - if we have to do 14 days in a quarantine hotel - on return - so be it.  My partner's retired, I can work with wifi, and its actually free so long as you stay in  the country anothe r6 months - which is likely  We are NZ citizens the borders aren't closed to us - and we can leave if we want to. We are planning a 4 month trip 14 days in a hotel on return is OK 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You might be able to get to Europe then but will you want to? I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about this blasted virus at the moment. The upswing of cases in the UK from the Indian variant is a real worry, and it may mutate further. I think 2023 might be realistic for overseas travel outside bubbles but not before.

UK isn't the plan - the plan is basically the Balkans plus Hungary - assuming the cruises go ahead - if not - we may also go to Poland and the Baltics. 

I'm tired of waiting - we were grounded all of 2019 because of my partners health issues  - and next year he'll be 70 - we feel like we're losing time we may not get back. 

We don't do a whole lot of raves, or big indoor parties, or nightclubs - so long as we're vaccinated and the vaccine is still working I feel the risk is minimal 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lissie said:

UK isn't the plan - the plan is basically the Balkans plus Hungary - assuming the cruises go ahead - if not - we may also go to Poland and the Baltics. 

I'm tired of waiting - we were grounded all of 2019 because of my partners health issues  - and next year he'll be 70 - we feel like we're losing time we may not get back. 

We don't do a whole lot of raves, or big indoor parties, or nightclubs - so long as we're vaccinated and the vaccine is still working I feel the risk is minimal 

The virus spreads, UK today, tomorrow it's creeping through Europe.

My main concern would be travel insurance, and what would happen if either of you came in contact with the virus and tested positive, especially on a cruise. Vaccination does not stop you catching the virus, it just reduces the severity. 

We're not even considering overseas travel before 2023. That may mean we'll never get to Europe again 😭 as we're older than you by the sound of it. DH will be in his mid-70s by then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The virus spreads, UK today, tomorrow it's creeping through Europe.

My main concern would be travel insurance, and what would happen if either of you came in contact with the virus and tested positive, especially on a cruise. Vaccination does not stop you catching the virus, it just reduces the severity. 

We're not even considering overseas travel before 2023. That may mean we'll never get to Europe again 😭 as we're older than you by the sound of it. DH will be in his mid-70s by then.

Which is why I'm thinking we may have to ditch the cruising and just go with land travel.  I'd prefer to travel insured - but if we can't get insurance then we'll go without it, and that's been our view for some time, pre-Covid. The exception is that we wouldn't go the USA because of their crazy costs.  I won't have life choices dictated to by an insurance company! 

The figures so  far is that the vaccine stops you catching  the virus in around 80-95% of the time. And reduces hospitalizations to near enough zero.  

We live with the risk of norovirus, dengue fever,  food poisoning, nasty tick-born disease endemic in Europe can't remember the name, broken limbs etc etc, travel  is riskier than staying home. My partner ended up  seriously ill in a Chinese hospital -  we have some experience with when things go very, very wrong. At the end of the day you take precautions, assess the risks, and live your life. I just don't feel that I'm doing much living at the moment 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 4

On 5/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

So you'd happily take one of the limited quarantine spaces over someone who has been trying to get back to Australia for months just so you can have your holiday sooner rather than later and can afford to pay whatever to ensure you get flights. 🤔

Beware Lissie,  You will be soon be jumped on for wanting to move on with your life at the expense of others.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Which is why I'm thinking we may have to ditch the cruising and just go with land travel.  I'd prefer to travel insured - but if we can't get insurance then we'll go without it, and that's been our view for some time, pre-Covid. The exception is that we wouldn't go the USA because of their crazy costs.  I won't have life choices dictated to by an insurance company! 

The figures so  far is that the vaccine stops you catching  the virus in around 80-95% of the time. And reduces hospitalizations to near enough zero.  

We live with the risk of norovirus, dengue fever,  food poisoning, nasty tick-born disease endemic in Europe can't remember the name, broken limbs etc etc, travel  is riskier than staying home. My partner ended up  seriously ill in a Chinese hospital -  we have some experience with when things go very, very wrong. At the end of the day you take precautions, assess the risks, and live your life. I just don't feel that I'm doing much living at the moment 

Sounds like you've got it all sussed and are still young enough to do all that. It does get harder as you get older unfortunately. Still, keep a close eye on what's happening overseas before you book. It may be pessimistic but I don't think this virus is finished with us yet. 🤔😯

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Beware Lissie,  You will be soon be jumped on for wanting to move on with your life at the expense of others.  

LOL been on message boards for 30 years - before there was moderation LOL 

And just for  the record there is currently no problem at all with  getting places in NZ isolation hotels 

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sounds like you've got it all sussed and are still young enough to do all that. It does get harder as you get older unfortunately. Still, keep a close eye on what's happening overseas before you book. It may be pessimistic but I don't think this virus is finished with us yet. 🤔😯

I keep a very close eye on things - we have some walk away dates for he cruises - we can cancel without penalty until Jan 22  before we have to pay anymore and can walk away without penalty. IF we can the cruises - we'll lkely book airfares and go with only a few weeks notice - assuming flights stay reasonable prices which they are currently 

Like your thinking Lissie.

Risks abound regardless in all aspects of life.

Life is short and many of us resent being denied being able to leave especially since there is no timeline of when those conditions will change.

Zero we can do about but it does not change how we feel.

Meanwhile others have been able to move in and out for various reasons.

Vaccination and quarantine public health needs to improve in Australia.

• Like 2

This is exactly my sentiments and yet a couple of days ago, back on about page 3, I was trying to make this point but was howled down.  Made to feel selfish, indulgent.

Life is passing us by and if we are vaccinated then why are we denied being able to leave.

Our friends in Minneapolis St Paul, who we travel with, are able to go anywhere, they are mid 70's, rearing to go but we cannot.  We are going to miss our cruise in November and also a few more friends are having a reunion in January which we have to pass on also.

We have told Rick & Ginny to go, don't wait for us, as they can't pass up the opportunity as who knows what is around the corner.  

• Like 2

I don't understand why you worry about what other posters think - it's not as if the posters on cc are in a position to change the rules. 

Most of us have missed out on things we would like to have done & maybe are out of pocket and we just need to accept it as a consequence of COVID.  The majority of Australians support the border restrictions & so in this case the govt are following the will of the people.

I see you are from QLD. Things are apparently so good there I'm amazed that anyone would ever want to leave 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 6/1/2021 at 3:26 PM, lissie said:

I'm actually past caring - if we have to do 14 days in a quarantine hotel - on return - so be it.  My partner's retired, I can work with wifi, and its actually free so long as you stay in  the country anothe r6 months - which is likely  We are NZ citizens the borders aren't closed to us - and we can leave if we want to. We are planning a 4 month trip 14 days in a hotel on return is OK 

I'm sorry Lissie, I don't think you are right about not paying for quarantine.  That's only if you left the country before 11/08/20.  If you choose to leave after that date, you pay when you come back.  At least those are the rules at present.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-managed-isolation/charges-for-managed-isolation/who-needs-to-pay-for-managed-isolation/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I'm sorry Lissie, I don't think you are right about not paying for quarantine.  That's only if you left the country before 11/08/20.  If you choose to leave after that date, you pay when you come back.  At least those are the rules at present.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-managed-isolation/charges-for-managed-isolation/who-needs-to-pay-for-managed-isolation/

Oops you're right - that's OK its just another cost of travel.  I'm more concerned about the cost long-haul air fares spiking -though its not happened  yet 

• Like 2