Bolt - how much $ to ride?

The sled on this coaster could hold 2,000 pounds, but even a 300 lb person will have trouble fitting astride the seat and putting their feet on the foot rests. The 190 riders per hour is overly optimistic because of the load/unload situation with a single sled. Never underestimate the ability of the public to slow down the loading of a ride vehicle. 

I saw a picture of a sled online with the cover removed. If it is the same as used in the marine environment, I'm not riding. The wiring in a junction box was not neat and orderly, rather like a haybale. The connections in the box are just looking to corrode aboard ship. There was also a Mean Well power supply aboard. As a passenger I would not like to be aboard an autonomous vehicle when that supply fails. 

They say there is a self powered rescue sled to bring a failed ride vehicle to the station. That's nice, but what if there is a track failure? The ride vehicle itself should have a back-up propulsion system like compressed air to move the vehicle to the station or another safe point of embarkation along the track.  

I think a $5 charge will be enough to keep the wait time reasonable, and pay for some of the required preventative maintenance.

I hope the up time is greater than the skyride on Vista class ships. Been aboard Horizon and Panorama and never saw it operating. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moviela said:

I hope the up time is greater than the skyride on Vista class ships. Been aboard Horizon and Panorama and never saw it operating. 

I did it only once then it was closed for high winds. I watched it on utube and they show it just hanging dead in a port. None showed the car swinging from side to side. .. though it was a rocky cruise, not just sky ride.

8 hours ago, Moviela said:

I had fun on the Horizon sky ride when it docked in the DR and I stayed on board.  Went around twice, once normal pace, 2nd time as fast as I could cycle.  Was fun, no line at all, but if there was a charge, fuhgeddabottit..

At sea, the wait time on line was about 45 minutes long  Maybe the 3rd or 4th Horizon USA sailing after being built.

Edited by evandbob

3 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

yay, paywall.     :classic_rolleyes:

Google is your friend. Copy and paste the exact title into the search engine, and you will be able to peek over the wall at WSJ.

• Like 1

The Sky Bike on the Horizon is free, why should there be a charge for Bolt?

I know there will be one to generate money because of the shutdown.   Even if they gave Platinums a freebie because of status, which would be a nice perk that costs them nothing, I still would not ride it.  Do like stuff like Fast Track at Epcot though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The Sky Bike on the Horizon is free, why should there be a charge for Bolt?

I know there will be one to generate money because of the shutdown.   Even if they gave Platinums a freebie because of status, which would be a nice perk that costs them nothing, I still would not ride it.  Do like stuff like Fast Track at Epcot though.

They should give diamond guests unlimited use (sort of like the once in a lifetime steakhouse perk). They can then expand the current top tier perks, looking like they're being generous, and diamonds will soon tire of the novelty of the ride and not take advantage of it anyway, lol.

Tom

We're # 1, we're #1, we're #1  !!   

😉

i-MMqKhsQ.jpg

This table (from Wikipedia) is for males and females. The average US male is 197.9. The average European male comes in at 156.1. 

Yep, supersize that please!  😄

Tom

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

They should give diamond guests unlimited use (sort of like the once in a lifetime steakhouse perk). They can then expand the current top tier perks, looking like they're being generous, and diamonds will soon tire of the novelty of the ride and not take advantage of it anyway, lol.

Tom

Lol that once in a lifetime steak dinner perk ..irks me. Should be a perk every cruise half off or something. Not a single perk worth it for me on carnival. I dont go on cruises to do laundry. 

I would love them to add a perk for bolt .. 1 rider per cruise. I love rides.

That would be a nice perk. The once in a lifetime doesnt work for me. Lame. 

Rcl does one top suite star class and it includes all pay restaurants for the cruise. Make it a suite perk or diamond. Sounds good.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Lol that once in a lifetime steak dinner perk ..irks me. Should be a perk every cruise half off or something. Not a single perk worth it for me on carnival. I dont go on cruises to do laundry. 

I don't like paying Royal prices to subsidize perks for others. Having choices is wonderful.

52 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would love them to add a perk for bolt .. 1 rider per cruise. I love rides.

That would be a nice perk. The once in a lifetime doesnt work for me. Lame. 

Rcl does one top suite star class and it includes all pay restaurants for the cruise. Make it a suite perk or diamond. Sounds good.

Same with Celebrity - Edge Villa or Signature (also I think) or higher suite includes unlimited specialty dining. Yes, you're paying out the ... for it, but at least they're not trying to tack it on!

Tom

52 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't like paying Royal prices to subsidize perks for others. Having choices is wonderful.

Totally, totaly agree. No more celebrity for us. When carnival offers a perk they do NOT charge a higher cruise price. Norwegian is another one that gets ya. They say drinks included, then they charge you a gratuity fee that costs more than if you purchased a drink package on any other cruise line. If it was only 18 or 20% when you got a drink, that I would agree with. Back to Carnival. The Steak house is excellent and always has been. never a disappointment. The steak has always been better than any land based steak house or other cruise line. At $38.00 per person sounds a bit high. Not really. You usually get more than you can eat. Everything is delicious.  We always book the first night at 5:50 and get the free bottle of wine. If you do not like what they offer 50% off whatever wine you would like. Having stock I like the OBC also. Princess offers nice ships and cruises. I like not only the stock OBC but also the Veterans OBC. We are booked for a 14 day cruise next year on Crown Princess. $250 stock OBC and $250 Veterans OBC Nice!

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We're # 1, we're #1, we're #1  !!   

😉

i-MMqKhsQ.jpg

This table (from Wikipedia) is for males and females. The average US male is 197.9. The average European male comes in at 156.1. 

Yep, supersize that please!  😄

Tom

I believe if you remove Mexico from the North America average, it would greatly decrease that average.  Mexico is #1 in obesity in the world.  Reason Texas has a high obesity average.    You can't go by average weight because you have to factor in height as well.  BMI would better to use although that doesn't tell the whole tale as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Totally, totaly agree. No more celebrity for us. When carnival offers a perk they do NOT charge a higher cruise price. Norwegian is another one that gets ya. They say drinks included, then they charge you a gratuity fee that costs more than if you purchased a drink package on any other cruise line. If it was only 18 or 20% when you got a drink, that I would agree with. Back to Carnival. The Steak house is excellent and always has been. never a disappointment. The steak has always been better than any land based steak house or other cruise line. At $38.00 per person sounds a bit high. Not really. You usually get more than you can eat. Everything is delicious.  We always book the first night at 5:50 and get the free bottle of wine. If you do not like what they offer 50% off whatever wine you would like. Having stock I like the OBC also. Princess offers nice ships and cruises. I like not only the stock OBC but also the Veterans OBC. We are booked for a 14 day cruise next year on Crown Princess. $250 stock OBC and $250 Veterans OBC Nice!

I agree.  To me, $38 is cheap for a steakhouse.  We go to steakhouses here in Houston and we usually pay $50 just for the steak and then $15 per side (shareable for two people).  Throw in Appetizers and dessert.  

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I believe if you remove Mexico from the North America average, it would greatly decrease that average.  Mexico is #1 in obesity in the world.  Reason Texas has a high obesity average.    You can't go by average weight because you have to factor in height as well.  BMI would better to use although that doesn't tell the whole tale as well.

But, then again, my limited (visual) sampling would say that those native to Mexico tend to be shorter than the rest of North America ... not sure. If so, then while they may tend to have a higher rate of obesity, their overall weight might be less. No doubt that info is out there.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

But, then again, my limited (visual) sampling would say that those native to Mexico tend to be shorter than the rest of North America ... not sure. If so, then while they may tend to have a higher rate of obesity, their overall weight might be less. No doubt that info is out there.

Tom

That is correct.  

On 5/30/2021 at 11:33 PM, amcankid said:

Originally it was supposed to be free.

But of course some of the suits got involved and decided that free don’t make Carnival no money!!(sorry for the double negative).

Niw my understanding is it’s supposed to be a “nominal” fee.

I’m guessing 10 bucks. And then they’ll look at how popular it is and adjust the price from there.

I never heard anyone ever say it was going to be free.  Once the BOLT coaster was announced, along with the Mardi Gras, I read that there would be a fee but it was not announced what that fee will be.  

I would not even attempt to ride if it was free.  The lines and chaos would not be worth it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

I worked this some people from Mexico and what they eat and how they eat is the big problem they face with over weight. However, when on a cruise. I am sure we have all seen those (Not just Mexicans) that some how make it into the stateroom and bathroom  Probably get a handicaps room..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I never heard anyone ever say it was going to be free.  Once the BOLT coaster was announced, along with the Mardi Gras, I read that there would be a fee but it was not announced what that fee will be.  

I would not even attempt to ride if it was free.  The lines and chaos would not be worth it.  

When I first red about the Bolt a few years ago it was to be offered as a free ride. Since then Carnival has said it depends on how many are waiting to ride it. Now says" Cost $ " No indication on the price. Just a dollar sign.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 11:47 AM, BlerkOne said:

I have a solution - make the ride free for vaccinated folks and give them a priority line. Everybody else, $50.

But to sail out of Florida, you're not going to be able to ask people to prove they have been vaccinated. 

Their coughing maskless fit vs yours.

I will try it once. I like to try everything once.

But I would rather do the go-carts of NCL or cool ropes course like on Pano.

Of course, I'm sure if a ship had a bungee jump, I'd end up like this guy...Video Shows Cruise Ship Passenger Crash Onto Deck in Bungee Trampoline Mishap: 'All I Really Remember Is the Hit and the Fear' (newsweek.com)

• Like 1