Interesting read, DeSantis doesn't seem to be caving anytime soon.

mouche

Do you believe DeSantis is right when it comes to restricting businesses from requiring Vaccine proof?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what DeSantis has done on restricting businesses from requiring proof of Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You can watch others eat their steak dinners? 😂 (Sorry, couldn't resist)

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I have no problem with what others eat. I am not a radical vegan.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I know the cabins are small, but I think it would be such a cool experience. 

We stayed onboard the Queen Mary back in the 90’s when my brother had his wedding onboard. Our cabin (ocean view with porthole) was humongous!  It had 2 full size double beds, large sitting area with table and chairs and a bathroom with a bathtub. It was lovely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

We stayed onboard the Queen Mary back in the 90’s when my brother had his wedding onboard. Our cabin (ocean view with porthole) was humongous!  It had 2 full size double beds, large sitting area with table and chairs and a bathroom with a bathtub. It was lovely. 

Wow.  What an incredible place for a wedding!

I really wished I had stayed there when we cruised in 2019.  Your room sounds nice too.

• Like 1

At the end of the day we all have to make our decision on what we're going to do once the protocols come out.  DW and I are fully vaccinated and we have 2 cruises booked in January.  We don't care so much about contracting COVID from unvaccinated people because we and all of our loved ones are fully vaccinated.  However, we are concerned about some of the restrictions that would surely come with cruising with unvaccinated people.  We refuse to cruise if we have to wear masks. So if the protocols require masking we'll cancel our cruises and do something else until we can cruise without masks.

It's all about choices and everyone has to make the choice that is best for them.  Either way, I pray that everyone stays safe and enjoy whatever vacation you choose to take.

Edited by vacruisin
typo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

A NYE celebration there must have been amazing!  Hopefully, the ship will be restored nicely and people can enjoy many more years of touring the ship and staying in the rooms.

It was!!! ALL ballrooms and ALL bars on ship were open along with the whole rest of the ship to explore. It was BEAUTIFUL and a night I will never forget.

I am sure the City of Long Beach will take her under its wing again as the child returning home after 40 years and spoil her the way she deserves. And now since they have control of the whole area adjacent they can really revamp and have a major partner in Carnival in getting up and running, Cruise revenue coming into the city to offer a nice cushion to the retrofitting, renovation costs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, balcony bound said:

I think more visit the theme parks, beaches, hotels, restaurants than cruise.  Florida has been wide open for all those lockdown state folks to vacation.  Kept the economy going, kept people employed.  The cruise stuff will resolve, I think folks are just out of patience.

I went to Florida three times during the pandemic. I would have liked to cruise, but there was no lack of things to do in the state. It’s been the best vacation option this last year. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Shouldn't it be time that Carnival comes out with their Texas cruising protocols about now?  John said later today.  It's later now.

He posted a couple of hours ago that it was 10:40 PM his time and they were just finishing up the details. Looks like tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bdever said:

It was!!! ALL ballrooms and ALL bars on ship were open along with the whole rest of the ship to explore. It was BEAUTIFUL and a night I will never forget.

I am sure the City of Long Beach will take her under its wing again as the child returning home after 40 years and spoil her the way she deserves. And now since they have control of the whole area adjacent they can really revamp and have a major partner in Carnival in getting up and running, Cruise revenue coming into the city to offer a nice cushion to the retrofitting, renovation costs.

We stayed on the QM in April 2019 pre-cuise to Hawaii on the Splendor. Our room was pretty decent, but you could tell she needed a lot of work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Where are my manners? After being invited to watch you and others eat, I should have reciprocated the invitation. You could have watched DW and I eating our tofu stroganoff for supper.

17 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

Just curious do you mean NYC and Bayonne, NJ?  There are no ships that sail from Long Island, unless you're counting Brooklyn, which is part of Long Island geographically but part of NYC.

LOL - Only someone else from eastern LI (south shore Suffolk in my case) understands the distinction between Long Island and "The City" or the spitting out of the words "City People." 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vacruisin said:

These cruise lines are a business and they are resourceful.  Sooner or later they are going to start cruising and if that means they have to go to other countries or other states in the US they will do just that.  So FLA and TX can have this "Carnival needs me" attitude to their detriment.  And once these companies get comfortable in other states and learn that they can make money without all the political grandstanding they could decide to permanently move their business to more accommodating states.  The short-term political game of some politicians could have long-term effects on their states.  Long after they are out of office.  Sooner or later your political bluff might get called.

You are right in one aspect, cruise lines are a business and they will only sail from ports that make financial sense to operate from.  Which means closest to the destinations because it is much cheaper and enjoyable.  That is why you will never see mass cruises to the Caribbean from anywhere but the Gulf or Florida, try finding an Easter Caribbean cruise from Galveston or a non-Bahamas/Bermuda from Charleston/Norfolk/Baltimore/New York.  The cruise lines are going no where because the cost of fuel and ability to reach more ports is optimal in Miami/FLL.   You are all delusional if you think otherwise, the states of Florida/Alabama/Louisiana and Texas hold the power because just as real estate it is location, then location, followed by location, and then you add the lower taxes, cheaper labor, better weather, and you have where they will operate from.  

Edited by colliece
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, colliece said:

You are right in one aspect, cruise lines are a business and they will only sail from ports that make financial sense to operate from.  Which means closest to the destinations because it is much cheaper and enjoyable.  That is why you will never see mass cruises to the Caribbean from anywhere but the Gulf or Florida, try finding an Easter Caribbean cruise from Galveston or a non-Bahamas/Bermuda from Charleston/Norfolk/Baltimore/New York.  The cruise lines are going no where because the cost of fuel and ability to reach more ports is optimal in Miami/FLL.   You are all delusional if you think otherwise, the states of Florida/Alabama/Louisiana and Texas hold the power because just as real estate it is location, then location, followed by location, and then you add the lower taxes, cheaper labor, better weather, and you have where they will operate from.  

You're probably mostly correct, but I have done 2 Eastern/Southern Caribbean cruises out of NYC on Carnival. 

Just now, geaux_aces said:

You're probably mostly correct, but I have done 2 Eastern/Southern Caribbean cruises out of NYC on Carnival. 

A Southern cruise out of NY would have to be more than 7 days, it will take 2 days just to reach the Bahamas, unless it is more than 7 days, and that will reduce the potential passengers greatly due to cost and extra time off.  It is the same reason there are no Bermuda cruises out of Florida.  It is just not the most efficient method.  A Southern cruise out of Miami can go to Aruba/Curacao/Bonair and multiple other stops.  Out of Baltimore you might could make it St. Thomas/Bahamas and maybe Grand Turk/PR etc.  

Not only that but the climate plays a role as well, 2 sea days out of NY to the Bahamas in January is not my idea of great start to my vacation.  That is why there are 25-40 ships that port out of Florida and 5 that port of NY/NJ and only Carnival sails out of Norfolk/Charleston/Mobile there is just to much cost involved, plus the port facilities themselves are not capable of more ships.

• Like 1

I believe there is a way around this law.  The cruise lines may not be able to ask for proof of vaccination, but there's nothing that says any person who has been vaccinated can't provide it voluntarily   Just place your vaccine card in with your passport (or other ID) and just show it at check-in.  They're not asking, but now they know.  I don't think (but I might be mistaken) that anyone who was vaccinated would object to that.

11 minutes ago, stevea20 said:

I believe there is a way around this law.  The cruise lines may not be able to ask for proof of vaccination, but there's nothing that says any person who has been vaccinated can't provide it voluntarily   Just place your vaccine card in with your passport (or other ID) and just show it at check-in.  They're not asking, but now they know.  I don't think (but I might be mistaken) that anyone who was vaccinated would object to that.

I believe there is no issue with letting people provide vaccine information.  I believe the issue is denying service based on vaccination status.

• Like 2

Here is the text of the provision.  Wouldn't lines 1127-1129 allow Cruise ships to require proof of vaccination?  It would be " a screening protocol consistent with authoritative or controlling government issued guidance to protect public health."

(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include
 1123  any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or
 1124  customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
 1125  vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry
 1126  upon, or service from the business operations in this state.
 1127  This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from
 1128  instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or
 1129  controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

Here is the text of the provision.  Wouldn't lines 1127-1129 allow Cruise ships to require proof of vaccination?  It would be " a screening protocol consistent with authoritative or controlling government issued guidance to protect public health."

(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include
 1123  any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or
 1124  customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
 1125  vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry
 1126  upon, or service from the business operations in this state.
 1127  This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from
 1128  instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or
 1129  controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.

Screening would seem to be covid tests.  The last line about controlling government-issued guidance to protect the public health might be possible if the CDC mandates are government issued to protect public health.  However, since the CDC is also offering the opportunity of test cruises first and then opening cruising to all with a negative covid test, it might be a stretch to state they are requiring vaccination, thus all ships must sail that way.  Who knows at this point.  I assume Carnival worked it out in Texas.

19 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Screening would seem to be covid tests.  The last line about controlling government-issued guidance to protect the public health might be possible if the CDC mandates are government issued to protect public health.  However, since the CDC is also offering the opportunity of test cruises first and then opening cruising to all with a negative covid test, it might be a stretch to state they are requiring vaccination, thus all ships must sail that way.  Who knows at this point.  I assume Carnival worked it out in Texas.

From the newspaper article I read this seemed to say the port was depending on the exception in the law, they didn't indicate any direct contact with the State.  To me, asking for proof of vaccination is a screening procedure mandated by Federal law for ships.  What I have never understood is how a State law could ever override a Federal law (especially when that Federal law existed before the State law) , and CDC rules and guidance have the power of Federal law.  But law school was a long time ago, and I will assume the lawyers working on this are smarter than I am. However I have always seen this as a clear cut issue in the real world, but, has been fun to debate here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

That's how I view cruising out of Florida now! No thanks on Florida

You’re not the only one. I’m waiting for California to open ports and a platinum friend of mine who lives in California rebooked his 7/10/21 on the Horizon to Vista instead because he is fed up with Florida. 

• Like 2