Interesting read, DeSantis doesn't seem to be caving anytime soon.

mouche

Do you believe DeSantis is right when it comes to restricting businesses from requiring Vaccine proof?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what DeSantis has done on restricting businesses from requiring proof of Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, bdever said:

You’re not the only one. I’m waiting for California to open ports and a platinum friend of mine who lives in California rebooked his 7/10/21 on the Horizon to Vista instead because he is fed up with Florida. 

When is the first cruise out of Long Beach?  I am sure everyone out there is ready to cruise.

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

When is the first cruise out of Long Beach?  I am sure everyone out there is ready to cruise.

8/21/21 according to the booking engine although the 8/7/21 & 8/14/21 sailings haven’t been cancelled yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, bdever said:

8/21/21 according to the booking engine although the 8/7/21 & 8/14/21 sailings haven’t been cancelled yet. 

I wonder if those cruisers got the same emails I did giving people the opportunity to cancel for a full refund.  My cruise is out of Port Canaveral on August 21st.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder if those cruisers got the same emails I did giving people the opportunity to cancel for a full refund.  My cruise is out of Port Canaveral on August 21st.

If it’s the same letter pertaining to extended final payment date of 6/14/21 then yes they did. 😉 Mine isn’t scheduled until 9/18/21 but I’m a member of 6 different Panorama fb groups so I see the posts from those scheduled for August. 

• Like 1

If Gov Ron DeSantis wins the case against the CDC, then the CSO(from the CDC)  will be dropped altogether, thus, ships will be able to sail however they want. Meaning, they could sail with both vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers, and they can set their own protocols. Meaning, no mask required for all. Plus, since they don't have to have only vaccinated passengers for no masks, they don't have to ask(require) anyone for a vaccine, thus, not violating the new Florida state law.

Edited by Radiioman46
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

If Gov Ron DeSantis wins the case against the CDC, then the CSO(from the CDC)  will be dropped altogether, thus, ships will be able to sail however they want. Meaning, they could sail with both vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers, and they can set their own protocols. Meaning, no mask required for all. Plus, since they don't have to have only vaccinated passengers for no masks, they don't have to ask(require) anyone for a vaccine, thus, not violating the new Florida state law.

I seriously doubt they would drop testing, mask or distancing protocols for unvaccinated passengers.  Look at the news today reporting 2 cases on 1 MSC ship as big world news.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I seriously doubt they would drop testing, mask or distancing protocols for unvaccinated passengers.  Look at the news today reporting 2 cases on 1 MSC ship as big world news.

I'm just saying that if Ron DeSantis wins the case against the CDC and their CSO, it puts all the cruise lines back in the drivers seat and they can do what they think is right. I just mentioned one example of what they could do. 

Ppl seem to be on the Gov's case because the Florida law prevents vaccine passports, but if wins the lawsuit, then if a cruise line requires vaccine passports, then it is entirely on the cruise line and not Florida law.  

Edited by Radiioman46
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Radiioman46 said:

I'm just saying that if Ron DeSantis wins the case against the CDC and their CSO, it puts all the cruise lines back in the drivers seat and they can do what they think is right. I just mentioned one example of what they could do. 

Ppl seem to be on the Gov's case because the Florida law prevents vaccine passports, but if wins the lawsuit, then if a cruise line requires vaccine passports, then it is entirely on the cruise line and not Florida law.  

I afraid that they would then loose the possible loophole of having to follow Federal law over State law, so if they want to ask about vaccinations, they might be better off if Florida looses the lawsuit.  If Florida wins they will probably be prohibited from asking for proof in both Florida and Texas.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I afraid that they would then loose the possible loophole of having to follow Federal law over State law, so if they want to ask about vaccinations, they might be better off if Florida looses the lawsuit.  If Florida wins they will probably be prohibited from asking for proof in both Florida and Texas.

I think you're right. That was the flaw in my theory. lol! MyBad!

Just now, Radiioman46 said:

I think you're right. That was the flaw in my theory. lol! MyBad!

I had what I thought was a good analogy earlier today and realized the same kind of thing. We are all overthinking it, especially since we are powerless to change any of it.  Whatever we think, all we can do is sit, wait and debate people online. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I had what I thought was a good analogy earlier today and realized the same kind of thing. We are all overthinking it, especially since we are powerless to change any of it.  Whatever we think, all we can do is sit, wait and debate people online. 

If Gov Ron wins the case against the CDC eliminating the CSO, then the cruise lines would be free to set their own guidelines, and yes, they can't require vaccines, but they can ask who is vaccinated, and maybe set their own per centage of say 80% instead of 95% is good enough, and allow everyone the ability to not wear masks. 

I'm just going on about nothing, because like you say, it's going to be what it is anyway. LOL!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Radiioman46 said:

If Gov Ron wins the case against the CDC eliminating the CSO, then the cruise lines would be free to set their own guidelines, and yes, they can't require vaccines, but they can ask who is vaccinated, and maybe set their own per centage of say 80% instead of 95% is good enough, and allow everyone the ability to not wear masks. 

I'm just going on about nothing, because like you say, it's going to be what it is anyway. LOL!

I'm afraid if they do that and have one case, the CDC can say see, we were right and move right back in.  But like you said, who knows?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, colliece said:

A Southern cruise out of NY would have to be more than 7 days,

With the exception of Holland America, we have been unable to find a 7 night cruise from Miami (any Florida port actually) that goes to Aruba. If you are aware of any please let us know. We have checked sailings through 2022 with no luck.

St. Maarten is our favorite island and while cruises from NJ and NY there are overwhelmingly limited to winter and spring months, there are a few choices as well in the summer enough to satisfy us and more than you are aware of. We prefer cruises of 10 days or longer. Our last cruise to St Maarten from NJ was January 2017 and it was 60+ degrees on day 2 (the first full sea day). On every winter southern Caribbean cruise from NJ, the outside deck was closed on the last returning sea day which is to be expected.

An interesting read is the actual lawsuit which has a number of flaws, IMO.

It make mention of an approved vaccine a number of times, which others have pointed out - there is no approved vaccine in the US.

It doesn't dispute that the CDC is the authority for regulating cruising (gonna be a problem for the law).

and more

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/TDGT-BZVLFJ/$file/Fla+v+HHS+and+CDC+complaint.pdf

25 minutes ago, songbird1329 said:

Current status of the litigation.  Florida’s reply brief puts the vaccines front and center and puts Florida law against the CDC vaccine requirement.

oral argument tomorrow 

Interesting since the CDC didn't mandate vaccines. A vaccinated cruise is just one option. Previously Florida stressed that because of "approved vaccines" the CDC's CSO was not needed 

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Interesting since the CDC didn't mandate vaccines. A vaccinated cruise is just one option. Previously Florida stressed that because of "approved vaccines" the CDC's CSO was not needed 

You are correct there is no vaccine requirement.  That was a plan drawn up by the cruise lines themselves.  If the cruise lines didn't want to run vaccinated cruises then all of them would be doing test cruises route.  That should be easy one to respond to for the CDC.  With all the cruise lines already getting approval to sail by the time this ends the suit will be meritless.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

A ,lawyer on another thread says doesn't matter who wins, the other can file a appeal and it continues. Doubtful to end by Nov 1st when cso expires. 

Ugh.... Games are played while we (and many others) are in limbo. Oh well...

Tom

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A ,lawyer on another thread says doesn't matter who wins, the other can file a appeal and it continues. Doubtful to end by Nov 1st when cso expires. 

But the specter of $5K per person fines remains as a completely separate issue from the CSO. If the cruise lines should happen to lose a challenge to the FL law that’s no small thing.

1 minute ago, Elkins45 said:

But the specter of $5K per person fines remains as a completely separate issue from the CSO. If the cruise lines should happen to lose a challenge to the FL law that’s no small thing.

They arent asking out of florida. Carnival hasnt said and rcl says unvaccinated. 

Carnival said friday would talk about horizon out of florida. I'm sure they are aware of the laws.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, colliece said:

You are right in one aspect, cruise lines are a business and they will only sail from ports that make financial sense to operate from.  Which means closest to the destinations because it is much cheaper and enjoyable.  That is why you will never see mass cruises to the Caribbean from anywhere but the Gulf or Florida, try finding an Easter Caribbean cruise from Galveston or a non-Bahamas/Bermuda from Charleston/Norfolk/Baltimore/New York.  The cruise lines are going no where because the cost of fuel and ability to reach more ports is optimal in Miami/FLL.   You are all delusional if you think otherwise, the states of Florida/Alabama/Louisiana and Texas hold the power because just as real estate it is location, then location, followed by location, and then you add the lower taxes, cheaper labor, better weather, and you have where they will operate from.  

Well said. It's amazing how many people think the vaccine is the center of the universe, and everything will revolve around that. There is little to no chance the cruise industry keeps its same size (especially in the US) without Florida. Florida is the perfect storm of US cruising and not by random chance. Its location and proximity to tropical islands, ease of reach, tourist destinations, weather, etc etc make it an ideal spot. No matter what line in the sand someone draws on today's vaccination debate, the cruise industry isn't just going to pickup and move to Mobile or Nassau and not miss a beat. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, meadowlander said:

With the exception of Holland America, we have been unable to find a 7 night cruise from Miami (any Florida port actually) that goes to Aruba.

I think Carnival only runs 8-day cruises to the ABCs from Miami and Port Canaveral (often porting at just two of them if sailing from PC).

The ships just can't get there and back again in time (with sufficient reserve for issues).  I guess Holland America has some speedier ships?

The 7-day cruises to the ABCs were from San Juan, IIRC?

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

It's all about risk mitigation.  For all the "anti-vaxxers", just know this:  If the cruise industry restarts and there are COVID outbreaks on their ships again, they will be shut down again and that could do irreparable harm to their brand and also to a lot of businesses that rely on the cruise industry to stay open.

It is just a FACT that requiring vaccinations is the best way to cut down on the chances of having interrupted cruises and dropped ports.  It doesn't make it less of a fact just because you don't like to hear that.

I am vaccinated and don't care if you are vaccinated or not.  You make your choice and believe what you want to believe about the vaccines.  BUT, what I DO care about is the possibility of having my expensive (and much needed) vacation interrupted because some "entitled" anti-vaxxers tested positive for COVID, causing my vacation to get cut short.  

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It make mention of an approved vaccine a number of times, which others have pointed out - there is no approved vaccine in the US.

I always struggle with this.  Someone didnt say NO you CAN use it.  They said YES you CAN use it. playing semantics with the word Approved is just lame.  The vaccines were "approved for use" regardless of its stage of testing.  They limited its use and rolled it out to more and more age groups as testing was completed.  Its not like they said oh lets give it to the elderly and see if they survive it first before we give it to others.  Test results showed it was effective in that age group which was the most vulnerable and then as test results showed it was effective on each successive age group it was rolled down to them.   I could see if it was only one vaccine but theres multiple vaccines out there being used.  Are they all bad??? 

• Like 2