Interesting read, DeSantis doesn't seem to be caving anytime soon.

mouche

Do you believe DeSantis is right when it comes to restricting businesses from requiring Vaccine proof?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what DeSantis has done on restricting businesses from requiring proof of Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

I'm thinking this is going to be a game of semantics played out by lawyers.

Carnival set the stage by saying it would require vaccinated passengers for July sailings. That means you need to show proof.

Question: Would it be against Florida law (after July 1) for Carnival to provide a means for a passenger to voluntarily upload proof of vaccination on a server hosted out of Florida or voluntarily provide that at the terminal?

If one shows up at the terminal and doesn't volunteer proof, are they turned away? Would they be have to undergo testing? Would the cost of pre-embarkation testing be passed on to the passenger, much like what RCCL's CEO stated in his video yesterday?

Anyway, the federal judge will hear arguments Thursday. Hopefully, there is a resolution soon to all of this.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

17 minutes ago, 19cruiser59 said:

If there is no compromise,  might carnival may cancel horizon cruises for july?  Guess we will know soon enough.

It's possible that they will continue with their previous plan of test cruises and open cruising to all, just like RCL decided to do. 
We should find out something regarding Texas cruises this afternoon, according to John on Facebook.

6 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Carnival set the stage by saying it would require vaccinated passengers for July sailings. That means you need to show proof.

For Sailings from Galveston.

They have made no such pronouncements for Florida, other than for Ms. Duffy to say that is seems logistically impractical to sail under the non-vax CDC guidelines, even with test sailings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's possible that they will continue with their previous plan of test cruises and open cruising to all, just like RCL decided to do. 
We should find out something regarding Texas cruises this afternoon, according to John on Facebook.

From a comment he made yesterday, there is an exemption in the Texas legislation for business that are following Covid protocols in accordance with federal law.

• Like 3

Just now, Keys2Heaven said:

From a comment he made yesterday, there is an exemption in the Texas legislation for business that are following Covid protocols in accordance with federal law.

Thankfully, we will find out this afternoon so the July cruisers out of Texas will know one way or the other.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

For Sailings from Galveston.

They have made no such pronouncements for Florida, other than for Ms. Duffy to say that is seems logistically impractical to sail under the non-vax CDC guidelines, even with test sailings.

"As a result, our alternative is to operate our ships from the U.S. during the month of July with vaccinated guests,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line.

So, yes, not explicitly in her first paragraph, but the stage has been set.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's possible, but the recent message has been consistent - they won't because they wouldn't be able to offer the kind of vacation we "want, deserve and need".

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Question: Would it be against Florida law (after July 1) for Carnival to provide a means for a passenger to voluntarily upload proof of vaccination on a server hosted out of Florida or voluntarily provide that at the terminal?

If one shows up at the terminal and doesn't volunteer proof, are they turned away? Would they be have to undergo testing? Would the cost of pre-embarkation testing be passed on to the passenger, much like what RCCL's CEO stated in his video yesterday?

Anyway, the federal judge will hear arguments Thursday. Hopefully, there is a resolution soon to all of this.

The Protocol for Alaska is that we will be turned away at the terminal if we can not supply proof of vaccination, interesting to see how this will be turn out because it has an effect on Alaska cruises if De Santas wins the law suit

16 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It's possible, but the recent message has been consistent - they won't because they wouldn't be able to offer the kind of vacation we "want, deserve and need".

Right, but at this point we just don't know what will happen.  Companies can prefer something, yet yield to something else temporarily.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Vaccine passports and Florida law aren’t part of the suit.  The suit is to enjoin enforcement of the CSO and resulting regulations.  From what I’ve seen I don’t think Florida’s suit will succeed,  so no, it’s not going to be resolved any time soon.

54 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

No, that won’t work, but there are other work arounds.  Under Florida law you can’t deny service, but ... you can offer incentives, such as discounts, to those who show proof of vaccination.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, songbird1329 said:

No, that won’t work, but there are other work arounds.  Under Florida law you can’t deny service, but ... you can offer incentives, such as discounts, to those who show proof of vaccination.

I like the idea of incentives and am glad they are doing that with the covid vaccines.

That got me thinking, jokingly of course, that maybe Carnival can give a free Cheers plan or specialty dining for each person who shows proof of vaccination.  That isn't denying service to anyone.  haha.  Just kidding, of course!  With Carnival it would probably be a free lanyard. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I like the idea of incentives and am glad they are doing that with the covid vaccines.

That got me thinking, jokingly of course, that maybe Carnival can give a free Cheers plan or specialty dining for each person who shows proof of vaccination.  That isn't denying service to anyone.  haha.  Just kidding, of course!  With Carnival it would probably be a free lanyard. 

Getting a free steak dinner in the Steakhouse, just to show my vaccine card? I'm all in on that one!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Maybe Carnival should cave and sail elsewhere? It has to be frustrating having these politicians undercut every move you make and hamper your efforts to get restarted. They could start in California with fully vaccinated cruises and there would be zero push back. They can have a few months of successful sailings and demonstrate how successful it could be and skip all the drama. They could blame the state and the CDC for the vaccine requirements and everyone wins at the end. This just doesn't seem that complicated to me.

The only way to break the logjam might be to play hardball. For Carnival:

1) Seek legal action against Florida - ask the court to have the FL/AK/TX suit dismissed,  or even outright sue Florida

2) Announce sailings out of CA, NY, etc.

Again, the thinking needs to go beyond just our shores. Covid will remain an issue in the rest of North America longer than it will here.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

and paid for.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, songbird1329 said:

There is a check in fee of up to $5000 unless you upload your covid card. $10,000 if you want your luggage tags.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tidecat said:

1) Seek legal action against Florida - ask the court to have the FL/AK/TX suit dismissed,  or even outright sue Florida

Again, the thinking needs to go beyond just our shores. Covid will remain an issue in the rest of North America longer than it will here.

I'm sure they'd like to avoid option one for obvious reasons (using a stick & crapping where you eat). Number two is doable and doable now. Makes the most sense IMO and uses the carrot of competition to compel cooperation and would also demonstrate that it works and isn't that complicated. Win-win-win.

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

I am not sure why they haven't already announced vaccinated sailings out of Long Beach, NOLA, and Baltimore.  It seems like that's an easy path in those places.

As far as Florida or Texas, if they can't work out vaccinated sailings then they can do test cruises and open cruising to all.  RCL seemed to be able to make a firm decision in Florida.  I am not sure what they are doing for cruises outside of Florida.  Maybe someone following that cruise line knows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

There is a check in fee of up to $5000 unless you upload your covid card. $10,000 if you want your luggage tags.

I'm not even gonna ask how much to have "Priority" added back to my luggage tags...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Ron is determined to go down in flames. or accidentally win. The suit will be dismissed, the law could be more interesting, but just ignore it until ready to sail, file a suit and ask for an injunction pending the outcome of the suit.

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am not sure why they haven't already announced vaccinated sailings out of Long Beach, NOLA, and Baltimore.  It seems like that's an easy path in those places.

As far as Florida or Texas, if they can't work out vaccinated sailings then they can do test cruises and open cruising to all.  RCL seemed to be able to make a firm decision in Florida.  I am not sure what they are doing for cruises outside of Florida.  Maybe someone following that cruise line knows.

It also provides double insurance. Should the unvaccinated cruises go bad (highly likely) and be shut down again, they would have the vaccinated cruises to fall back on and hold up as a success. This may allow them to convert the unvaccinated cruises to vaccinated cruises and keep revenue flowing and avoid a complete/partial shutdown should issues arise on unvaccinated cruises.

I really does make you wonder what the lines know or what is happening behind the scenes because some of this simply makes no sense and hardly seems worth the trouble in the grand scheme. Liability and continuity of cruising should be at the forefront of operational restoration efforts. It all seems willy-nilly when it should be laser focused and definitive.     

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1