Interesting read, DeSantis doesn't seem to be caving anytime soon.

mouche

Do you believe DeSantis is right when it comes to restricting businesses from requiring Vaccine proof?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what DeSantis has done on restricting businesses from requiring proof of Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Which is probably why the cruise lines aren't talking about firm decisions cruising out of California.  They are starting where they are most likely to actually sail.

These cruise lines are a business and they are resourceful.  Sooner or later they are going to start cruising and if that means they have to go to other countries or other states in the US they will do just that.  So FLA and TX can have this "Carnival needs me" attitude to their detriment.  And once these companies get comfortable in other states and learn that they can make money without all the political grandstanding they could decide to permanently move their business to more accommodating states.  The short-term political game of some politicians could have long-term effects on their states.  Long after they are out of office.  Sooner or later your political bluff might get called.

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

True.  But they still fill ships that cruise from Long Island, Baltimore, and New Orleans.  Even though they should have been able to start with those locations and required vaccinations, none of the cruise lines chose those places. The governors in those locations seemed to be in no hurry to open up those ports.

The port of New Orleans never closed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

These cruise lines are a business and they are resourceful.  Sooner or later they are going to start cruising and if that means they have to go to other countries or other states in the US they will do just that.  So FLA and TX can have this "Carnival needs me" attitude to their detriment.  And once these companies get comfortable in other states and learn that they can make money without all the political grandstanding they could decide to permanently move their business to more accommodating states.  The short-term political game of some politicians could have long-term effects on their states.  Long after they are out of office.  Sooner or later your political bluff might get called.

I'm not concerned.  At the most, the cruise lines will do test cruises and sail with cruises open to everyone.  Maybe they will figure out how to sail with only vaccinated people.  Either way, it will be whatever it will be.  John said on Facebook this morning that they will announce something later today for the July cruises out of Texas.  I don't think any decision will be the end of the world.  We will all move forward and accept whatever rules there are.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

Just curious do you mean NYC and Bayonne, NJ?  There are no ships that sail from Long Island, unless you're counting Brooklyn, which is part of Long Island geographically but part of NYC.

Oh, sorry.  I meant Long Beach!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

THIS!  FLA is the hub of cruising and is the easiest port to get to the most popular cruising destinations in the Caribbean.  It has nothing to do with other states not doing enough to get cruising restarted.  It's all about FLA (and to a lesser extent TX) being the premiere spot to cruise from.  

I would agree with except for the fact that normally this is the slow season for cruises in Florida.  The fact other Countries and States are shut down to cruising is why you are seeing so much talk about Florida.  The cruise lines don't have their usual options.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Which is probably why the cruise lines aren't talking about firm decisions cruising out of California.  They are starting where they are most likely to actually sail.

Actually, crew started returning and getting vaccinated last week for those assigned to Panorama and it was mentioned by another member on the boards that technically Panorama is the 5 ship scheduled (behind Vista, Breeze, Horizon & Miracle) to sail on 8/21/21 per the Carnival booking engine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

Actually, crew started returning and getting vaccinated last week for those assigned to Panorama and it was mentioned by another member on the boards that technically Panorama is the 5 ship scheduled (behind Vista, Breeze, Horizon & Miracle) to sail on 8/21/21 per the Carnival booking engine. 

I hope it sails on schedule!  I am sure they will be able to fill up the ship.  I haven't heard of any test cruises approved from California, but maybe they will sail with vaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

Panorama has been hanging out in the Long Beach area.

A number of Carnival ships are available to book in August. Unfortunately most are out of Texas or Florida but that could change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I hope it sails on schedule!  I am sure they will be able to fill up the ship.  I haven't heard of any test cruises approved from California, but maybe they will sail with vaccinated passengers.

They’ll sail 😉 Long Beach also had a little bit of news of its own last week... Follow the money and it will lead you down the road called Motivation.

https://longbeach.gov/press-releases/city-of-long-beach-regains-control-of--the-queen-mary-for-first-time-in-over-40-years/?fbclid=IwAR2wuwHIuZzu6o6ssTIqd-lwKqKUxn0BYAmIoPlBUgjI6pEHNvFETzV0uoA

For sure they will be vaccinated only. California says they aren’t requiring business to go either way. Up to the business to decide. That being said, Carnival has already said vaccination requirement is the easiest way to go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bdever said:

They’ll sail 😉 Long Beach also had a little bit of news of its own last week... Follow the money and it will lead you down the road called Motivation.

https://longbeach.gov/press-releases/city-of-long-beach-regains-control-of--the-queen-mary-for-first-time-in-over-40-years/?fbclid=IwAR2wuwHIuZzu6o6ssTIqd-lwKqKUxn0BYAmIoPlBUgjI6pEHNvFETzV0uoA

For sure they will be vaccinated only. California says they aren’t requiring business to go either way. Up to the business to decide. That being said, Carnival has already said vaccination requirement is the easiest way to go.

We toured the Queen Mary.  It is an incredible ship.  When we cruised on the Panorama in Dec 2019, we stayed at a hotel right by the Queen Mary and port area.  I know they have a hotel inside of the ship.  That would be pretty neat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

We toured the Queen Mary.  It is an incredible ship.  When we cruised on the Panorama in Dec 2019, we stayed at a hotel right by the Queen Mary and port area.  I know they have a hotel inside of the ship.  That would be pretty neat.

I wanted to book for my November sailing but the website says closed to booking right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

I wanted to book for my November sailing but the website says closed to booking right now.  

They have to do the major safety renovations prior to allowing anyone on board. It could take quite some time, 1 year+. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

Probably a good thing. She needs a bit of love and TLC to be perfectly honest. She's looking a bit of a mess and neglected. A refurbishment could make this the defacto pre-cruise destination hotel and hot-spot.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I know the cabins are small, but I think it would be such a cool experience. 

I’ve been going to the Queen Mary tours since grade school and attended a NYE ship wide celebration 🍾 on her once. Always wanted to stay in the same cabin Vivian Leigh stayed in when she sailed her transatlantic to screen test for Gone With The Wind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Getting a free steak dinner in the Steakhouse, just to show my vaccine card? I'm all in on that one!! 

Could there possibly be an alternative for vegetarians?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bdever said:

I’ve been going to the Queen Mary tours since grade school and attended a NYE ship wide celebration 🍾 on her once. Always wanted to stay in the same cabin Vivian Leigh stayed in when she sailed her transatlantic to screen test for Gone With The Wind. 

A NYE celebration there must have been amazing!  Hopefully, the ship will be restored nicely and people can enjoy many more years of touring the ship and staying in the rooms.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Maybe they can interest you in a beautiful platinum lanyard.  LOL.  I remember the good old days when this was the worst thing happening.

Could I get a ship on a stick to add to the collection of those I have for winning trivia instead?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Shouldn't it be time that Carnival comes out with their Texas cruising protocols about now?  John said later today.  It's later now.

Does not seem like that is coming today considering the late hour. Carnival has been pretty quiet today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Could I get a ship on a stick to add to the collection of those I have for winning trivia instead?

That's it!  A ship on stick.  Oh, how I want a ship on stick on my Mardi Gras cruise.  I will gladly show my vaccination card.  This time I am not kidding.🙃