Interesting read, DeSantis doesn't seem to be caving anytime soon.

mouche

Do you believe DeSantis is right when it comes to restricting businesses from requiring Vaccine proof?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what DeSantis has done on restricting businesses from requiring proof of Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

I always struggle with this.  Someone didnt say NO you CAN use it.  They said YES you CAN use it. playing semantics with the word Approved is just lame.  The vaccines were "approved for use" regardless of its stage of testing.  They limited its use and rolled it out to more and more age groups as testing was completed.  Its not like they said oh lets give it to the elderly and see if they survive it first before we give it to others.  Test results showed it was effective in that age group which was the most vulnerable and then as test results showed it was effective on each successive age group it was rolled down to them.   I could see if it was only one vaccine but theres multiple vaccines out there being used.  Are they all bad??? 

Well, it basically comes down to Authorized for use in an Emergency, vs Approved for General use.

Right now, if the Public Health Emergency were to be declared over, it would not be permitted to provide the vaccine to anyone.

It's like you are approved to travel in the normal right-side travel lane of a two-way road, but in an emergency you are authorized to shift over to the left (e.g. if your lane is blocked, etc).  Once the "emergency" is over, get back over the the right side of the road.

If the road gets turned into a one-way, then both lanes get permanent approval.  

(Imprecise analogy, but best I could do for now.)

And the full approval will come, but to ensure there are minimal and manageable long-term effects, there a whack of studies that need completing. They are being fast tracked, and since the available data implies great safety and effectiveness, it is likely they will be fully approved.

But it is possible that some weird side effect will be detected, and a slight tweak to the vaccine might eliminate it, so the current vaccines would be withdrawn after the emergency is over, and the replacement would go through normal clinical trials and another round of studies for full approval. Should the emergency recur, then the old and/or new vaccines could get re-authorized for emergency use only.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
clarify analogy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

... some cruises are going to sail with unvaccinated people.  RCL has already made that decision whether people like it or not.  I would be willing to bet those cruises will be just fine and positive cases will simply be quarantined.  I am vaccinated, so can roll with it either way.  If the CDC would get off of its high horse regarding ridiculous mask mandates, then it would be much better in my opinion.

I'm vaccinated too, and I'm glad the unvaccinated people can cruise.  I just don't want to cruise with protocols like masks and social distancing, which is why I'll only cruise on the vaccinated cruises right now.  How much fun are people going to have wearing masks on a cruise???

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, it basically comes down to Authorized for use in an Emergency, vs Approved for General use.

Right now, if the Public Health Emergency were to be declared over, it would not be permitted to provide the vaccine to anyone.

It's like you are approved to travel in the normal right-side travel lane of a two-way road, but in an emergency you are authorized to shift over to the left (e.g. if your lane is blocked, etc).  Once the "emergency" is over, get back over the the right side of the road.

If the road gets turned into a one-way, then both lanes get permanent approval.  

(Imprecise analogy, but best I could do for now.)

And the full approval will come, but to ensure there are minimal and manageable long-term effects, there a whack of studies that need completing. They are being fast tracked, and since the available data implies great safety and effectiveness, it is likely they will be fully approved.

But it is possible that some weird side effect will be detected, and a slight tweak to the vaccine might eliminate it, so the current vaccines would be withdrawn after the emergency is over, and the replacement would go through normal clinical trials and another round of studies for full approval. Should the emergency recur, then the old and/or new vaccines could get re-authorized for emergency use only.

I understand what your saying but Authorized is still Approved no matter how you cut it.  something isnt Authorized to not use.  wait until after you cant use it to say its not approved so im not using it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

And, once FULL approval comes to pass - which of the other excuses will move to the top of the list?

Tom

I would bet on the I know I have had it so I have antibodies that will last forever excuse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

From CNN today (no surprises here - looks like a Blue vs Red list):

Vaccination rates throughout the country are continuing at an uneven pace. Eight states have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents: Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Vermont, which leads the country with nearly 60% of residents fully vaccinated, recent CDC data shows.

Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Wyoming have among the lowest vaccination rates in the country, according to CDC data. And officials are urging citizens that the best way to get ahead of the variants is with vaccinations.

I will not delve with the political aspect, but to me much smaller geography (easier to hit the possibility of many more people) and states with much more urban areas vs the others listed that are largely rural without major cities.  Example CT has 3 million people the vast majority around 5 cities (all with a 40 mile radius).  The real issue is what people think the virus is doing when numbers drop precipitously.  

Another example is the concentration of people who want the vaccine (SW Florida where 3 counties are the largest in the state that are over 65, many of which have underlying conditions.  Just many factors.No debating on my part, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would bet on the I know I have had it so I have antibodies that will last forever excuse.

Strangle enough, if they HAVE had it, the CDC is NOW recommending them NOT to get a vaccine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Strangle enough, if they HAVE had it, the CDC is NOW recommending them NOT to get a vaccine.

I must have missed that - this is on the website today - updated just 2 days ago..

Updated June 8, 2021
If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I'm vaccinated too, and I'm glad the unvaccinated people can cruise.  I just don't want to cruise with protocols like masks and social distancing, which is why I'll only cruise on the vaccinated cruises right now.  How much fun are people going to have wearing masks on a cruise???

People have been going every where and wearing masks. Disney world, movies, ball games. Even with mask mandates being lifted a huge percentage of people are still wearing them. Even if they don't require masks on cruises there will be people that will still wear them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Ok but still; getting a vaccine isnt going to erase that protection its only going to add to it.  Unless someone can prove having too many antibodies against a virus is a bad thing?

I read a study that stated that people who have recovered from a covid infection tend to have more severe reactions to the second dose of the vaccine.  Another study stated that people who recovered from covid may not even need the second dose.   I don't know.  If I wasn't interested in cruising and had a previous covid infection, I probably would not have chosen to get the vaccination at this time.  I would have been comfortable with my natural immunities.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read a study that stated that people who have recovered from a covid infection tend to have more severe reactions to the second dose of the vaccine.  Another study stated that people who recovered from covid may not even need the second dose.   I don't know.  If I wasn't interested in cruising and had a previous covid infection, I probably would not have chosen to get the vaccination at this time.  I would have been comfortable with my natural immunities.

I guess its like apps i shoulda known theres a study for that 🤣 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

Are you ready to get your booster shot every year? That's what's coming next. 

I believe I saw somewhere that Moderna was working on combining that with the yearly flu shot. Sorry, no cite for it.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe I saw somewhere that Moderna was working on combining that with the yearly flu shot. Sorry, no cite for it.

I now found a citation. As I said Moderna is working on a combination Covid booster  and flu shot. Also instead of a shot, there might be patches or pills.

Your COVID vaccine booster might be a patch or a pill. Or it might come with your flu shot. - CBS News

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

You are wiser than I in that regard Jim!

Sadly not, part of the reason I took a hiatus from CC.  I will try and maintain a certain level.....not so easy to do so far.😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Do you have a cite for that? If that is true, it is very new.

This is what I could find, the report on the news was a little more optimistic but generally the same message.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kleibo said:

I must have missed that - this is on the website today - updated just 2 days ago..

Updated June 8, 2021
If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

See my link in post 169.  They may have taken “some liberties” but the message is still good news.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

See my link in post 169.  They may have taken “some liberties” but the message is still good news.

There are a lot of studies going on regarding people who have had previous covid infections and their immune systems.  I really think many people who are pushing the vaccine are underestimating a person's natural ability to fight off infection after recovering from covid.

CLEVELAND (WJW) — The Cleveland Clinic recently studied the effectiveness of the Covid-19 vaccination among people who caught the virus and those who haven’t.

The study finds that anyone who previously tested positive for a SARS-CoV-2 infection did not get additional benefits from the vaccine, which suggests the vaccines should be prioritized to people who haven’t gotten the infection.

The clinic says this research provides insight into how the immune system protects the body once a COVID-19 infection is confirmed.

During the study that was conducted on 52,238 employees in the Cleveland Clinic, the clinic says “not a single incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection was observed in previously infected participants with or
without vaccination.”

https://www.wane.com/news/no-vaccine-needed-for-those-whove-had-covid-19-cleveland-clinic-study-says/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think Carnival only runs 8-day cruises to the ABCs from Miami and Port Canaveral (often porting at just two of them if sailing from PC)

That is what we have found  at least 8 night cruises on all the lines except HAL. Still hoping that poster who stated cruises from the northeast would be longer than 7 nights to port in Aruba can provide 7 night cruises from Miami or Port Everglades. We would enjoy a 7 night Aruba cruise on HAL but that line is not our preference.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:01 AM, meadowlander said:

That is what we have found  at least 8 night cruises on all the lines except HAL. Still hoping that poster who stated cruises from the northeast would be longer than 7 nights to port in Aruba can provide 7 night cruises from Miami or Port Everglades. We would enjoy a 7 night Aruba cruise on HAL but that line is not our preference.

In the past, there were 8 days from NY, the old plan was for the Magic to do some from there (seasonal).  Whether this comes to pass will be an interesting to watch.