Requirement to use Medallion App

gvre

We have been on 28 Princess Cruises but never had the Medallion app to use on the ships.

We will be on the Regal in September which has the Medallion app do I have to use it or can I ignore it and still get around the ship?

1 minute ago, gvre said:

We have been on 28 Princess Cruises but never had the Medallion app to use on the ships.

We will be on the Regal in September which has the Medallion app do I have to use it or can I ignore it and still get around the ship?

You don't need it to get around the ship, but take a look on the first page here of Princess thread and you will find extensive discussions about the app and recent changes in functionality, system bugs, and all sorts of interesting impacts on customers and opinions.  We do not need another thread on MC app, the website login bugs and related issues. 

I happen to think that a functioning MedallionClass app is a valuable enhancement to my cruise experience.  The key operative word is "functioning".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

You don't need it to get around the ship, but take a look on the first page here of Princess thread and you will find extensive discussions about the app and recent changes in functionality, system bugs, and all sorts of interesting impacts on customers and opinions.  We do not need another thread on MC app, the website login bugs and related issues. 

I happen to think that a functioning MedallionClass app is a valuable enhancement to my cruise experience.  The key operative word is "functioning".

Thanks I will check that out!

1 hour ago, gvre said:

app- use pre cruise to fill in forms, choose dining etc

On ship you can access the app on cabin tv screen and do not need to carry iphone( device around ship

you will use your medallion as you did your room card in the past. 

we do not yet know how those not using the app pre cruise will be helped/ handled at boarding time. 

So as not to be left out or with what is left over I would use it to select dining in Dine My Way, to select your boarding group and to complete your health form. Believe, not certain, these selections will be honored even if the remainder of them app information is left incomplete.

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

So as not to be left out or with what is left over I would use it to select dining in Dine My Way, to select your boarding group and to complete your health form. Believe, not certain, these selections will be honored even if the remainder of them app information is left incomplete.

Are these options now live? I have four trips in the app right now, and even the closest one, for November 2021, shows Departure and Arrival groups, as well as the Health Status, as not yet available

30 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Are these options now live? I have four trips in the app right now, and even the closest one, for November 2021, shows Departure and Arrival groups, as well as the Health Status, as not yet available

Several items are in my app now for March 2022 cruise. They add every day in past week. 

You can still print out the travel summary and luggage tags from the website   Princess will probably handle anyone without the medallion app, as long as they have all documents (passport & vaccine card especially), when they get to the port   I don't think they will be denied boarding because of some app they want you to use

• Like 2

Once you check in you “May or will” be given a medallion that you “may or will” be required to have on you at all times for contact tracing. If they exercise the “will” part of the contract there’s no need for key cards. 

The ap is actually quite nice. It’s my first time using it. 

From the new May 2021 passenger contract I just agreed to for my July 2021 sailing. Section 6 part C (3) addresses medallion use. IMHO  contact tracing is going to be mandatory. 

section 6C.  

You acknowledge that the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) completion of an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any health or travel-related questions as determined by the Carrier in its sole discretion based on advice from cognizant government or health authorities or medical experts for each Guest prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available; (3) technology-enabled contact tracing via wearable device technology; (4) modified capacity rules for activities (including, but not limited to, restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events on board and for shore excursions) which may limit  or eliminate the ability of Guest to participate in particular activities; (5) mandatory use by each Guest (except for children under the age of 2 years) of face masks in most locations outside of the Guest’s stateroom while on board, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (6) mandatory physical distancing of Guests outside of their cruise companions (family and/or immediate travel group) at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (7) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions including, but not limited to, denial of disembarkation at destination(s) unless participating in only shore excursions sold through the Carrier and denial of reboarding vessel for any noncompliance by Guest or members of Guest’s traveling party with the COVID-19 Guest Protocols; (8) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Guest(s) upon entry or exit of any public areas; (9) confinement of Guest to staterooms, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Guest if, in the Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (10) the required completion by Guest in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for the Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Guest Protocols (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms); (11) on specified itineraries, vaccination of guests with documentary proof satisfactory to Carrier, according to the criteria set forth in the COVID-19 Guest Protocols in effect at the time of sailing; and (12) other policies and procedures deemed by the Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.

I do use apps but the only reason i am using the medallion app is that it will probably speed things up for the boarding process   On the ship we probably won't use it much as we just enjoy being on the ship and doing our own thing   Getting into your stateroom with the medallion itself may be helpful but a card would work 

52 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I wouldn’t expect to get a card. The only way they can expect us to carry the medallion is if it we have to use it to get in our stateroom. 

Did you read section 6C item 3 of the passenger contract? Not only do they expect you to carry it, it's mandatory. Not sure how likely it is you would be caught but I expect that continued non-compliance would see you waving goodbye to the ship as it leaves the next port.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Did you read section 6C item 3 of the passenger contract? Not only do they expect you to carry it, it's mandatory. Not sure how likely it is you would be caught but I expect that continued non-compliance would see you waving goodbye to the ship as it leaves the next port.

Yes I read the entire contract before signing it in the medallion class ap. . In fact I posted section 6 C 3 in post #11. I quoted the language contract of “May or will” require. So they have given themselves flexibility to not require it by using the word “May”. 
Personally I believe everything in this section will be required. 

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't use any apps. They give me a plain old cruise card which works just fine for me. 

However, Princess has stated that you will not be allowed to board unless you have agreed to the COVID warning message and they have further stated that this agreement must be done on the app. They also stated that it must be done by the passenger. They said a TA will not be allowed to do it for the passenger.

Perhaps they will change these requirements if they can't get the dang app to function. Perhaps they will be bullheaded and insist. For my part, I am still not able to even see these things in the app in order to agree to them. I just get a message that they are "working on it".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beaglesandducks said:

You can still print out the travel summary and luggage tags from the website   Princess will probably handle anyone without the medallion app, as long as they have all documents (passport & vaccine card especially), when they get to the port   I don't think they will be denied boarding because of some app they want you to use

But as far as I can tell you can no longer print the boarding pass from the website, so how will you be able to access the embarkation facility.  We  have always had to show it to enter the building

8 hours ago, skynight said:

My app does not let me use the Dine My Way or arrival or departure groups.  I believe these will be accessible once final payment is made.  

4 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

My app does not let me use the Dine My Way or arrival or departure groups.  I believe these will be accessible once final payment is made.  

Per the TA webinar last week, I believe, the Dine my way is available upon booking for those who are platinum or elite status, and everyone else at final payment. 

As for arrival and departure groups, they weren't mentioned, but I think that they will be available at final payment.

18 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

9 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

Per the TA webinar last week, I believe, the Dine my way is available upon booking for those who are platinum or elite status, and everyone else at final payment. 

During that webinar they stated & had this slide that passengers who were booked by 6/7/21 could also make DMW reservations before final payment just like Elite/Platinum passengers.

Thus anyone who booked before that cutoff date can make DMW reservations & if not it’s another glitch that needs to be fixed.

28AEAFF9-EB18-494F-8C90-E250AB726330.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

7 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

What they may be hinting at is the use of a Tracelet, a tracking device used for contact tracing.   Royal Caribbean indicated they would be using them and if a guest did not agree to wear it they would be denied boarding.  
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/faq/questions/what-is-a-tracelet

Tracelets can be scanned very quickly if contact tracing is needed.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

During that webinar they stated & had this slide that passengers who were booked by 6/7/21 could also make DMW reservations before final payment just like Elite/Platinum passengers.

Thus anyone who booked before that cutoff date can make DMW reservations & if not it’s another glitch that needs to be fixed.

28AEAFF9-EB18-494F-8C90-E250AB726330.jpeg

You are correct! Sorry for the misinformation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

But as far as I can tell you can no longer print the boarding pass from the website, so how will you be able to access the embarkation facility.  We  have always had to show it to enter the building

I believe you cannot print luggage tags until full payment has been made and you are less than 75 days out from departure

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beaglesandducks said:

I believe you cannot print luggage tags until full payment has been made and you are less than 75 days out from departure

How would that help with a boarding pass. Or are they just saying no smart phone no cruise

1 minute ago, memoak said:

How would that help with a boarding pass. Or are they just saying no smart phone no cruise

Right now they are saying no smart phone no cruise!!

They have taken away the ability to check in on line on a computer or tablet

You MUST use the app!  Many of us have complained about this!

We shall see how it is finally resolved

This is the only business I know of that requires use of an app to access the business

• Like 3