Cruise cancellation extended until 17th September 2021

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What ships would you predict Julie? 4 ships is pretty third world,I think giligans Island would have more . But you are probably right.

Brisbane and Sydney a P&O ,Carnival each .

maybe a Princess , Royal Caribbean extra in Sydney.

Hey we have solved the need for another cruise terminal.

Phillip my suggestions would be one ship from each of P&O, Carnival, one of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships (Radiance?), and one other. Possibly more if the ships are only operating at half capacity.

I'd like to see Princess included since they have been one of the cruise lines that has had ships operating from Australia all year round which has shown a good commitment to the Australian cruise industry in the past.

Celebrity would be my next pick, followed by HAL and Norwegian as these lines have all spent the peak season here regularly. Cunard - maybe. The other cruise lines who just blow through here for a couple of itineraries can stay away. 

The best thing would be to have the various cruise lines rotating through the various embarkation ports, that way everyone gets to go on their favourite line. Since itineraries will be limited that shouldn't be too hard to schedule. Even better if they are allowed to have multiple embarkation ports like MSC has been doing in Europe. One or two ships could even winter over doing one way Top End itineraries between Perth and Sydney/Brisbane, and shorter Queensland Coast cruises.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Phillip my suggestions would be one ship from each of P&O, Carnival, one of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships (Radiance?), and one other. Possibly more if the ships are only operating at half capacity.

I'd like to see Princess included since they have been one of the cruise lines that has had ships operating from Australia all year round which has shown a good commitment to the Australian cruise industry in the past.

Celebrity would be my next pick, followed by HAL and Norwegian as these lines have all spent the peak season here regularly. Cunard - maybe. The other cruise lines who just blow through here for a couple of itineraries can stay away. 

The best thing would be to have the various cruise lines rotating through the various embarkation ports, that way everyone gets to go on their favourite line. Since itineraries will be limited that shouldn't be too hard to schedule. Even better if they are allowed to have multiple embarkation ports like MSC has been doing in Europe. One or two ships could even winter over doing one way Top End itineraries between Perth and Sydney/Brisbane, and shorter Queensland Coast cruises.

Maybe with a couple of other countries like Singapore and Taiwan in the bubble we could fill more ships.

20 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Maybe with a couple of other countries like Singapore and Taiwan in the bubble we could fill more ships.

Possibly but I think it would be smarter to start with just a few ships, to prove that they can safely operate under Covid protocols and handle any possible positive tests.

The thing that is really holding us back is the slow vaccination rollout. Partly due to our governments and I will be very pissed off if cruising doesn't restart this season because of their failures. But also because people aren't getting vaccinated quick enough. There was an article in the SMH this morning that listed 14 different reasons that people have given as to why they are hesitating to get the vaccine. The most common were:

- I am nervous about side effects for my age group.

- I do not know enough about the vaccines yet.

- I want to wait until more people have been vaccinated

- with no international travel there is no rush

- I do not trust the government

- I am not in a priority group and can wait

- with low case numbers there is no rush

- the risk of catching Covid is very low

🙄🙄🙄

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just received from Cunard: that's my 2022 QM2 Melbourne-Fremantle cruise knocked out for the second year running - TBH not totally unexpectedly

Our forecasts are showing that due to the number of affected international ports of call, and when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver a Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. As a result of this decision, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled. We understand you would have been excited to sail this itinerary with us and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Just received from Cunard: that's my 2022 QM2 Melbourne-Fremantle cruise knocked out for the second year running - TBH not totally unexpectedly

Our forecasts are showing that due to the number of affected international ports of call, and when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver a Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. As a result of this decision, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled. We understand you would have been excited to sail this itinerary with us and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

It's also a bellwether for the likelihood of a summer cruising season here, in general, too, I would have thought. 😞

Maybe it's time I took another road trip from Melbourne to Perth?! Last time I did it was in the mid-1970s in a ute in high summer with no air-conditioning! Let's call it land-cruising.

8 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Cunard pick up a bit of sector cruise business in Australia as many Brit world cruisers just do half, releasing cabins. big blow for all. Sad you missed QM2, we did Syd to HK couple of years ago on QM2, wonderful vessel.

8 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Maybe that is an indication that Princess will cancel its 2022 world cruise on the Coral.

I feel that cruising is likely to re-start in our part of the world by mid 2022, but the problem would be with the number of affected international ports of call, as mentioned in the Cunard message.

The other problem is the new variants of COVID that are causing real problems internationally.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe that is an indication that Princess will cancel its 2022 world cruise on the Coral.

I feel that cruising is likely to re-start in our part of the world by mid 2022, but the problem would be with the number of affected international ports of call, as mentioned in the Cunard message.

The other problem is the new variants of COVID that are causing real problems internationally.

I think the immediate future for Aussie cruisers will be limited to Aust and NZ.  There are so many cruising opportunities yet to

be discovered in this region. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think the immediate future for Aussie cruisers will be limited to Aust and NZ.  There are so many cruising opportunities yet to

be discovered in this region. 

It seems Ponant have cancelled a few more Kimberley cruises overnight. Silversea is still hoping to sail the Kimberley’s for August. Would be good if we could sail here but I just don’t think That will happen this season either.. 

3 hours ago, gogo65 said:

It seems Ponant have cancelled a few more Kimberley cruises overnight. Silversea is still hoping to sail the Kimberley’s for August. Would be good if we could sail here but I just don’t think That will happen this season either.. 

Ponant and Silversea jumped the gun prior to Govt approval.  I can see them cruising here as small ships in the future after Govt approval.

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ponant and Silversea jumped the gun prior to Govt approval.  I can see them cruising here as small ships in the future after Govt approval.

And I can't see the NT and WA governments giving approvals for cruising as early as August. Not with the Delta variant popping out in various places.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And I can't see the NT and WA governments giving approvals for cruising as early as August. Not with the Delta variant popping out in various places.

Agree, but I suppose they live in hope.. I just want my money back!

Carnival have removed cruises on Splendor thru to 25 November on their website. I haven't seen anything in writing apart from saying cruises on Splendor were cancelled until 17 Sep. 

I checked a couple of TA sites and even though Splendor cruises were listed they were unavailable to book on some and available to book on others.

Anybody seen anything about this?

When the two Carnival ships left Singapore together and headed away from us it didn't look good.  There are cruises scheduled for Dubai and thereabouts so maybe they might do a few sailings there.

4 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Agree, but I suppose they live in hope.. I just want my money back!

Yep demand cash, not FCC or FCD, you cannot  feed your family on those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, Cruisegroover said:

Carnival have removed cruises on Splendor thru to 25 November on their website. I haven't seen anything in writing apart from saying cruises on Splendor were cancelled until 17 Sep. 

I checked a couple of TA sites and even though Splendor cruises were listed they were unavailable to book on some and available to book on others.

Anybody seen anything about this?

Now on Carnival website - officially cancelled.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

Now on Carnival website - officially cancelled.

Holland America Line (HAL) has cancelled Oosterdam departures in Australia through to and including 22 Dec.

Princess and P&O to follow?🤔

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Holland America Line (HAL) has cancelled Oosterdam departures in Australia through to and including 22 Dec.

Princess and P&O to follow?🤔

Where would P&O Au go to?  They only sail in our waters. 

Princess - now if they can sail their ships somewhere else then maybe they might move them. 

56 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Where would P&O Au go to?  They only sail in our waters. 

Princess - now if they can sail their ships somewhere else then maybe they might move them. 

I doubt they would become P&O NZ? 😉

Cruise cancellations in Australia/NZ seems to only refer to large mass cruising vessels??

Difficult to see when the ban will be lifted, at this stage?

Makes future planning with any certainty almost impossible for people who like to cruise.

Webcam on the snow slopes, Perisher and Buller  today revealed large numbers of people enjoying the snow, for those lucky enough to get there.

How about this for an idea. As a Princess cruiser I’d like to see them bring (Maybe 2 or 3 ships) here.

Once here, quarantine FULLY VACCINATED crew, only allow Aus and NZ FULLY VACCINATED pax and then conduct Aus/NZ cruises only. 

No overseas pax. 

No international destinations 

..........and if any state or territory borders slam shut we just sail away.

Im afraid I’ve started to take a harder line with people who can, but won’t get vaccinated, scan before entering premises or wear their face masks with their noses exposed.

if they get sick ....... well, cull another idiot from the herd.

The percentage of serious side effects is soooooooo small as to be statistically irrelevant. Talk to the Doc first to see if you are likely to get an adverse reaction.

if you are and can’t get the AZ then perhaps don’t travel because you are putting yourself (and others) at risk.

The Government should announce an “Opening Date” and then there’ll be a sense of urgency to prepare.

Apologies for venting but this has all gone on far too long. 

Livelihoods are being destroyed and the cruise industry cannot sustain this much longer.

• Like 4