Metal Detector and Artificial Knees

I am like you and both of my knees have been replaced.

Anywhere I go I just tell them, before I walk through, that I have artificial knees and they have me walk through and then they take me aside and use the wand on me.  No documentation is needed and if like me they can tell just by looking at the scars on your knees.

And this is everywhere, Cruise terminals; Amusement parks; Airports; Court Houses; Federal buildings, etc.

• Like 1

I can go through Carnival's metal detectors with chromium, titanium and cobalt implants, rods and screws.

At an airport, I'll use the full body scanner rather than their metal detector since I hardly ever get wanded this way.

You never know. My son's braces set off the metal detector at the aiport, and they just swabbed his hands.

My wife's piercings have also set off metal detectors, but never been an issue.

But in both cases they don't always go off. Just sometimes.

Edited by Jamesatgsu

I have a rod in my back, with the screws and such, for 30 years,  it hasn’t even registered on the screening devices, yet one trip I wore a top that has a bit of embroidery design….this set off the alarm.  After much “go through again mam” & lots of wand use, we deducted that some of the embroidery was metallic thread!!

Have both knee and hip replacements. They will set off the alarms at airports,  but most of the time will not set off the screening devices at Carnival which are probably set for less sensitivity. In any event, explain what you have, you will be wanded, and sent on your way. 😎

My case is slightly different.  I have an implanted defibrillator in my shoulder.   The scanners will change the settings in it so I can't go through them.  I have always just pointed to it and they have me go around and hand scan me.  I have never had to show them any documentations even though I have it.  In your case, I would just tell them that you have artificial knees and they will then know that it might set the detector off.  

On 6/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, FloatingSunGoddess said:

Does anyone have experience with going through the metal detector at embarkation with artificial knees?  I have had both knees replaced since my last cruise.  Do you need any documentation?  Any advice would be appreciated.🙂

If they are made of titanium they will not be detected. I would still bring something indicating your have it. I have titanium screws in my neck and they are not detectable.

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If they are made of titanium they will not be detected. I would still bring something indicating your have it. I have titanium screws in my neck and they are not detectable.

They sure are detectable.  My hip is titanium and I always set off metal detectors.  Your screws probably are just too small to register.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, flczr said:

When you have surgery they give you a card documenting what kind of implant you have. My wife’s lower back is screws and plates and the alarm never goes off. 

not always. a few months ago i needed 2 screws to fixed a knee fracture. i don't have any cards or any other documents that i have screws in me

I've got both knees replaced with titanium, and never had an issue.  I use to tell the TSA folks at the airport that I have metal in my knees so they always put me through the full body scanner.  A few years ago, the Security location at the airport didn't have a full body scanner option, and they suggested just going through the regular metal detector to see what happened.  Went through just fine.  Haven't had any issues at the port metal detectors either.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:55 PM, flczr said:

When you have surgery they give you a card documenting what kind of implant you have. My wife’s lower back is screws and plates and the alarm never goes off. 

They actually stopped doing that routinely. You have to call the manufacturer for a card now. Surprise surprise too much forging.