P&O Cancelling Cruise Bookings!

shopaholic6

24 minutes ago, rainbowhays said:

Sorry to disagree, but it wasn’t government ADVICE, it was a Directive to the relevant cruise companies not to have more than 1000 passengers. Correct me if I am wrong and please provide any evidence but I have found nowhere in the records where it states that the restrictions imposed are to be lifted after such and such a date.

As regards to Ts and Cs the law states that they have to be relevant, fair and not hidden away.

I think you are trying to count angels on a pin head with regards to the difference between a  directive and  advice.

The majority of cruise lines took the view that restrictions wouid be lifted after June 21st. Indeed, if they thought that restrictions wouid not be lifted, they would not have started to take bookings on what would have been unprofitable cruises.

So, we have a situation whereby cruise lines are selling cruises,  and thousands of people are booking the cruises, based purely on an expectation that CV19 will be under control.

Whilst I fully understand that P&O have not handled the current situation well, it takes two to tango.

In an uncertain climate, P&O offered cruises for sale, and in the same climate,  these cruises were purchased by people who, understandably were looking forward to a summer break. But, surely, there must have been a doubt that these cruises would go ahead?

Yes, I appreciate that perhaps P&O shouid only have booked 1000 pax per cruise,  but that would have been uneconomic, and they would not have launched a cruise programme based on that level of occupancy. 

Perhaps we should just be thankful that P&O are still cruising at all, as it would probably be more economic for them just  to cancel all the cruises until the end of July. 

I want to say how sorry I am for all of those that have had their holiday plans ruined,  but, in hindsight, perhaps it was being optimistic in the extreme to think that these early cruises wouid ever actually happen as planned.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I think you are trying to count angels on a pin head with regards to the difference between a  directive and  advice.

The majority of cruise lines took the view that restrictions wouid be lifted after June 21st. Indeed, if they thought that restrictions wouid not be lifted, they would not have started to take bookings on what would have been unprofitable cruises.

So, we have a situation whereby cruise lines are selling cruises,  and thousands of people are booking the cruises, based purely on an expectation that CV19 will be under control.

Whilst I fully understand that P&O have not handled the current situation well, it takes two to tango.

In an uncertain climate, P&O offered cruises for sale, and in the same climate,  these cruises were purchased by people who, understandably were looking forward to a summer break. But, surely, there must have been a doubt that these cruises would go ahead?

Yes, I appreciate that perhaps P&O shouid only have booked 1000 pax per cruise,  but that would have been uneconomic, and they would not have launched a cruise programme based on that level of occupancy. 

Perhaps we should just be thankful that P&O are still cruising at all, as it would probably be more economic for them just  to cancel all the cruises until the end of July. 

I want to say how sorry I am for all of those that have had their holiday plans ruined,  but, in hindsight, perhaps it was being optimistic in the extreme to think that these early cruises wouid ever actually happen as planned.  

I agree with a lot of this, and if you remember, it’s similar to the main gist of what I wrote a fortnight ago that those tourists who had to return suddenly from Portugal knew that they were also taking a chance. 
I’ve also been sorry to read about our members here being bumped off their cruises, no Schadenfreude from me! And all of you in that situation are entitled to feel aggrieved and disappointed, even angry. But you’ve all taken it well, no expressions of ‘heartache’. 
I still don’t understand why P&O weren’t more open about the possibility of this happening. It they had operated a waitlist, then folks could have made an informed decision. A lot of retirees are able to take off at very short notice and I suspect that many would have been happy to be placed on a waitlist. For others who have to book time off work/make arrangements for caring responsibilities, then it could well be a different story. It might have avoided a lot of ill-feeling all round. 

• Like 10

As a positive update to someone who has had their cruise cancelled, the full payment I had to make at booking is now showing back on my credit card already.

At least P&O can have some credit for the refund swiftness.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, rainbowhays said:

Sorry to disagree, but it wasn’t government ADVICE, it was a Directive to the relevant cruise companies not to have more than 1000 passengers. Correct me if I am wrong and please provide any evidence but I have found nowhere in the records where it states that the restrictions imposed are to be lifted after such and such a date.

As regards to Ts and Cs the law states that they have to be relevant, fair and not hidden away.

image.png.fdd6e0e3f9c82e9ca1d8fa453151899a.png

Please remember that when its says "no earlier than" the Government were clearly promoting hitting these dates. They were encouraging cruise lines to have capacity ready for these dates.

P&O had actually given themselves a weeks grace.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 4

If P&O (Carnival UK) were so hell-bent on filling ships to the brim, why have they taken a comparitively cautious approach to a return to sailing with only 2 ships (+1 from Cunard) and not sending them all into the fray?

The fact that the ships chosen for restart are the largest of the fleet would indicate to me that they are very mindful and cautious as to their approach, bearing in mind the capacity limitations and ability to achieve a comfortable experience onboard for those who've chosen to cruise.  Imagine what would happen if they went full power with as many ships as they could and did so in a half-measured way and God forbid had an outbreak of some kind?  They would be absolutely excoriated on all levels and people would be screaming from the hilltops about how they should have gone slower and more cautiously.  Damned if they do, and damned if they don't...

There was mention of Viking a few posts back; they have a max capacity of 930 and from what I've heard their domestic UK cruises were sailing with about a 1/3 capacity, not to mention their requirements for 'vaccinated passengers' is misleading as they only required passengers to have at least one jab, and not the full dose.  Sure they might be doing other perceived mitigations onboard in the form of daily testing, temperature checks, etc. but I would prefer to know I was on a ship with fully vaccinated passengers instead of a mix of full and half vaccinated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

fortnight ago that those tourists who had to return suddenly from Portugal knew that they were also taking a chance. 

The big difference is that the tourists who went to Portugal, did so knowing that the government were going to place countries on a "watch'' list prior to them being moved up a level.  Taking a holiday with that in mind is totally understandable.

The government then did a total U turn by abandoning the watch list policy, leading to the inevitable shambles. 

• Like 2

Overall it looks as though some cruise companies were being optimistic and booking over 1000 for some cruises hoping for the 21st June date to be ‘correct’ . P&O is not alone in this, however it seems there are some cruise companies that are not having to cancel cruisers. Either they were being more cautious, or their bookings hadn’t reached that limit. 

52 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Overall it looks as though some cruise companies were being optimistic and booking over 1000 for some cruises hoping for the 21st June date to be ‘correct’ . P&O is not alone in this, however it seems there are some cruise companies that are not having to cancel cruisers. Either they were being more cautious, or their bookings hadn’t reached that limit. 

So far there is no mention of Celebrity cancelling anyone, they pulled the early cruises several weeks ago presumably when they reached capacity. It is strange though as the parent company Royal have offered lift and shift to reduce numbers on their early cruises.

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

image.png.fdd6e0e3f9c82e9ca1d8fa453151899a.png

Please remember that when its says "no earlier than" the Government were clearly promoting hitting these dates. They were encouraging cruise lines to have capacity ready for these dates.

P&O had actually given themselves a weeks grace.

Whilst Roadmap step 4 stated no earlier than 21 June it also does not say "guaranteed" that it would be relaxed so anyone with a sense of intelligence would realise that they are saying restrictions will not relax before 21st June but there is nothing to say that Step 4 might be extended which there was always that chance with an ever changing daily virus. But of course P&O/MSC/RCL senior management assumed that they would be allowed to fill their ships to capacity, albeit wrongly, so sold cruises on that belief to which they have now been caught out and upsets their loyal cruisers and damages the long term brands of these cruise lines and a matter of trusting them in the future.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

So far there is no mention of Celebrity cancelling anyone, they pulled the early cruises several weeks ago presumably when they reached capacity. It is strange though as the parent company Royal have offered lift and shift to reduce numbers on their early cruises.

Yes, a report says that Marella, Viking and Celebrity have said they are not affected. Celebrity pulled cruises a few weeks ago, so being proactive. Luckily (we hope) Celebrity’s management took a different course of action to RCI.

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

It's precisely because there was doubt that CRUISES would go ahead that we didn't book cruises but specifically SEACATIONS - i.e. not leaving domestic waters, not calling at any ports, and with reduced passenger capacity to ensure compliance with social distancing. The only thing that would possibly stop that is a return to a full stay at home lockdown. 

Or so we thought..... 😠   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

Yes, a report says that Marella, Viking and Celebrity have said they are not affected. Celebrity pulled cruises a few weeks ago, so being proactive. Luckily (we hope) Celebrity’s management took a different course of action to RCI.

I heard that RC offered folk a swap to a longer cruise a bit later. 7 nights for 4. Same cabin grade, same price. Something like that.

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Shame they cant move people onto another currently un-used ship.....

Granted i dont know the costs and profit margins etc but worth a review

There just isn’t the lead time to bring another ship back into service.

After being bumped off my Britannia cruise in July now worried about my Iona cruise in August our daughter is booked also but in a single cabin separate bookings  she booked after us so they could cancel us or cancel her booking individually the uncertainty is very much unsettling if we pay in full and then we cancel because she’s been cancelled we will lose our money or should we cancel now before we pay the full balance 

47 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

After being bumped off my Britannia cruise in July now worried about my Iona cruise in August our daughter is booked also but in a single cabin separate bookings  she booked after us so they could cancel us or cancel her booking individually the uncertainty is very much unsettling if we pay in full and then we cancel because she’s been cancelled we will lose our money or should we cancel now before we pay the full balance 

On RCL you can link cruises so they know people are cruising together just in different rooms. Not sure if P and O can

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

On RCL you can link cruises so they know people are cruising together just in different rooms. Not sure if P and O can

Yes they do we have linked bookings on previous cruises with P&O, not sure if it can be done on line on the CP, but it can do done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Shame they cant move people onto another currently un-used ship.....

Granted i dont know the costs and profit margins etc but worth a review

Impossible- how are you going to recruit the crew, train them, and put them through quarantine in the time available?

But, I'm sure you knew this.

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

With a 30 day final payment date you have until 22nd July to make your mind up. We should know by then if things are OK after the 19th July. I intend to purchase my single trip travel insurance in early July when we should get some feedback on how P&O are handling the policies. Also confirm my private hire car which I can cancel or move to a later date. Moving dates may also apply to the insurance policy too.

Oops, nearly forgot the NHS vaccination confirmation and pdf printout. We will have to see if the QCR code has a use by date.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Oops, nearly forgot the NHS vaccination confirmation and pdf printout. We will have to see if the QCR code has a use by date.

It does. I did a test when I first launched the app and am now waiting to nearer departure time to request the new one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes they do we have linked bookings on previous cruises with P&O, not sure if it can be done on line on the CP, but it can do done.

Thanks will give them a ring today I managed to find on the website it should be done when booking so fingers crossed .

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

With a 30 day final payment date you have until 22nd July to make your mind up. We should know by then if things are OK after the 19th July. I intend to purchase my single trip travel insurance in early July when we should get some feedback on how P&O are handling the policies. Also confirm my private hire car which I can cancel or move to a later date. Moving dates may also apply to the insurance policy too.

Hi Dave we had everything in order ready for our July cruise the QRC code on the letter from NHS (phoned 119) has no expiration date on managed to change my hotel booking to later on this year as well as car parking and already had my insurance it’s really unsettling thinking could they would they bump me  again or my daughters booking if we were cancelled there is no way she would want to go alone, will contact P&o today to link bookings 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It does. I did a test when I first launched the app and am now waiting to nearer departure time to request the new one.

My understanding is that the certificate in the app will be updated automatically but that if you use the pdf download you will have to check that it is still valid and update it if necessary. Apparently this is to mitigate potential fraud.

1 hour ago, L751 said:

Does that mean it is only valid for a period of time?

The QR code in the app is valid for period of time (the date is underneath the code) after which it automatically updates as the cetificate in the app is 'live'. If you download or print a copy it will only be vaid up to the expirty date when you will have to downlaod or print again.