Canceling of Cruises

rfs7306

What is NCL trying to pull? My cruise on the Dawn for November got canceled and they gave 10% off on future cruises  and then raised the price of those cruises more than 10% and now they will drop the currant deal they have soon. Will give you till July to use your 10% what a sham!!!  I have been a loyal customer of NCL for a long time but I'm going to have to rethink that now. Not because of the cancelation but because of their tactics with rebooking. 

23 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

What is NCL trying to pull? My cruise on the Dawn for November got canceled and they gave 10% off on future cruises  and then raised the price of those cruises more than 10% and now they will drop the currant deal they have soon.

Why not just book a new cruise on whichever line offers you the most appealing price/itinerary?  It could be NCL and it could be somebody else.

Inflation is one thing, but cancelling cruises then raising fares is another.  Two other lines I currently have reservations with, MSC & Viking Ocean, have held their prices more or less steady compared to pre-pandemic levels.  Well MSC has some outrageously priced short cruises, but their 7+ nights cruises have remained largely the same.  With NCL, every cancellation/suspension is followed by 40% to 60% increase in fares.  That just doesn't feel right.  We, as consumers, can always walk away with our wallets and shower another cruise line with our hard earned cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selion said:

With NCL, every cancellation/suspension is followed by 40% to 60% increase in fares.  That just doesn't feel right.  We, as consumers, can always walk away with our wallets and shower another cruise line with our hard earned cash.

40% to 60%??  🤣  Why not just walk away with your wallet and shower another cruise line with all your cash?  Please come back and tell us the specific cruise that was so much cheaper on brand xyz than a comparable cruise was on NCL.

I will say this . I have cruises booked on MSC, Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL. NCL seems to be the shadiest right now with their tactics. Throwing out more cruises for bookings they know probably won’t sail just to get people to book and tie up their money . All lines have canceled bookings but NCL has a ton and does indeed raise prices with each move. I don’t see it to this extreme with other lines I’m monitoring. Prices are all over the board hence why I’m booked all over the place . The limited cruises upcoming on NCL for a week are about $1700 bare bones for a week for 2. I just booked a Carnival cruise on the new Panorama for late August for a week to the Riviera for an amazingly low $200 per person plus tax and port for an inside . $669 total for two which I couldn’t pass up. Never seen a deal like this.  I suggest looking elsewhere as pricing and practices on NCL have turned me off and I won’t sail with them again until fall 2023.

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I will say this . I have cruises booked on MSC, Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL. NCL seems to be the shadiest right now with their tactics. Throwing out more cruises for bookings they know probably won’t sail just to get people to book and tie up their money . All lines have canceled bookings but NCL has a ton and does indeed raise prices with each move. I don’t see it to this extreme with other lines I’m monitoring. Prices are all over the board hence why I’m booked all over the place . The limited cruises upcoming on NCL for a week are about $1700 bare bones for a week for 2. I just booked a Carnival cruise on the new Panorama for late August for a week to the Riviera for an amazingly low $200 per person plus tax and port for an inside . $669 total for two which I couldn’t pass up. Never seen a deal like this.  I suggest looking elsewhere as pricing and practices on NCL have turned me off and I won’t sail with them again until fall 2023.

And that Carnival cruise is now 399$ For an inside  and that is only one date most of the other dates are 499 so other cruise lines are raising prices as well. I haven’t compared RCCL but they are always more. Costs are going up, prices will have to follow. Also figure in prices for free at sea and NCL is still in line with other cruise lines. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

40% to 60%??  🤣  Why not just walk away with your wallet and shower another cruise line with all your cash?  Please come back and tell us the specific cruise that was so much cheaper on brand xyz than a comparable cruise was on NCL.

Welcome to CC.

Unfortunately this isn't new for them, nearly all of us here have at least 1 (most of us 3+) cancelled cruise from NCL and the prices have gone way up, despite the 30% off + 10% coupon.

My Greek sailing this October wasn't cancelled per se, they just switched ships. Instead of transferring the booking to the new ship (like they did to my August Alaska cruise that switched from the Bliss to sister ship Encore), I had to rebook. The rebook price for Greek in the exact same cabin would have been 40% higher (over $3K). So I switched to RCC and am sailing with them to Greece for less than I would have with NCL.

Right now there is a LOT of speculation about what cruise lines will, would, could or should do - but it's all just hocus pocus. None of us know until those first ships start sailing and returning without issues, ships are allowed to sail at full capacity, people are booking them at full capacity, and the rich CEOs are earning enough money to buy their own private yachts again meanwhile us little guys are just trying to find a balcony for $200/day to escape reality for a week.

Never say never, because it will never stay true. Do research, shop around, take a chance on another line if they have an itinerary that suits your budget, and be open to change. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Selion said:Well MSC has some outrageously priced short cruises, but their 7+ nights cruises have remained largely the same.  With NCL, every cancellation/suspension is followed by 40% to 60% increase in fares.  That just doesn't feel right.  We, as consumers, can always walk away with our wallets and shower another cruise line with our hard earned cash.

This is my sentiment as well. NCL and Royal are sticking it to people the most right now in my opinion . I’m aware that all the lines are raising prices but some not as much as previous sailings. I’ve sailed most of the major lines.  Carnival doesn’t appear to be gouging too badly. I recently booked a 14 day cruise next August on the new MSC Seashore out of Miami. Balcony with drink packages for my wife and I and my two kids, WiFi as well. Price was $5345. Try finding anything for two weeks next summer in a balcony for four with drink packages and WiFi on NCL or Royal ….. that is what they want for a one week sailings with equal packages on Caribbean sailings on both lines . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The increases are comparisons between NCL's own cruises, not with other lines.  A friend of mine was booked on the NCL Gem out of DR in Sept for 7 nights.  He was in a Club Balcony with NCL air, his total was about $3400 ($699 for air).  NCL then cancelled all Gem sailings out of DR, so he rebooked on the Sky out of Miami on the same date for 7 nights.  By the time he booked, balcony was sold out so he was in an Oceanview.  With NCL BOGO air, his total is now $2800 ($199 for air).  By now the Sky cruise is only $100 less than his cancelled Gem cruise, once you've taken the air component out.

But wait, there's more!

NCL then swapped Gem for Sky out of Miami in August & September.  He checked the fares on Club Balcony, in fact the same stateroom since it was still available, the cruise total with BOGO air ($199) is now $4800.  So the same stateroom on the same sail date with a similar itinerary, after a cancellation and a ship swap went from $2700 to $4600.  If this is not price gauging, then I don't know what is.

My friend is staying with his oceanview on the Gem.  We both agreed that for the new Club Balcony cost, we'd be sailing Yacht Club on MSC ships.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Agree 100%.  NCL is pulling some shady stuff right now.  I'm still waiting on my refund from over a month ago after being bombarded with "we're back" letters, emails, phone calls and then getting the big kick in the pants when NCL changed their mind.

I saw your posting over at Carnival with the Panorama and saw the same pricing. Instead of pulling the trigger, I waited a few hours to think about it.  POOF!  Deal was gone by then.  Sorry I missed it, as I would have done 2 cruises in a month, flying to FL to sail the Celebrity Edge, coming home from that sailing for 2 weeks and then heading for LA to sail on the Panorama.

There are deals out there.  None of them are for NCL.  Their FCC + 25% FCC Bonus (from last year) + 10% cruise credit don't come near prices I have been looking at for the same category with Celebrity and Carnival.  Not sure about Royal as they kind of punted their COVID requirements, so I've looked a little, but not much at what they're doing. 

• Like 1

None of this is a coincidence that NCL is postured the weakest from an economic standpoint. RCL being next. No one really knows MSC because they aren't publicly traded, but they are still purchasing container ships. I've read for the last year how cruise prices are going to skyrocket. I believe that those willing to go the last minute route will find prices less expensive than pre-covid Supply and demand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I’ve checked with both RCI and Carnival - and the dates/categories I’m looking for are sold out.  Just as an FYI I’m looking at the suite category.  Tells ya something about the other cruise line’s prices compared to NCL.

I imagine a lot has to do with the timing/itinerary.

We were part of the Dawn cancellation.  Rebooked on Getaway.

Same basic itinerary, same number of days.  Getaway 2 weeks later. Dawn was booked 18+ months ago.  Total for BA balcony was $4442.00 on Dawn.  Total for MB Club balcony on Getaway, $4835.00

17 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I imagine a lot has to do with the timing/itinerary.

We were part of the Dawn cancellation.  Rebooked on Getaway.

Same basic itinerary, same number of days.  Getaway 2 weeks later. Dawn was booked 18+ months ago.  Total for BA balcony was $4442.00 on Dawn.  Total for MB Club balcony on Getaway, $4835.00

It maybe ECCruise.  All I know is that I'm currently booked on the Joy for December.  I booked it a while ago (don't remember exactly when because of all the cancel/rebooking).  If I were to book the exact same room the rate is over $2K more.  And because I'm really nervous that this cruise will also be cancelled I've been looking at other cruises are the same time in December - and I can not book anything even close to the same price.  Which is why I looked at other cruise lines - but other cruise lines suites are all booked.

So now I sit and wait....and hope and pray.  If in the end my cruise gets cancelled I will book another suite on another NCL ship paying way to much.  Only because its all that is available.  I think its horrible that the cruise lines continue to let people book cruises that they know will not sail.  They should take them away so we can find alternatives while they are still available.  But i'm rambling  

Happy cruising all. 

I think we are still a long way off from any firm decisions being made on cruises.  The world is still a big mess in many areas and more lock downs and virus cases just being announced today.  Every cruise has to be planned far in advance and the unknows have to be contended with much later.  As far as sold out and the outrageous prices right now, booking to a limited capacity must be part of that along with many folks desperately trying to use up cruise credits and discounts soon to expire.   If....we ever get back to 3 or 4 months of cruises operating normally, no problems, then I'll be interested in how much demand there is and where the prices go.   I'm guessing down to then help fill the ships.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

On 6/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, JAGR said:

Agreed.  Never hurts to ask.  I got over $1000 off of a Caribbean B2B, even though they say tough luck usually.  The only thing with MSC, is you may have to call a few times to get a knowledgeable and helpful agent.  Usually, I find most reps meet only one of the two criteria.  To me the key is to ask kindly and not assume entitlement or take an argumentative approach. 

16 hours ago, Selion said:

Inflation is one thing, but cancelling cruises then raising fares is another.  Two other lines I currently have reservations with, MSC & Viking Ocean, have held their prices more or less steady compared to pre-pandemic levels.  Well MSC has some outrageously priced short cruises, but their 7+ nights cruises have remained largely the same.  With NCL, every cancellation/suspension is followed by 40% to 60% increase in fares.  That just doesn't feel right.  We, as consumers, can always walk away with our wallets and shower another cruise line with our hard earned cash.

MSC just cancelled my Aug 2 cruise and replaced it with EXACT same cruise with a different ship. I Paid $680 all in for balcony and now $1100 all in for balcony. I complaned and it went nowhere. I am not giving them another $500 for same cruise.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, thepla said:

MSC just cancelled my Aug 2 cruise and replaced it with EXACT same cruise with a different ship. I Paid $680 all in for balcony and now $1100 all in for balcony. I complaned and it went nowhere. I am not giving them another $500 for same cruise.

Interesting.  I guess it's not just NCL who are making customers upset.

I've learned to roll with the punches during 2020 - 2021.  AK = cancel, rebook, cancel, rebook, cancel, rebook, ship change.  They've also cancelled a fall 2021 cruise that I was already planning to cancel.  Saved me a phone call.  At the end of the day, I'm in the same territory price wise with better promos.  YMMV.  Beyond 2021, I'm fully anticipating everything going back to business as usual.  Consequently, we have five cruises planned/booked through Spring 2024.  The pricing on all were "normal" and the promos are great.  For those concerned with future price increases, why not just book now (or even better, last month).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thepla said:

If it's just a ship swap, MSC should move your reservation without pricing changes.  All the promos when you first booked should also carryover with the reservation to the new ship.  Email mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com and ask them to adjust the pricing & apply previous promos.

Now that only applies when MSC changes ships.  If MSC cancelled the cruise then announced the same itinerary with a different ship, they treat that as a new cruise and will not apply your previous pricing.

38 minutes ago, Selion said:

If it's just a ship swap, MSC should move your reservation without pricing changes.  All the promos when you first booked should also carryover with the reservation to the new ship.  Email mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com and ask them to adjust the pricing & apply previous promos.

Now that only applies when MSC changes ships.  If MSC cancelled the cruise then announced the same itinerary with a different ship, they treat that as a new cruise and will not apply your previous pricing.

Yes MSC played game of cancelliing trip and than posting same trip. Not only did it go up $500 I would lose extra $100 OBC that was in my first booking. Not sure who would pay total of over $1100 for 4 days (2 on their Island and one in Bahamas). crusing is not only option for nice trips.

2 hours ago, thepla said:

Yes MSC played game of cancelliing trip and than posting same trip. Not only did it go up $500 I would lose extra $100 OBC that was in my first booking. Not sure who would pay total of over $1100 for 4 days (2 on their Island and one in Bahamas). crusing is not only option for nice trips.

That sounds like typical MSC. IMO, they make poor decisions (like this one) which cost them customers more often than our big 3. As far as I know, MSC is the only cruise line that some USA agents refuse to sell. Apparently they are terrible to work with for Travel Agents also. I have 3 agents I typically use to book cruises and 2 absolutely refuse to sell MSC.

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

None of this is a coincidence that NCL is postured the weakest from an economic standpoint. RCL being next. No one really knows MSC because they aren't publicly traded, but they are still purchasing container ships. I've read for the last year how cruise prices are going to skyrocket. I believe that those willing to go the last minute route will find prices less expensive than pre-covid Supply and demand.

It appears that pricing depends on how financially sound the cruise line was going into the pandemic. They all had to seek loans to stay afloat for 18 months. NCL's loan with Goldman Sachs just ran out so they are looking to rebuild their balance sheet and pay back the loan.

30 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

It appears that pricing depends on how financially sound the cruise line was going into the pandemic. They all had to seek loans to stay afloat for 18 months. NCL's loan with Goldman Sachs just ran out so they are looking to rebuild their balance sheet and pay back the loan.

This paints a bit more rosy of a picture:

Norwegian Cruise Line Raises Over $2 Billion After Warning Of Possible Bankruptcy (forbes.com)

35 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That article was published may 2020. They have borrowed twice since that article was published. I also believe they deleted stock (but I’d need to check my notes). The financials will be released soon. Those should paint the most accurate picture.