Does anyone going on a cruise not take the trip insurance?

BevvylynnC

8 hours ago, iancal said:

We do not view $10K of out of country medical insurance as insurance.

When I first called HAL and asked about this I thought that either the agent had erred or I had not heard it right.  It is a joke.

Our last out of country medical was purchased with a deductable  of $10K.  It reduced our premium by 30 percent.

We are not concerned about $10K.  It is the $200K plus medical/hospital  expenses that concern us as well as the evac. costs.

I hope that people do not get lulled into a false sense of security by this low coverage amount.

I’d be shocked if anyone thought $10k was adequate medical coverage.  I’m pretty sure I saw someone post that they have $100k of medical insurance through their credit card which I also think is way to low.  Thankfully I have not had any serious medical issues abroad so I really don’t know. I believe the policy I buy covers $1 million.  The rates aren’t ridiculous and I’d rather have too much than too little.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Good advice.

Here’s one: Our Canadian Cruise companions went ashore in Polynesia in 2018 and mysteriously never reboarded. The Husband keeled over ashore critically ill. Day later Air France to LAX thence to Cedar-Sinai Hosp. Travel insurance plus Canada insurance paid for everything except Wife had to pay for her flight ticket. 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Do you mean that the cruise line cancelled the cruise? If that is the case, they are obligated to refund your fare. No insurance claim is necessary. In fact it would be denied because the claimant had already been reimbursed by the cruise line.

I think the issue faced by some with travel insurance is that they got the cruise fare refunded by the cruise company but had problems getting their insurance premium refunded.  Apparently in some cases folks were able to get their insurance rolled over to a future cruise and others never got their premium back.  Those that had no insurance (we would be in that crowd) had no issues with insurance companies.

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think the issue faced by some with travel insurance is that they got the cruise fare refunded by the cruise company but had problems getting their insurance premium refunded.  Apparently in some cases folks were able to get their insurance rolled over to a future cruise and others never got their premium back.  Those that had no insurance (we would be in that crowd) had no issues with insurance companies.

Hank

I remember now. A few actually did get refunds, some of those who asked were able to get policies moved, but lots got nothing so they were still out the cost of the insurance. 

45 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We almost never take the HAL insurance, but we did in the middle of last year with everything up in the air, plus we got a GREAT deal, so the cost was minimal.  When our cruise was cancelled, we had to wait about 3 months but we did get the insurance cost back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We cancelled our Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise last summer before Princess did as we saw it could not possibly be a go. We had a refundable deposit, so that was not a problem, though it took almost 3 months. We also had our Travel Guard premium refunded. It seems that is the law in NY State  since we had nothing insured. Our TA had told us when we booked (pre-pandemic) that even that premium was refundable if we cancelled.

At some point I posted about that in the insurance forum, and was questioned about that from the insurance expert from  who sometimes pops into there. He was doubtful as he said he never heard of Travel Guard refunding a premium. When the refund came through, we posted that and then he believed. I asked him what other states had similar laws. He then tried to find out, but eventually responded that he was not getting any information from state insurance commissioners.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I asked him what other states had similar laws.

In FL if you or the provider cancels before your trip has started you are entitled to the insurance premium being fully refunded.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have filed a claim (a large claim) through GeoBlue which involved medical bills on Princess, in a Japanese Hospital, and medical evacuation from Japan back to the USA

Thank you, so much, for sharing your experience.  We will be checking out GeoBlue while searching for an annual travel insurance.

8 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Thank you, so much, for sharing your experience.  We will be checking out GeoBlue while searching for an annual travel insurance.

If you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card it comes with $10,000 cancellation/interruption insurance per trip. (I think $20K if you are two people?)  There is a annual fee of $95 but also comes with many other benefits. Yes, you do need to charge the trip, or most of it, to the credit card. 

• Thanks 1

This news from Royal Caribbean is interesting: starting with August 1 sailings through the end of the year (excluding those who previously booked before the announcement), they will require unvaccinated guests to carry a certain amount of travel insurance that “covers at least $25,000 in medical expenses and $50,000 per person for costs associated with quarantining and medical evacuation related to a positive Covid-19 test result.”

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-require-travel-insurance-for-my-cruise

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/06/29/covid-19-cruise-concerns-continue-royal-caribbean-makes-unvaccinated-passengers-buy-travel-insurance/

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/royal-caribbean-new-vaccine-guidance-florida-travel-insurance

I would imagine more information about policies that cover quarantines will be highlighted in the days ahead.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Chase Sapphire only covers $2,500 in medical expenses.  On our last few trips, we use the Chase card for the trip cancellation/interruption coverage, and bought a policy from GeoBlue to cover medical expenses.  This was much less expensive than buying a comprehensive trip insurance policy, which is what we used to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, tamsno said:

The Chase Sapphire insurance is for any travel charged to that card but not medical.  I buy Amex travel insurance for medical and evac at a good rate.  This time I bought HAL premium insurance to cover the medical and evac unknowns of the world today which includes pandemic and was actually cheaper than Amex.   I would never travel outside of the country without insurance.

It is also for medical (it covers $100,000 for medical evacuation and $2,500 for emergency treatment); you need to read details in coverage. And there are 2 Chase Sapphire credit cards: Preferred and  Reserve; one of them $95 fee, and the other one is $550 (starting September; it was $450), and this one gives more insurance coverage including more medical. (you also get $300 back per year for any travel purchase). We used the insurance last year when we were on the Ponant March 8-24 cruise.  It was a great cruise, and the great credit card.

Edited by kirtihk

With more than 25 cruises, we never felt the need to have any type of insurance. When covid popped up decided it was time to reevaluate that decision. Had 2 cruises cancelled/rebooked a number of times and aside from the medical coverage, just felt more comfortable having the option of cancellation with cancel for any reason insurance. I realize that anyone of any age can have an issue while traveling, but as we get older are realistic that chances increase and the costs for care also are increasing. Haven't yet looked at yearly insurance, but also haven't done a lot of traveling outside of our regular insurance coverage because of covid.

11 hours ago, Captain_Cruising said:

The Chase Reserve travel coverage is quite substantial.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirepreferred/travel

We have relied on Chase for a few years and think it is currently the best of the high-end cards.  In fact, we gave up our AMEX Platinum because the Chase Sapphire Reserve was a much better fit for our extensive travel habit.  But we do continue to post one very important fact about the travel coverage from Chase and most other cards.  The cancelation/interruption benefit (which is generous and free to card holders) does NOT include "cancel for any reason coverage."  The insurance only covers listed causes.

Hank

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have relied on Chase for a few years and think it is currently the best of the high-end cards.  In fact, we gave up our AMEX Platinum because the Chase Sapphire Reserve was a much better fit for our extensive travel habit.  But we do continue to post one very important fact about the travel coverage from Chase and most other cards.  The cancelation/interruption benefit (which is generous and free to card holders) does NOT include "cancel for any reason coverage."  The insurance only covers listed causes.

Hank

Good point and one that everyone should be aware of.  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:47 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

In FL if you or the provider cancels before your trip has started you are entitled to the insurance premium being fully refunded.

I would be very curious to know the source of your information.  Is this a new law?  That has not been my experience, which is why I always take HAL's Standard Plan so I can cancel for any reason  We don't need medical coverage, and we do buy evacuation insurance.

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I would be very curious to know the source of your information.  Is this a new law?  That has not been my experience, which is why I always take HAL's Standard Plan so I can cancel for any reason  We don't need medical coverage, and we do buy evacuation insurance.

Maybe she means if you cancel before final payment. If that is the case, you could get back a refundable deposit for the cruise as well as the insurance premium. You haven’t really benefitted from the policy if the expenses to that point were refundable. The insurance company bore no risk.

After final payment, you have incurred non-refundable expenses and have used the insurance in the sense that they have covered the risk of cancellation for a given period of time even if you did not file a claim. It would not make much sense to cancel after final payment and ask for the insurance premium to be refunded. You still have cancellation fees for the cruise fare that you’d have to pay for out  of pocket.

I don’t know if that is the case in Florida. I’m just trying to think how it might work.

As far as a cancellation by the cruise line, it is true that they have to give you a refund of the cruise fare, but we have seen many instances where people did not get the insurance premium refunded. I’m speaking of third-party insurance. I don't know what happens with insurance purchased through the cruise line.

I bought insurance through the cruise line. When HAL cancelled our cruise before final payment I had the choice of getting everything I had already paid - deposit and insurance - doubled as FCC or original dollars refunded.

22 hours ago, vswan said:

I bought insurance through the cruise line. When HAL cancelled our cruise before final payment I had the choice of getting everything I had already paid - deposit and insurance - doubled as FCC or original dollars refunded.

In my case HAL cancelled the March 2020 cruise at the very last day account Covid. I had ZERO insurance and booked thru HAL and the Airline direct. HAL (no questions asked) reimbursed me 100% of my Airfare, 1 night lodging at FLL, and all of the 30-day cruise fare/fees etc. Plus, I received a future cruise equal in value to the cancelled one. Insurance claimants, on the other hand, who CANCELLED ON THEIR OWN, or had their travel agent cancel for them, typically received back about 85-90% of their total gross outlay; and as I was told, some ‘Platinum Policyholders’ got a more generous reimbursement. Those of us who ‘called HAL’s bluff’ and were ready to board got a FCC outa the deal. I am always prepared to abort any cruise, any where, for any reason and find my own way home if need be. Others perhaps aren’t willing do that. So.. No Insurance??Indeed, not for everybody, but I am well ahead of the game now by never buying insurance. Comprende’??

3 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

In my case HAL cancelled the March 2020 cruise at the very last day account Covid. I had ZERO insurance and booked thru HAL and the Airline direct. HAL (no questions asked) reimbursed me 100% of my Airfare, 1 night lodging at FLL, and all of the 30-day cruise fare/fees etc. Plus, I received a future cruise equal in value to the cancelled one. Insurance claimants, on the other hand, who CANCELLED ON THEIR OWN, or had their travel agent cancel for them, typically received back about 85-90% of their total gross outlay; and as I was told, some ‘Platinum Policyholders’ got a more generous reimbursement. Those of us who ‘called HAL’s bluff’ and were ready to board got a FCC outa the deal. I am always prepared to abort any cruise, any where, for any reason and find my own way home if need be. Others perhaps aren’t willing do that. So.. No Insurance??Indeed, not for everybody, but I am well ahead of the game now by never buying insurance. Comprende’??

Entiendo.

But for some of us, cash is king.  I KNEW we weren’t going with the travel advisories and wasn’t about to let HAL have any more of my cash than I had to.  My travel insurance took care of it all, no issues. (And my insurance wouldn’t have covered me) 

Not everyone takes HAL’s insurance and I was fully compensated.  I still have some FCC but happy I got more cash than FCC.

I don’t regret buying the insurance - very happy I did.  I wasn’t interested on holding out for FCC - I already had some and that is more than enough.  I prefer the cash back in my hand but, different strokes for different folks 😉 

2 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

It worked out well for you in this instance because the cruise line is the one who cancelled. They were obligated to compensate you for the cruise fare and were willing to cover your other expenses as a goodwill gesture.

If you ever become seriously ill or have an accident on a cruise, do not expect them to be so accommodating. That is what travel insurance is really for because your greatest risk is the financial responsibility for medical expenses.

You are fortunate not to have that happen to you so far. May you continue to be well and prosper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

It worked out well for you in this instance because the cruise line is the one who cancelled. They were obligated to compensate you for the cruise fare and were willing to cover your other expenses as a goodwill gesture.

If you ever become seriously ill or have an accident on a cruise, do not expect them to be so accommodating. That is what travel insurance is really for because your greatest risk is the financial responsibility for medical expenses.

You are fortunate not to have that happen to you so far. May you continue to be well and prosper.

A friend of mine became ill in an exotic locale. We booked the next non-stop direct flight to Houston and its hospital. Done in 7/hrs. 

I was a big Chase Reserve fan and they offer 100k evac.  and a minimal medical (2,500).

Unfortunately they informed me the annual fee would be raised to 550 (from 450). You have to keep in mind that they credit 300 of travel against this so the current 'net' is 150 and will become 250.

As much as I like this card I think I will bail when it expires. 250-500k evac insurance and some medical is peanuts when purchased from 3rd party. Trip cancellation is pretty much the same as Sapphire Preferred (10k I believe).

Anyway, Preferred has many of the same Reserve benes (you lose the Priority Pass which is interesting but not alot of value IMHO). I suggested my wife get the Preferred with 100k bonus points and we should survive nicely with this.

I dumped the AMEX Platinum years ago because of the expanding fees -decreasing value of points.

Chase leads the way with point value and flexibility but maybe stretching with new Reserve fees. JMHO.

• Like 1