Athens Transportation: Airport >> Ship //Airport >> Hotel // Hotel >> Ship

Bruin Steve

yes, they will be waiting with a sign as @marazul noted, but I will also have the app installed and can connect to WIFI or activate a day pass on my carrier if needed.  My confirmation notes that my driver's information will also be sent to me in advance, and I can also contact them directly via an app chat feature or directly.

https://support.welcomepickups.com/en/articles/4698595-will-i-know-my-driver-s-details-before-my-pickup

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marazul said:

The drivers of all reputable transfer companies will be waiting for you as you come out of the customs secure area. They will be carrying a sign with your name on it. 

They will also keep track of your flight for any delays, actual landing,  etc.

That is their job. Reputable companies have done this hundreds of times.

Also, hotels that arrange for pick-up do so through a transfer company or private driver.   They do not have their own shuttles. 

Thanks @marazul - you seem to have quite a kno👍wledge!  Any pointers to arrange excursion or DIY (all passenger all 5-10 walkers, as of now :) in Myknos and Santorini when big ship arrives at port. Cruise company is charging $300US each passenger for day excursion but I heard...DIY by Gandola to go up in Santorini, or through Viator but line-up could be long and stairs to top of snatorin could be filled with donkeys/poop :). Any pointers on excursion safely/budget wise in Mykonos, Santorini, istanbul etc. TIA

4 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Thanks @marazul - you seem to have quite a kno👍wledge!  Any pointers to arrange excursion or DIY (all passenger all 5-10 walkers, as of now :) in Myknos and Santorini when big ship arrives at port. Cruise company is charging $300US each passenger for day excursion but I heard...DIY by Gandola to go up in Santorini, or through Viator but line-up could be long and stairs to top of snatorin could be filled with donkeys/poop :). Any pointers on excursion safely/budget wise in Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul etc. TIA

I would not book through Viator.  They are a consolidator and do not have local offices in any of those places.  Search this board for tour recommendations in each location.  Or google "excursion [name of town]"  or "[name of town] tourism" for local agencies.  Book directly with them after looking at reviews here, trip advisor or other sites.  We travel often to Greece, but we tend to rent cars or stay with friends. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, little britain said:

Recommendations please - Athens airport to Pireaus Hotel  - 9pm - single lady ?  

The Concierge at one’s Hotel will take care of everything.  Just send them a message.
After all, that’s just one of the many functions of a Concierge

No worry, no queues, no angst, no “how much”, one knows exactly who/when/where to meet.

Simple…..…..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The Concierge at one’s Hotel will take care of everything.  Just send them a message.
After all, that’s just one of the many functions of a Concierge

No worry, no queues, no angst, no “how much”, one knows exactly who/when/where to meet.

Simple…..…..

I don't think the grade of hotel I booked has a concierge darling....!!!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, little britain said:

I don't think the grade of hotel I booked has a concierge darling....!!!

Sometimes Hotel Receptions can also offer a Concierge Service.

Failing that, select from these three, as they are known to be reliable and safe by many on CC

1. https://athensairport.taxi/faq/   2) https://www.georgestaxi   3) www.welcomepickups.com

• 1 month later...

We have used Lorenzo Athens Taxi tour 4 times for pickup from port, airport and hotel as well as for Athens tours. Reasonably priced, very  pleasant and punctual. Will use his services again when we return, he is the best.

Lorenco.travel@gmail.com

i think there is a Fb page too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked the Athens Gate Hotel and they sent us an email asking if we would like to book a transfer from the airport “from 48 euros”. Is this normal pricing or a markup?

The official price for a taxi from the taxi line is 40 euros in the daytime, 55 at night (but always confirm the price with the driver before you get in the car, some may try to charge you extra for number of bags, etc.).   https://www.athensairporttaxi.org/athens-airport-taxi-fare/

50 € is normal for private transfers, although the prices are going up.  Compare the prices to a transfer from George's Taxi https://www.georgestaxi.com/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked the Athens Gate Hotel and they sent us an email asking if we would like to book a transfer from the airport “from 48 euros”. Is this normal pricing or a markup?

We will be staying at the Athens Gate starting August 30.  The email we received from them back in March says from 44 Euros.  Says it includes taxes and gratuity.  When I go through the steps the cost is 52 Euros and says it includes taxes and fees.  It is through welcome pickups.  If you go through their site it is 54 Euros so the hotel gives a little discount.  I have not booked anything yet but I think we might go with Athensairport.taxi.  They are 45 Euros. Front page of their website says 38 Euros from airport to central Athens.  Not sure why prices change.  We are only two people.

Edited by dickinson
  • Thanks 1

The official price of taxis from the taxi line used to be 35 euros. It has recently been increased to 40 euros.  You can expect that private services have also increased their rates in the past few months. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

OK...I've gotten a lot of good ideas as far as transfers between the airport and (Athens) hotel...what about hotel to ship and ship to airport?

Your hotel will call you a taxi to get to the port. You can book the private transfer again to go from the port to the airport. 

• 3 weeks later...

3 days pre cruise in Athens.  Staying at Marriott which is closer to port than acropolis.  Too far to walk into town center.  What is the best way to get back to hotel after an evening of walking shopping and eating?  Uber has spoiled us on getting from random points to random points at various times.

TIA

2 hours ago, Mr. Baloo said:

3 days pre cruise in Athens.  Staying at Marriott which is closer to port than acropolis.  Too far to walk into town center.  What is the best way to get back to hotel after an evening of walking shopping and eating?  Uber has spoiled us on getting from random points to random points at various times.

TIA

The Restaurant where one dines will call a local reliable cab, just ask.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The cigarette smoke at Athens airport is overwhelming. The bus stop for X96 is easy to find outside exit 5 which is handy because there is a washroom at exit 5 and they are few and far between. You need to go to the booth to purchase your €5,50 ticket which you scan inside the bus. There are areas to put your luggage but, at our age and with me using a cane, it was a bit of a struggle to get the cases on and off. It took 1 1/2 hours to reach the stop we needed for our hotel. The stops are shown on a screen although the proper Greek name is different from what we recognize. Be sure to have the correct spelling and you’ll be fine:  AHMOTIKO / DHMOTIKO

In hindsight we thought it would be as easy at the National Express from LHR to Southampton.  Definitely not.  No driver to assist with loading/unloading the luggage.  Unless you are fit and/or travelling light, bite the bullet and arrange private transport.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We plan to take the X96 bus from the airport to the cruise port.  Has anyone taken it?  Was there shelving or other secure space for suitcases on the bus?  I don't want to spend 1.5 hours holding onto my suitcase to stop it rolling around.

1 hour ago, Virginia Huskers said:

So do you who know think we can make an 11:45 flight at ATH if the ship docks at 7AM?

Yes.  Plenty of time to get there by 9-9:30 am.  Take a taxi or book a transfer.