Grand suite or junior

I'm looking at Oasis and both of these categories. Love the look of the Grand, however I've read comments about possible problem with shower tub combo. (Height of the side, mainly) Does anyone know if junior is the same. Travel companion has bad knee.

The sides are actually high enough (in both) that you could sit down on the edge and swing legs around/over, then stand up in the tub.   This may help with the bad knee.  The other thing to look at is an accessible jr suite, which will not have the tub.  However, as someone pointed out, the GS perks are significant, especially in O class.  Lots to consider.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

The sides are actually high enough (in both) that you could sit down on the edge and swing legs around/over, then stand up in the tub.   This may help with the bad knee.  The other thing to look at is an accessible jr suite, which will not have the tub.  However, as someone pointed out, the GS perks are significant, especially in O class.  Lots to consider.  

This is what I was taught to do in rehab after my hip replacement. 

3 hours ago, vegas7df said:

The junior suites I've been in have the shower/tub combo, however I've not been on the Oasis. 

They all do.  We stay in JS all the time and have on Oasis too.

I am healthy man with strong legs, and I have to take care stepping out of the tub/shower in a GS.  No only is the side high, but the level of the tub is just higher enough from that of the floor that it sort of can fool you.  Your companion most certainly should employ the "sit and swing" method of getting in and out.  Heck, I've done it, myself in a GS.

That said, the GS perks more than make up for the momentary inconvenience of dealing with the tub.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

No only is the side high, but the level of the tub is just higher enough from that of the floor that it sort of can fool you.

Totally agree with this.  I'm getting out of the shower, and my brain says my leg should be stopping, but it just keeps going down.  😉

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Totally agree with this.  I'm getting out of the shower, and my brain says my leg should be stopping, but it just keeps going down.  😉

Bingo.  It's a little disturbing, especially if there's a bit of motion while underway (or because of that third cocktail before getting cleaned up for dinner).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

For cost of a grand suite, you shouldn’t need to shower in the gym.  

You don't 'need' to do anything. Just offering an alternative. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Why are these tubs so high?

I've heard Plumbing underneath is why bottom is above floor. As far as wall height, it makes a good depth for soaking. I've enjoyed that aspect

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes, an alternative that shouldn’t be necessary to even think about.  

Believe it or not, the vast majority don't have an issue with the design. It's been around for years. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

Glad you brought that up- we got one for some travelling companions who had bad legs.  The access was perfect for them.  At some point, one may need a letter from a doctor explaining why the cabin class was needed.

But if it's needed, don't fool around with balance.  Having stayed in various suites over the years, getting in and out with a bad leg in any moving oceans would be a bad thing.

16 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Bingo.  It's a little disturbing, especially if there's a bit of motion while underway (or because of that third cocktail before getting cleaned up for dinner).

I think you made a Typo. Should it not be because of the third cocktail before getting cleaned up for Breakfast?

• Haha 1

If the difference in price between a JS and a GS is roughly the same as what the added GS perks are going for if purchased separately, we will go with a GS, but on Oasis-class ships the differences between the cabins themselves are not worth it if the price difference is too steep.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

If the difference in price between a JS and a GS is roughly the same as what the added GS perks are going for if purchased separately, we will go with a GS, but on Oasis-class ships the differences between the cabins themselves are not worth it if the price difference is too steep.

Thank you for pointing that egregious error.  We must have cruised together before!

6 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Believe it or not, the vast majority don't have an issue with the design. It's been around for years. 

Who said anything about the vast majority?  It’s obviously an issue for some, which is why it is being discussed here.  For those who have, or travel with someone who has a physical issue with it, it’s a legitimate concern.  Older people are both more likely to have a physical situation that is problematic with this particular bath/shower combo and to be traveling in a suite.  Just because a design has been around for years, doesn’t mean it is a good design.  And when paying the very high price of booking a suite, you shouldn’t have to even think about showering in the gym just to be able to shower without risking injuring yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1