Check-in/Princess Medallion

Capt Krunch

OK here is my problem.  I just got my first smartphone, had to do it as Verizon is doing away with 3G service in my area or so I was told and my old flip phone would not do 4G.  Anyway, was contemplating it anyway just due to that and this Princess app stuff had to do it sooner.  So I am in a learning mode.  With the help of my grandson who is thousands of miles away, and face time and zoom, I downloaded the Medallion app on my brand new scary IPhone SE.  No problem.  But then it would not let me get in with my regular Princess sign-on.  So then I tried going in using the booking number and it worked very well.  Was able to download my son and my emergency contacts, pin, accept the passage contract and health thingy (can't recall the exact name).  It wants the pictures but I don't have them yet so skipped and also skipped the credit card info as I haven't yet decided which one to use as our cruise is not until Feb 27, 2022.  No where did I see anywhere to make dinner reservations/preferences for the MDR or Specialty restaurants or a place to select a boarding time.  I have read here that others have been able to make these reservations for cruises farther out.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to put in the credit card info and the passport pictures etc. before it will give me that option?  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Frankly, for a first day smartphone user, I was rather surprised that I got as far as I did.

1 hour ago, DavidsNana said:

OK here is my problem.  I just got my first smartphone, had to do it as Verizon is doing away with 3G service in my area or so I was told and my old flip phone would not do 4G.  Anyway, was contemplating it anyway just due to that and this Princess app stuff had to do it sooner.  So I am in a learning mode.  With the help of my grandson who is thousands of miles away, and face time and zoom, I downloaded the Medallion app on my brand new scary IPhone SE.  No problem.  But then it would not let me get in with my regular Princess sign-on.  So then I tried going in using the booking number and it worked very well.  Was able to download my son and my emergency contacts, pin, accept the passage contract and health thingy (can't recall the exact name).  It wants the pictures but I don't have them yet so skipped and also skipped the credit card info as I haven't yet decided which one to use as our cruise is not until Feb 27, 2022.  No where did I see anywhere to make dinner reservations/preferences for the MDR or Specialty restaurants or a place to select a boarding time.  I have read here that others have been able to make these reservations for cruises farther out.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to put in the credit card info and the passport pictures etc. before it will give me that option?  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Frankly, for a first day smartphone user, I was rather surprised that I got as far as I did.

Look for the icon with the clock/knife and fork, If you click  that it opens up dining options. It hasn’t been working too well for me lately but you may have better luck. 
** you can also scroll down to dine my way

90CD88C8-769D-4FC2-9605-901111156D98.jpeg

F8FFDC5F-6019-464D-92CE-2F22D2058F9F.jpeg

Edited by Jadn13

Jadn 13 thanks.  I don't remember seeing this but will check again when I sign in tomorrow or later tonight.  Thanks.  I truly appreciate the assistance.  I will put this screen up or take a screen shot of it.  I have been doing screen shots as I read peoples advice and recommendations and putting them in a file to refer to.  I will post if it works for me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Jadn 13 thanks.  I don't remember seeing this but will check again when I sign in tomorrow or later tonight.  Thanks.  I truly appreciate the assistance.  I will put this screen up or take a screen shot of it.  I have been doing screen shots as I read peoples advice and recommendations and putting them in a file to refer to.  I will post if it works for me.

I am guessing you are rather new to Princess.  Unless you are Platinum or Elite in Captain's Circle (or have booked a Suite), you won't have access to advance Dining Res until you have made full payment for the voyage.  Arrival Groups (check-in time slots) won't be available until much closer to sail date.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, Capt Krunch said:

What has happened to the check-in feature on the Princess web site?

I do not use an iphone and cannot check-in as usual to get my boarding pass and luggage tags.

So what do I have to do now to check-in?

The previous Princess check-in isn't on the web site anymore.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Steelers36.  No not new to Princess.  I am Elite.  Thank you for your info.  I am very new, 3 days, to smart device though!!  I was able to go in and set up a table for two for myself and my son in the Palm dining room for 6 p.m. each night.  Now just need to look to see where the Palm dining room is as even though I have been on the Caribbean Princess 3 times, can't remember the locations of the various dining rooms.  Just haven't had time to do that yet.  Was able to choose early debarkation time versus walk-off etc.  Was able to order Medallions for both of us to be mailed to me.  I will take them to FL.  Have been trying today to put in credit card and every time I get in all the info and enter, I get a screen saying sorry try again later.  I am wondering if maybe I should try a visa or master card versus AmEX.  Tried to enter/download photos of us and couldn't get that done.  I have time.  Will keep trying but thanks to you for your assistance.  I have read many if not all of your helpful posts.  Much appreciated.

Jadn13 Thanks to you for your help and screen shots.  They were extremely helpful to me to get in the info that I have gotten in.  When I tried the alternative dining, all I got was not yet available. And I now know per Steelers36 that the arrival groups won't be available until closer to my sailing date.  I will keep checking and reading here.

Very grateful to you both and to the others here.  This is quite a process.  Hard to believe that Princess did this when it was so easy and quick to put all this info and access it all via a computer with regular keyboard and larger screen.  I understand upward and onward, but as has been said, why not leave it possible to do this on the computer and then an app for those who wanted to use it.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, DavidsNana said:

But then it would not let me get in with my regular Princess sign-on.  So then I tried going in using the booking number and it worked very well.

On the screen where you entered your booking number there is also a link to create an account (can't remember how it's worded). You can do that step and then set it up to use the same login info you use on the Princess site so you don't have to remember a separate login. I "cleverly" missed that option when trying to get my wife a login. Once it was (kindly) pointed out to me I felt like a floon for having missed it but it worked quite well. If you don't want to always remember your booking number check it out and setup your login.

Thrak, I will check that again next time I go on the app.  I tried that the first time but used my regular Princess log in that I use on Princess.com.  Did not think about making a new one just for the app.  Also, I have noticed that now when I go to the app it does not require me to sign in.  Don't know what I did or did not do, just not experienced enough.  Maybe just dumb luck.  I am blonde but don't think that works for this!  LOL  Thanks for the heads up/advice.  I must admit that for a new smart device user, this is an education.  Trial by fire!  I am actually finding it very interesting and kind of fun in some ways.  But then my cruise isn't until Feb. 27, 2022 so I have plenty of time to learn the device and the app.  Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Thrak, I will check that again next time I go on the app.  I tried that the first time but used my regular Princess log in that I use on Princess.com.  Did not think about making a new one just for the app.  Also, I have noticed that now when I go to the app it does not require me to sign in.  Don't know what I did or did not do, just not experienced enough.  Maybe just dumb luck.  I am blonde but don't think that works for this!  LOL  Thanks for the heads up/advice.  I must admit that for a new smart device user, this is an education.  Trial by fire!  I am actually finding it very interesting and kind of fun in some ways.  But then my cruise isn't until Feb. 27, 2022 so I have plenty of time to learn the device and the app.  Thanks again.

I logged out and checked. The link is "Sign Up". If you are already logged in with the booking number it will keep you logged in. I prefer to be able to log in without a booking number. Who knows when the app might crash or something or somehow you get logged out and don't have your booking number handy. If you log out now you can Sign Up and just use the same credentials you have for the Princess site.

image.thumb.png.835649b90b34ee6500dabb36014cb4de.png

• Like 1

Now just need to look to see where the Palm dining room is as even though I have been on the Caribbean Princess 3 times, can't remember the locations of the various dining rooms.  Just haven't had time to do that yet. 

On Princess.com, they have the fleet info and deck plans for each vessel.  You can also find deck plans in the MC App.  Looks like you will be on Caribbean Princess (CB).  You will find your DR Deck 6 Aft. 

PS - You are welcome and thanks for kind words in your post.

Edited by Steelers36

<deleted>.  @Thrak has already advised as to sustained login.

Edited by Steelers36

Thrak, thank you for the screen shot.  I agree, would be easier to just use my Princess.com info so I will do that.  Create a sign up using that.    Steelers36 says I must log out of the app first so will do that.  Thanks to you both..

Steelers36 Yes, Caribbean Princess and I did go on the website to check the placement and which dining room is the Palm.

Update:  I went back on the app about half an hour ago and was able to put in credit card info but used a MC rather than the AmEx.  Don't know if it did not like the format of the AmEx or just a fluke. I figure that I can always go to the Info Desk and change it when I get onboard.  Also was now able to scan in both my son's and my passports.  Luckily I took a color copy of his when we last sailed May 2018.  And I was able to download security pictures from ones that I have on my computer.  Did not know if it would work but it went in beautifully.  I am a happy camper.  Only thing I now do not have green checks for both of us are the things that have to be done closer to sailing date.

Thanks again to you both so much for all your help and tips.  This will be my first cruise since my husband of 42 years passed away 2 years ago and with all this app stuff, I was getting discouraged and not being excited like I usually am even though it is over 6 months away.  Now I am looking forward to it again. 

• Like 3

DavidsNana,  you seem to be doing very well with the app and from what I've read you are tech savy;  which is a plus.  Have fun with your new phone, have fun with the app, and you will love using your medallion on the ship.  Cheers

Hi DavidsNana,  Sorry to hear about your loss.  Welcome back to "New Age" cruising.  You are not alone.  Many, many, many frustrated passengers.

I was able to use an American Express card but glad you have something loaded.  You can always change the card once you are onboard.

As to starting a new thread: there are 14+ threads about the MedallionClass problems with literally THOUSANDS (Probably tens of thousands) of posts about various issues. Do you really think anyone is going to read all that when they have a specific question? This OP is spared a lot of my frustrations with the app bc he can't get it on his device. (I can get it to work correctly sporadically just not consistently)

@Capt Krunch(1) luggage tags are still on the Personalizer. (2) Call 844-525-0942 if you cannot access a smart phone and they'll get it done for you according to 

Edited by Ombud

Princess seems to be the only ones with this problem. I've checked in with Royal and MSC on line. With Royal, I also picked my arrival time and printed out our boarding passes. What Princess has done is overkill, and needless IMHO. They've md a mountain out of a molehill.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Celebrity uses an app just like the Princess app.  My friends said they had no issues with Celebrity's app

A good app can be done! I wish Princess would hire Celebrity's development team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

A good app can be done! I wish Princess would hire Celebrity's development team.

I suspect this is a Corporate endeavor ... early on, higher ups were thanking Jan Swartz for volunteering Princess for the rollout ... the intention, I believe, was for all Carnival fleet to be OM by now

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I suspect this is a Corporate endeavor ... early on, higher ups were thanking Jan Swartz for volunteering Princess for the rollout ... the intention, I believe, was for all Carnival fleet to be OM by now

However it was structured, we don't have a good result. You're probably right - it was a top level decision made by people with no direct knowledge of the actual implementation.

5 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

However it was structured, we don't have a good result. You're probably right - it was a top level decision made by people with no direct knowledge of the actual implementation.

Agreed ... not much good has come of this in some 4+ years ... one of my concerns deals with digital meltdown ... the Carnival system has been hit by hacks and ransomware three times in 10 months ... so, I question whether any attention is going into OM security ... the work continues, with little or no headway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Agreed ... not much good has come of this in some 4+ years ... one of my concerns deals with digital meltdown ... the Carnival system has been hit by hacks and ransomware three times in 10 months ... so, I question whether any attention is going into OM security ... the work continues, with little or no headway.

The way the app currently works (or not works) would confuse the most sophisticated hacker.

• Haha 5

On 7/17/2021 at 10:09 AM, Sea Hag said:

I hear what you're saying.  A person can only wish it would come true.  

On 7/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, AF-1 said:

DavidsNana,  you seem to be doing very well with the app and from what I've read you are tech savy;  which is a plus.  Have fun with your new phone, have fun with the app, and you will love using your medallion on the ship.  Cheers

Nope I would not call myself tech savy at all.  Getting lots of help from Steelers36 and Jadn13 and from other posts. This is my first smart device.  Thus far I have only had PCs, a very old flip phone and an Amazon Fire 7" (the $50 one!).  But I think I am doing well on the app and yes, I am finding it to be both fun and frustrating at the same time.  It is proving to be a good learning experience though.  I am really looking forward to using the Medallion on the ship.  I don't usually carry my phone around the ship but now days needing glasses, I have a small over the shoulder bag that I carry so will probably just put my new phone in there too.  We will see.  That being said, I do like to interact with the bartenders sometimes and so just might sit at the bar on occasion rather than ordering drinks via the app.  Also, can't imagine myself ordering merchandise via the app.  I like to browse.  Cheers to you too.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, AF-1 said: