Royal Up Question - Is Royal Suite Worth the money? Indy of the Seas

Wife and I are finally going on our Honeymoon - 2 years later...... Thanks to our favorite pandemic. Anyways, we are in a spacious balcony currently, but Royal Up was just offered for our August Cruise out of Galveston. I am bidding on a Junior Suite, Grand Suite 1 Bedroom, and an Owners Suite because the bids were reasonable. The Royal Suite is available at $800 per person starting (Max Bid $1,000), and it has some great amenities, but the upgrade would cost the same as what we paid for our original cruise fare. 

I figure for a honeymoon it might be worth it, but with the ship being at limited capacity, would it really be worth it? 

Would love everyone's input, and any experiences you may have had in a Royal Suite to sway my vote one way or another. 🙂

I had the royal suite on navigator of the seas. It was gorgeous. Treated like royalty. It was a once in a lifetime thing for me. Hindsight I wouldn't do it again. It was way too much way over the top. Fantastic but for me I'd go with a grand or owners suite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

You've been married for two years.  You won't be spending much time in your cabin.  😉

Lol - as long as I keep her out of the art Auction, I am still considering it a Victory. Thought a Jacuzzi tub or Hot Tub on the deck might help with that. 

Cheers!

I definitely recommend at least the GS.  The suites amenities include breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants (probably Chops) and that is such a nice upgrade.  With an OS you will get a dining table and chairs so you can have room service and eat comfortably.  I have never stayed in a Royal Suite so can't really comment on that.  I'm sure it would be lovely.  If all you are looking for is a bit more space, the JS will give you that but not much else (no access to the Suites Lounge with a JS).  I say go for the GS and OS.  Chances are the Royal Suite is already gone and since it's one-of-a-kind, the chances of getting it are remote.  Lots of GS and OS though.

• Like 1

You don’t book a Royal Suite because it’s “worth it.” You book the Royal Suite because (1) you want to stay there and (2) you can totally afford to stay there even without doing any cost benefit analysis. 

You wanna stay there? You’ve got the means? Go for it, and have a great cruise. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 1

We have our first RCC trip coming up in October. When deciding which room to book, we looked at the Royal Suite but ended up taking an Owners Suite instead. The layout of the room wasn't blowing us away for the extra costs associated with the room upgrade. The balcony was big, but it was bowling alley long and didn't look wide at all. So yeah, we could probably have 10 people standing there if we made 8 friends on our trip, but for us on that particular ship (Jewel of the Seas) it didn't seem worth the cost.

5 hours ago, ducati996spr said:

Would love everyone's input, and any experiences you may have had in a Royal Suite to sway my vote one way or another. 🙂

For just the two of you, personally I would vote against it. The only time I've done a Royal Suite was indeed a great experience, but we booked it because we were traveling with family members and wanted a nice & spacious "home base."  So if the upgrade was going to cost me as much as I paid in the first place, I would rather take another cruise instead! 😁

Well you also have to factor in any on board purchases you won’t need.  The drink package, unlimited dining and Voom are included with Star Class.  If you were planning on any of those, it might close the $ gap some.

21 minutes ago, poocher said:

Well you also have to factor in any on board purchases you won’t need.  The drink package, unlimited dining and Voom are included with Star Class.  If you were planning on any of those, it might close the $ gap some.

I think the OP is on Indy, so there is no Star Class there, unfortunately.

😪

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

GS and up will be your best bet.

Totally agree with this. Once you cross the “real” suite line (that is GS and above) it does not matter on non-Oasis class ships.  It’s just the room that changes. 

GO FOR IT (if you can afford it).  We did a Royal Suite for a special anniversary - of all the cruises we took - that one was most memorable and luxurious.  BUT, that trip spoiled us for future cruises.  Wish we could afford to have that level suite again.

RoyalUp is a bid for an upgrade. It is not a guaranteed upgrade. In all likelihood, you will not get the royal suite no matter how much you bid. The primary  chance is if whoever currently has it cancels at the last minute. 

if you have spare cash, go for it. But I wouldn’t think the royal suite would be a huge benefit over a GS for two traveling by themselves.