Wine & Soda still allowed to be carried on?

Banditswife

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

will try to remember, we do not cruise until Oct 2.  We still have the worry of whether they will be able to cross the US border from Canada.  Things are looking better though.  They just got their final vaccine dose last week, while we have had ours since April.

I honestly don’t think there will be an issue for them to cross the border by then.  In all likelihood, it will open up in August or September to FULLY vaccinated.

Canada is doing well now.  We have surpassed the % of population in the U.S. that is fully vaccinated.  Once we have achieved herd immunity (75-80% fully vaccinated) I think you will see things open a lot more.

• Like 2

I see it says plastic bottles of water are not allowed.  Does that mean I can't bring an empty plastic water bottle aboard, refill it on the ship in the evening, and then take it off the ship the next day at the next port?  And of course repeat this until the bottle becomes so scummy I don't want to drink from it, in which case I buy another full bottle of water ashore and start using that.

I can't believe this would be prohibited.  What are people going to do to stay hydrated while walking around at a hot port.  I refuse to buy water in plastic bottles and then immediately throw them out.  That is a rip off since they cost much more than they should, in addition to being bad for the environment.

1 minute ago, Torquer said:

I see it says plastic bottles of water are not allowed.  Does that mean I can't bring an empty plastic water bottle aboard, refill it on the ship in the evening, and then take it off the ship the next day at the next port?  And of course repeat this until the bottle becomes so scummy I don't want to drink from it, in which case I buy another full bottle of water ashore and start using that.

I can't believe this would be prohibited.  What are people going to do to stay hydrated while walking around at a hot port.  I refuse to buy water in plastic bottles and then immediately throw them out.  That is a rip off since they cost much more than they should, in addition to being bad for the environment.

I think that is exactly what it means.  You will probably be told to dump the bottle every time.  

There are lots of permanent types of containers you can buy that are safe to re-use.  Honestly, it’s not safe to re-use the plastic bottles the water comes in over and over.

I’d buy one of those and you’ll be all set or even buy one of the ones in HAL’s gift shop if you want a souvenir.

Kazu, most refillable water bottles that you buy for that purpose are plastic.  So I presume those would be prohibited too.  Yes there are metal ones, but those you can't see into it to know when they need a thorough cleaning, so I claim they are less safe then reusing one you get for "free" when you buy the water.

5 minutes ago, Torquer said:

most refillable water bottles that you buy for that purpose are plastic.

I believe the purpose of this rule is to reduce the amount of  "disposable or one use" plastics they have onboard.

1 minute ago, Torquer said:

Kazu, most refillable water bottles that you buy for that purpose are plastic.  So I presume those would be prohibited too.  Yes there are metal ones, but those you can't see into it to know when they need a thorough cleaning, so I claim they are less safe then reusing one you get for "free" when you buy the water.

I suspect the refillable plastic water bottles will be allowed since they are not going to be thrown out.  I think the crew know the difference.

You could either email HAL to ask for elaboration, or do a chat with them you can print off/save.  I’d be tempted to wait a month or two until sailing is well underway. (Unless you are cruising sooner) and also watch for reports here.  I’m sure we will hear some from people as sailing picks up.

As to the disposable water bottles - here’s just one of many articles of the dangers of re-using them - https://www.onegreenbottle.com/this-is-why-you-should-never-reuse-single-use-bottles/

la crema 2019 chardonnay costs $13.50 a bottle at the local wine shop. Add the $20 to that and it totals $33.50.....The same bottle on the ship if they had it, would be over $80....This policy is all about the money. Last sailing on hal coming up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, retired dude said:

la crema 2019 chardonnay costs $13.50 a bottle at the local wine shop. Add the $20 to that and it totals $33.50.....The same bottle on the ship if they had it, would be over $80....This policy is all about the money. Last sailing on hal coming up.

You can still bring some bottles on board and pay corkage.  And there are wine packages.

Unless you are going to sail on a luxury or premier cruise line at a much higher price point, you are going to find the same rules if not more limited on other cruise lines.  

Don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy your cruise 🙂 

rcl and celebrity still allow 2 bottles per cabin without corkage and most intelligent folks know how to beat that....For those of us that are not financial wizards we have to cruise in a way that does not break the bank. It has worked for 35 prior cruises and i will continue to book with cruise lines that appreciate their clients. i have a  neighbor that does world cruises with hal and it is amazing what little the line does to thank them for their patronage..... 

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

rcl and celebrity still allow 2 bottles per cabin without corkage and most intelligent folks know how to beat that... 

Really?  I guess I am stupid.  And, just how do you beat that without smuggling?  That I am not interested in nor will do.

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

This is my concern too.  I drink a lot of water and I buy a lot on board.  That said, I will reuse some water bottles temporarily in port.  I absolutely wash them with soap and water daily because I’ve been touching them with dirty hands. I have zero interest in carrying around a heavy reusable water bottle in my luggage.  I have enough to carry.  It would be another issue if hal had a stellar environmental history, which it doesn’t.  You best bet this comes down to revenue more than concern for the environment.

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

rcl and celebrity still allow 2 bottles per cabin without corkage

Really?  Then why does Celebrity's FAQ give the following answer?

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom.

• Haha 1

I might be totally wrong, but I believe that plastic bottles on embarkation (and coming back from a port) are to prevent smuggling of alcohol? Maybe? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by dobiemom

19 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I might be totally wrong, but I believe that plastic bottles on embarkation (and coming back from a port) are to prevent smuggling of alcohol? Maybe? 🤷‍♀️

Possibly.  I can’t imagine that hal would have a lot of smugglers but the few ruin it for the many.  Now if it was carnival I would believe it and yes I have sailed on carnival.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Torquer said:

Plastic bottles of air should be fine.  Only plastic bottles of water are prohibited.   You should also be able to bring an empty hydration pack.

I was on the 1st sailing, I had no problem with an empty plastic sports water bottle and I also had 1 bottle of wine that went through security without paying a corkage fee.

The cruise contract I agreed to had the wording of allowing two bottles of wine per state room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, dobiemom said:

I've seen that..

On 7/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

This is my concern too.  I drink a lot of water and I buy a lot on board.  That said, I will reuse some water bottles temporarily in port.  I absolutely wash them with soap and water daily because I’ve been touching them with dirty hands. I have zero interest in carrying around a heavy reusable water bottle in my luggage.  I have enough to carry.  It would be another issue if hal had a stellar environmental history, which it doesn’t.  You best bet this comes down to revenue more than concern for the environment.

Most interesting points!  I am not happy with the idea of a heavy stainless steel bottle.  Filled with water = even heavier.  Anyone use an aluminum reusable bottle?  Does this exist? I believe you can buy water in aluminum bottles but wouldn't those be considered reusable?  Obviously HAL doesn't want any recycling left on the ship to add to the already huge pile they off-load at a cost, but I could use some much more specific guidance form HAL: tell me what I can bring, that's enough to know.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Most interesting points!  I am not happy with the idea of a heavy stainless steel bottle.  Filled with water = even heavier.  Anyone use an aluminum reusable bottle?  Does this exist? I believe you can buy water in aluminum bottles but wouldn't those be considered reusable?  Obviously HAL doesn't want any recycling left on the ship to add to the already huge pile they off-load at a cost, but I could use some much more specific guidance form HAL: tell me what I can bring, that's enough to know.

Another concern for me is the type of lid on it.  This is going to be really hard to explain but I don’t want a water bottle with a bendable “spout” if that makes sense.  That “spout” grosses me out because I don’t know how you’d ever get that clean, even in a dishwasher.  I’d rather have a container that I could drink from the side of like a glass if this makes any sense.  I’m not looking for comments on how clean or dirty the “spout” is.   That’s my hang up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

FWIW The Environmental Officer of the Nieuw Statendam told my Behind the Scenes Tour that nearly all recyclables are in fact sold to waiting contractors.  All of the income from those sales go directly to the Crew Fund.  He added that when divided among the crew, "The crew will have a very happy holiday season."

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

FWIW The Environmental Officer of the Nieuw Statendam told my Behind the Scenes Tour that nearly all recyclables are in fact sold to waiting contractors.  All of the income from those sales go directly to the Crew Fund.  He added that when divided among the crew, "The crew will have a very happy holiday season."

Interesting information.  I’m hoping the restrictions on water bottles won’t take away from that.  They certainly deserve it.

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Interesting information.  I’m hoping the restrictions on water bottles won’t take away from that.  They certainly deserve it.

Everything that is not available for recycling impacts the Crew Fund.  That includes all of the art gallery brochures we used to receive several times on each cruise. 

Adding a small donation to the Crew Fund will be a nice gesture by those who realize little changes have a rippling effect on everyone.

• Like 1