Wine & Soda still allowed to be carried on?

Banditswife

On 7/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, dobiemom said:

I might be totally wrong, but I believe that plastic bottles on embarkation (and coming back from a port) are to prevent smuggling of alcohol? Maybe? 🤷‍♀️

All they need to do is shake the “water” bottle to tell. If it’s alcohol, it will form little bubbles.

When I was returning to the ship once I had an unfinished bottle of water with me. Security asked what it was, then shook it, and handed it back. I asked in this forum later, and several people did a “shake test”.

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

All they need to do is shake the “water” bottle to tell. If it’s alcohol, it will form little bubbles.

When I was returning to the ship once I had an unfinished bottle of water with me. Security asked what it was, then shook it, and handed it back. I asked in this forum later, and several people did a “shake test”.

Wow!  I didn’t know that!  Guess you can tell I’m not a smuggler 😆 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter (finally) visited me recently. While she was here she wanted a new water bottle - (I think she like to go shopping with me as i pull out my Credit Card faster than she does). Anyway - we went to REI - I found they had like 4 major types of water bottles, each with several manufacturers nipple/closure, and each of those with like 3 sizes. Just have to now figure out which type, nipple/closure style, insulation (or not), mouth size, and volume. then there is the type of carry harness, strap, tether. Then hope that DW (who is picky about water stuff) will accept it.  It is like a whole day of trade study for a water bottle. 

But if you are looking for a water bottle - they have a range you can look at - for hours of fun and shopping (IF you like that sort of fun).

2 hours ago, caviargal said:

I've ordered my wine from a store in Seattle and will happily pay the corkage to drink what I prefer.

Hi caviargal, haven't seen you around in ages!

Would you mind sharing what wine store in Seattle you ordered from?  I'm departing on a Celebrity cruise out of Seattle next week.

I know conversations change from agent to agent, but HAL told me this morning we can not bring glass water bottles onboard. They sell large glass bottles of water and canned water to your stateroom. I do not mind the canned water, some do.

Anyway, I called because we had 6 dining reservations and this morning there were only 3. Get this, the HAL rep said it was due to our "free 3 dinners"! What? I booked and paid for all 6 reservations! And what does that have to do with anything? All is fixed for now. We decided we'd wait to get our 3 free on board. 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Anyway, I called because we had 6 dining reservations and this morning there were only 3. Get this, the HAL rep said it was due to our "free 3 dinners"! What? I booked and paid for all 6 reservations! And what does that have to do with anything? All is fixed for now. We decided we'd wait to get our 3 free on board. 

It must be the New Math!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know conversations change from agent to agent, but HAL told me this morning we can not bring glass water bottles onboard. They sell large glass bottles of water and canned water to your stateroom. I do not mind the canned water, some do.

You really woke me up here with this dining news.  Not good.

I checked our 10-day holiday cruise because that's the first one we have booked as "have it all."  We have four specialty restaurants booked.  So far those reservations still show on our itinerary.  We paid in full for all four, and if they mess with it, we probably will just stay home.  

For Alaska, we just booked the lowest price way and we are in specialty restaurants every single night.  Those reservations are intact.  I wonder if they wouldn't have allowed us to do that if we'd booked "have it all."

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.  For us it's important.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Would you mind sharing what wine store in Seattle you ordered from?  I'm departing on a Celebrity cruise out of Seattle next week.

If your Celebrity cruise is leaving from pier 91, Total Wine & More 1550 W. Armory Way is adjacent to the closest parking lot for that terminal. However, if you're taking a shuttle from a hotel or the airport, it would be a bit of a detour from the shortest route to the terminal.

6 minutes ago, twodjs said:

If your Celebrity cruise is leaving from pier 91, Total Wine & More 1550 W. Armory Way is adjacent to the closest parking lot for that terminal. However, if you're taking a shuttle from a hotel or the airport, it would be a bit of a detour from the shortest route to the terminal.

We always have our Uber driver make a stop at Seattle Wine Outlet, 946 Elliott Avenue West

23 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Our cruise is scheduled to depart from Pier 66, and the hotel I selected is very close by.  I'll have to check my old friend Google.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You used to be able to bring aboard as much water as you can carry – no longer.  Here is the latest policy

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

For voyage that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older. For voyages which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older, and for voyages which depart from and return to Japan, this policy applies to guests 20 years and older.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.    

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered.  Holland America Line shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any luggage lock removal, alcoholic/nonalcoholic items, or other prohibited items removed and discarded in violation of the policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage. Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee.  Purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for use in conjunction with medical device(s) are allowed in checked luggage and must be packed with the device(s). Distilled/purified water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for the reconstitution of infant formula is allowed in checked luggage for staterooms with infant bookings. Limitations apply. Allowances are subject to change without notice and remain subject to situational assessments by both security and the vessel.

An 18% Service Charge is automatically applied to all Beverage Purchases, Bar Retail Items, Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges and all For Purchase A La Carte Menu Items. Local Sales Taxes Applied where required.

This cruise line just went from the Hampton Inn price level to a  Waldorf  price level across the board .  Carnival Corp (stock symbol CCL) must be able to  finance the highest debt in their history & you can bet that prices will rise to meet & exceed payments on that huge debt load  .My only question is when will   there be increased consumer price resistance to  these  pricing increases . Salaries are definitely not keeping pace with inflated  prices in so many areas of living , Soon that stimulus money will run out  that citizens are using to defray these higher costs of food ,gas ie 

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

This cruise line just went from the Hampton Inn price level to a  Waldorf  price level across the board .  Carnival Corp (stock symbol CCL) must be able to  finance the highest debt in their history & you can bet that prices will rise to meet & exceed payments on that huge debt load  .My only question is when will   there be increased consumer price resistance to  these  pricing increases . Salaries are definitely not keeping pace with inflated  prices in so many areas of living , Soon that stimulus money will run out  that citizens are using to defray these higher costs of food ,gas ie 

Perhaps it just may pay to start checking out costs on the luxury lines that include every thing in their price points ?

10 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

You used to be able to bring aboard as much water as you can carry – no longer.  Here is the latest policy

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less).

There is a difference between what the Know Before you Go - page and the HAL cruise "Contract" - at least for the contract for the forthcoming alaskan cruise...

In section 5 of the Contract it states...

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.
  • A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

So I believe the Contract rules - and people on cruises recently completed did not have to pay corkage fess for their single bottles of wine. I do not drink wine - so nota not an issue with me, but I do like a good Root Beer (Which they do not have on-board) and DW loves her bottled water (gonna try to bring on some Boxed water.)

I suspect the KBYG is the future - but as of now - the contract rules...I think

Just now, AncientWanderer said:

I think they've gone up too --just the same.  Hard to find any travel bargains right now!  ☹️

imo you will find that  the travel  industry unfortunately is getting hit with the 2nd round  of this  pandemic  with the Delta Variant which even effects children now .After 1 !/2  years of being ultra careful not to get infected  ,the travel industry  ,airlines ,hotels ,cruises Airbnb ,car rentals  ie ,all will be hurting once again & if this keeps up will file for bankruptcy protection  .People are scared & the prices of every thing keep rising ,.This imo is the perfect storm 

The other shoe that is dropping is the quality of food  ie offered must be getting slammed due to supply chain disruptions   .We learned  from a post on this HASL board that the HAL  dining room menu has  much less options 

We pushed our cruises off until Nov & Dec 2022 in hopes of relief from this pandemic .I am still very skeptical ,at this time; because ,like the yearly flu  ,it keeps raising its ugly head & we must take boosters to stay healthy  or get violently ill .To us these times are not pleasant & our prayers go out to god to heal our land 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi caviargal, haven't seen you around in ages!

I have been sticking to river cruises and land trips these days.  Hope you are well!

I am using Champions - very helpful on the phone - and they are delivering free of charge to our hotel.

8515 ***** Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103
Monday - Saturday
11:00 am - 7:00pm
Sunday - CLOSED

Call us at (206) 284-8306

If you are bringing wine aboard at embarkation, can they be in your checked luggage ? We are flying into Seattle the morning of our cruise and would like to bring a couple of special wine bottles. We have booked transfers from the airport to the pier with HAL. 

34 minutes ago, madera1 said:

If you are bringing wine aboard at embarkation, can they be in your checked luggage ? We are flying into Seattle the morning of our cruise and would like to bring a couple of special wine bottles. We have booked transfers from the airport to the pier with HAL. 

No.  Beverages must be in carry-on luggage.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

No.  Beverages must be in carry-on luggage.

So we should be able to retrieve our checked bags from the carousel at the airport, remove wine and place in a carry on before meeting our HAL transfer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, madera1 said:

So we should be able to retrieve our checked bags from the carousel at the airport, remove wine and place in a carry on before meeting our HAL transfer.

Exactly.  I bring a collapsible duffel bag that I pack with beverages to be carried on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madera1 said:

I use a wine sleeve (from Total Wine) --- it's a wine bottle shaped bubble wrap thing with tape on the bottom end --- both in my checked luggage & my carry-on.