This why cruise ships should not allow any unvaccinated adult onboard any ship.

terrydtx

1 minute ago, seabeew said:

The popular belief is that she was on the second Freedom cruise, which was around June 22.

She doesn’t like masks though. In her onboard video, she says they made a mask. She screamed that she had been wearing the mask for five minutes and already couldn’t breathe because she had asthma. She was screaming on the video for at least ten minutes and never came up for air.

I can’t remember if it was on the original video or elsewhere, but she said she would never get vaccinated.

She knew as one of the unvaccinated, she would be required to wear a mask on the cruise at all times, except in her cabin and while eating or drinking. If she really has asthma, which is a high risk Covid factor, she should have been vaccinated. I have a friend who claims getting vaccinated is against his religious beliefs, but I know for a fact he never has gone to any church in the years I have known him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I really thought that this woman was unhinged and unreasonable... but then on another thread someone posted this link (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/returning-cruise-voyages.html). This is aimed at consumers vs the cruise lines. One area caught my attention:

"If you recently recovered from COVID-19:

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you are symptomatic. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel."

Now please tell me if I am missing something. But early in the video...before she completely loses it... she notes that she had have covid within the last 3 months.. and that she has a high level of antibodies and the tests to prove it.  Now... the CDC guidelines for cruising makes some reference to passengers who can document that they have recovered... but unlike the above... I could not find anything that said that they should or should not test these people unless symptomatic. It looks to me like there is a hole in the protocols. If the CDC knows that people can test positive for months after recovering... shouldn't this be addressed someplace in the guidance for cruise ships... perhaps I am missing it...so I invite anyone interested to see if you can reconcile  the travelers guidance and cruiseline guidance for those who have recovered. I am inserting the link to the cruiseline guidance (by the way updated Jul 13) guidance https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Now simply getting a vaccine would have avoided all these issues...but I have seen prominent physicians advising against getting two doses of vaccine...   But I can see how someone who has read the travelers guidance being upset at getting a positive test.... Now she did not seem aware of this document... but sounds like a positive result is to be expected or at least not unexpected... 

It seems to me that the guidance for cruise lines and therefore the cruiseline guidance should state something about those who have had Covid... either straight up.. we do not recommend you travel at this time because you will likely fail testing or have a plan for when to test and not to test unvaccinated but recent covid recovered.  Again... am I missing something???

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Watching the video was like driving past a terrible car accident...you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't look away......

Bottle-necking???

bon voyage

• Like 2

This story is a bit more complicated as it was reported by several sources that she was given a wristband from Royal Caribbean to show she was vaccinated when she wasn't. It is not completely know if this was Royal's error but sounds like it could be a possibility. The second day security tracked her down on the ship by the pool deck and tested her since all un-vaccinated were supposed to be tested at the terminal prior to boarding...and she tested positive. Royal did pay for all costs of private jet to get her and her friend home....that couldn't be cheap!

With all that said I totally agree....Royal should have gone the direction of Celebrity and opened it's own can of worms allowing unvaccinated passengers.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

She knew as one of the unvaccinated, she would be required to wear a mask on the cruise at all times, except in her cabin and while eating or drinking. If she really has asthma, which is a high risk Covid factor, she should have been vaccinated. I have a friend who claims getting vaccinated is against his religious beliefs, but I know for a fact he never has gone to any church in the years I have known him. 

t - now, now just because he has not been to any Church in all those years does not necessarily mean he is not religious and has a religion which we have no knowledge of... which is recognizable or recognized. LOL

It could be "The Church of What Is Happening Now..."

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

This story is a bit more complicated as it was reported by several sources that she was given a wristband from Royal Caribbean to show she was vaccinated when she wasn't. It is not completely know if this was Royal's error but sounds like it could be a possibility. The second day security tracked her down on the ship by the pool deck and tested her since all vaccinated were supposed to be tested at the terminal prior to boarding...and she tested positive. Royal did pay for all costs of private jet to get her and her friend home....that could be cheap!

With all that said I totally agree....Royal should have gone the direction of Celebrity and opened it's own can of worms allowing unvaccinated passengers.

I agree... this is complicated... her video does not help her case... vaccinated or unvaccinated..having a mask on indoors is part of the current protocol on Freedom...so why was she upset about that? 

18 minutes ago, kearney said:

I really thought that this woman was unhinged and unreasonable... but then on another thread someone posted this link (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/returning-cruise-voyages.html). This is aimed at consumers vs the cruise lines. One area caught my attention:

"If you recently recovered from COVID-19:

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you are symptomatic. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel."

Now please tell me if I am missing something. But early in the video...before she completely loses it... she notes that she had have covid within the last 3 months.. and that she has a high level of antibodies and the tests to prove it.  Now... the CDC guidelines for cruising makes some reference to passengers who can document that they have recovered... but unlike the above... I could not find anything that said that they should or should not test these people unless symptomatic. It looks to me like there is a hole in the protocols. If the CDC knows that people can test positive for months after recovering... shouldn't this be addressed someplace in the guidance for cruise ships... perhaps I am missing it...so I invite anyone interested to see if you can reconcile  the travelers guidance and cruiseline guidance for those who have recovered. I am inserting the link to the cruiseline guidance (by the way updated Jul 13) guidance https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Now simply getting a vaccine would have avoided all these issues...but I have seen prominent physicians advising against getting two doses of vaccine...   But I can see how someone who has read the travelers guidance being upset at getting a positive test.... Now she did not seem aware of this document... but sounds like a positive result is to be expected or at least not unexpected... 

It seems to me that the guidance for cruise lines and therefore the cruiseline guidance should state something about those who have had Covid... either straight up.. we do not recommend you travel at this time because you will likely fail testing or have a plan for when to test and not to test unvaccinated but recent covid recovered.  Again... am I missing something???

I saw something about this on the Royal Caribbean website months ago. I’ll see if I can find it. 

In the meantime, the website said if you have had covid within 90 (?) days to have a physician write a letter documenting your diagnosis and full recovery from covid. 

• Thanks 1

I saw something about this on the Royal Caribbean website months ago. I’ll see if I can find it. 

In the meantime, the website said if you have had covid within 90 (?) days to have a physician write a letter documenting your diagnosis and full recovery from covid. 

If I recall, she said something about having test results from her doctor...  I interpreted that as that she had discussions with her physician... whether she took the next step of having a letter is unclear... but I think having a covid recovered passenger needs its own procedure ... some 100M have had covid .. some percentage within the 90 day window. Just think they need to address this or have more situations

• Like 1

At some point it no longer matters if she tested positive for the virus or if she had had Covid or was full of antibodies. She was violating the passenger code of conduct, with abusive language toward staff and uncooperative behavior. Regardless of her health issues or lack of, she deserved being removed from the ship.

Edited by Alakegirl
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, seabeew said:

How could this have been on the Royal Caribbean website "months ago" when they weren't sailing?

• Like 1

Cruise Line did the right thing; does she think she's a prima donna?  No way; she's just someone with an attitude, who could have ruined the entire cruise for everyone by not being vaccinated.  Glad for the rest of the cruisers on board, that she got kicked off.  And don't give us the stories that the tests were wrong; you were positive! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

How could this have been on the Royal Caribbean website "months ago" when they weren't sailing?

I booked the Adventure out of Nassau at the end of April. It was part of their protocols for boarding. 

57 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Bottle-necking???

bon voyage

In traffic mecca ATL we call it rubber necking.  Turning all the way around going the opposite way just to watch the scene as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The Passenger Code of Conduct covers “attitude” and behavior like that.  She would have been kicked of the ship for acting out the way she did in pre-pandemic times and today.

Keep in mind that she was acting like this BECAUSE she was being kicked off.  Bad as it was....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked the Adventure out of Nassau at the end of April. It was part of their protocols for boarding. 

Did they say that if you had Covid before that they would not test you? or that they would? I did not see that in the protocols.. current ones don't mention recovered covid passengers. 

Just now, seabeew said:

LOL. I guess we view "months ago" a little bit differently.

In any event, according to this article, she was kicked off the Freedom of the Seas on July 7, just over a week ago:

https://nypost.com/2021/07/14/nyc-woman-booted-from-royal-caribbean-cruise-after-testing-positive-for-covid/

5 minutes ago, marieps said:

In traffic mecca ATL we call it rubber necking.  Turning all the way around going the opposite way just to watch the scene as long as possible.

Ohhh, how I remember those days of yore past....

bon voyage

30 minutes ago, kearney said:

If I recall, she said something about having test results from her doctor...  I interpreted that as that she had discussions with her physician... whether she took the next step of having a letter is unclear... but I think having a covid recovered passenger needs its own procedure ... some 100M have had covid .. some percentage within the 90 day window. Just think they need to address this or have more situations

This was information that was included in an email Royal Caribbean sent me before my Adventure cruise. They periodically sent emails to update their policies. 

I agree they could have emphasized it more. I can only speak for myself but I was hyper vigilant about anything related to successfully boarding my ship.F2CE9665-3287-4AF9-AE0E-4A00B7AA4553.thumb.png.7bf723fcc3780e67547f4ba3161fa694.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, seabeew said:

This was information that was included in an email Royal Caribbean sent me before my Adventure cruise. They periodically sent emails to update their policies. 

I agree they could have emphasized it more. I can only speak for myself but I was hyper vigilant about anything related to successfully boarding my ship.F2CE9665-3287-4AF9-AE0E-4A00B7AA4553.thumb.png.7bf723fcc3780e67547f4ba3161fa694.png

Thanks... so... for the sake of discussion.. let's say she had the documentation and let's say they knew she was unvaccinated... what is the procedure for testing... looks like the CDC warns against this because of what I will call a false positive. I wonder if they have considered this in developing their procedures... it seems the CDC does not note this in the guidance for cruise lines.... this is why I think there is a hole in the procedures... beginning with the CDC not incorporating this infor in the cruise ship guidance... if it is there and I missed it... let me know..but I could only find limited references to recovered Covid passengers. This really is a complicated issue for everyone involved.