Ovation 9/3 Sailing. Port times and set sail times changed. Not happy about this!

We had an excursions booked in Juneau and Skagway and I just received an email that the port times are being changed so

apparently, we cannot do either of the booked excursions. I am so disappointed and angry right now.

Email states due to CDC regulations, they are removing some time from the ports and set sail. We now set sail at 6PM instead of 4 PM due to it taking longer to get people on board.

I hope they release different excursions to replace the current ones that are now not possible.....

Everything is so darn fluid right now that we just have to be fluid too. 

We are waiting for our sailing to change the itinerary around for a third time.  We will be disappointed too (again) but its just the way it is.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, whyrlygig said:

Everything is so darn fluid right now that we just have to be fluid too. 

We are waiting for our sailing to change the itinerary around for a third time.  We will be disappointed too (again) but its just the way it is.  

Ditto! At this time most changes are to be expected. I think we all know this, don't we? No sense in becoming unraveled. If one can't handle that, they should book further out. JMHO. 🙂

I definitely understand that this is a fluid situation. I don't mind that the set sail time has changed. I do mind that they sold excursions and are now taking time away from ports but yet adding time in other ports. That doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Im just hoping they transfer our excursions to something similiar in the time frames we now have in those ports.

This is for my husband's 50th birthday, otherwise it wouldnt matter, as much. We already gave up the land tour in Canada..

52 minutes ago, suamom said:

We had an excursions booked in Juneau and Skagway and I just received an email that the port times are being changed so

apparently, we cannot do either of the booked excursions. I am so disappointed and angry right now.

Email states due to CDC regulations, they are removing some time from the ports and set sail. We now set sail at 6PM instead of 4 PM due to it taking longer to get people on board.

I hope they release different excursions to replace the current ones that are now not possible.....

We are on the same sailing, but didn’t get an e-mail. Although.... we haven’t booked excursions yet. Are you able to take a pic of your letter?  Or post what the new port times are?

I'm on one of the earlier Ovation sailings...    the letter I got says that they will be rescheduling any shore excursions you booked with them, so if you have RCCL excursions you should be fine.

"Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked impacted by this change. In the next few days, your updated tour information will be e-mailed to you. "

10 minutes ago, discru said:

We are on the same sailing, but didn’t get an e-mail. Although.... we haven’t booked excursions yet. Are you able to take a pic of your letter?  Or post what the new port times are?

Dear Guest,

We're looking forward to welcoming you onboard Ovation of the Seas for our cruise. As we countdown to your sailing, we have an itinerary change to share with you.

As part of the guidance received from the CDC, we've implemented new boarding protocols and we'll need some extra time for check-in. As a result, we'll now depart from Seattle, Washington at 6:00 PM, instead of 4:00 PM, and we've adjusted our time in Juneau and Skagway, Alaska. Separately, to enhance your experience, we've added extra time in Sitka, Alaska, giving you extra time to explore this beautiful destination. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise with us, and we're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. However, we know you'll have an excellent time. Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Seattle, Washington

6:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Alaska Inside Passage

Sun

Juneau, Alaska

2:00 PM

9:00 PM

Mon

Skagway, Alaska

7:00 AM

6:00 PM

Tue

Sitka, Alaska

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Wed

Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

5:00 AM

10:00 AM

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Seattle, Washington

6:00 AM

Get ready to experience Alaska - the last frontier! In Juneau, you'll be instantly greeted by majestic views and rich culture around every corner. With its snowcapped mountains, misty rainforests, massive glaciers and bounty of wildlife, Alaska's remote state capital is the perfect place to dive into nature. Then in Skagway, take an old-time streetcar ride along bustling Broadway Street to see well-preserved buildings, or check out the engraved walrus tusks at the Corrington Museum. If outdoor adventure is more your thing, there are plenty of ways to amp up the adrenaline, from sledding with Alaskan Huskies on Laughton Glacier to rafting Lynn Canal, the longest fjord in North America. After that, we'll head to Sitka, where you can venture into the National Historical Park to trace the town's early beginnings and native heritage. See indigenous artifacts, watch a documentary film, and walk the mile-long Totem Trail. Whatever you decide to do, these destinations have endless opportunities for any adventure seeker!

As a reminder, we kindly ask that you arrive to the port during your pre-selected check-in window. This is imperative to ensure minimal wait time and less crowds during the boarding process.

Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked impacted by this change. In the next few days, your updated tour information will be e-mailed to you. If you haven't booked your shore excursions yet, be sure to check out our Cruise Planner for your options to discover adventure in these exciting destinations.

Thanks for your understanding. We can't wait to welcome you onboard Ovation of the Seas!

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP | Guest Experience

Royal Caribbean International

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suamom said:

Im just hoping they transfer our excursions to something similiar in the time frames we now have in those ports.

Very sorry to hear this has upset your travel plans.  Everyone knows the situation is fluid at the moment and open to changes but most people book Alaska for the ports / excursions so I completely understand your disappointment.

Hopefully they will reschedule your excursions at suitable times and you will still be able to do them.

Best of luck with it and hope you have an enjoyable cruise!

We booked Ovation to Alaska on aug 20 a few days ago. I am fully aware that anything, and I mean anything can change, with cruising just restarting. And I’m fine with this because I can’t control this. Right now, everyone needs to be extremely patient and flexible. 
I am very happy to be sailing now to Alaska, especially at reduced capacity.  
My glass is much more than half full right now…

I'm on the August 13, 2021 Ovation of the Seas cruise to Alaska. I didn't receive that e-mail (yet) for our cruise, but indeed when I log in to my account and look at the times in My Calendar, they've been updated just as described above. But none of the Shore Excursions have been updated! So now we're arriving in Juneau at 2:00 p.m. where we have a 12:30 p.m. tour scheduled. D'oh!

I tried to calculate if the Ovation could make up those two hours from 6pm Friday to docking on Sunday in Juneau, or if RCCL was being like the airlines and saving money on fuel rather than delivering the best possible speed:

The Ovation reportedly has a maximum speed of 22 knots (~25 mph) and the distance is 879 nautical miles (according to Dept. of Commerce). So, in theory, if the ship could maintain an average speed of 21 knots, it could reach Juneau by noon on Sunday (in 42 hours).

But that's really tight, and I suspect currents, wind, port speed limits & docking time, waiting for the Alaska marine pilot to board, differences between the actual route and that quoted 879nm distance, etc. all factor in to make arriving by noon very unlikely. Oh, well 😞 At least we know RCCL is likely trying its best to get us there as fast as it can!

This is a real bummer, though, because my family was really looking forward to taking the amazing Tracy Arm Fjord And Glacier Explorer shore excursion, which is a 7-hour tour that was to start at 12:30pm in Juneau. With the ship arriving at 2pm and leaving at 9:00pm, I'm expecting that tour will be cancelled. And of course, all the ones I might have considered substituting it with are now all sold out or don't have enough spaces left on them 😥

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReubenR said:

I'm on the August 13, 2021 Ovation of the Seas cruise to Alaska. I didn't receive that e-mail (yet) for our cruise, but indeed when I log in to my account and look at the times in My Calendar, they've been updated just as described above. But none of the Shore Excursions have been updated! So now we're arriving in Juneau at 2:00 p.m. where we have a 12:30 p.m. tour scheduled. D'oh!

They did say that it would take them a few days to update the excursion times for the new port times...    Keep an eye on it, I'll bet you'll see new times on your calendar by the end of next week.

3 hours ago, ReubenR said:

I tried to calculate if the Ovation could make up those two hours from 6pm Friday to docking on Sunday in Juneau, or if RCCL was being like the airlines and saving money on fuel rather than delivering the best possible speed:

The Ovation reportedly has a maximum speed of 22 knots (~25 mph) and the distance is 879 nautical miles (according to Dept. of Commerce). So, in theory, if the ship could maintain an average speed of 21 knots, it could reach Juneau by noon on Sunday (in 42 hours).

But that's really tight, and I suspect currents, wind, port speed limits & docking time, waiting for the Alaska marine pilot to board, differences between the actual route and that quoted 879nm distance, etc. all factor in to make arriving by noon very unlikely. Oh, well 😞 At least we know RCCL is likely trying its best to get us there as fast as it can!

This is a real bummer, though, because my family was really looking forward to taking the amazing Tracy Arm Fjord And Glacier Explorer shore excursion, which is a 7-hour tour that was to start at 12:30pm in Juneau. With the ship arriving at 2pm and leaving at 9:00pm, I'm expecting that tour will be cancelled. And of course, all the ones I might have considered substituting it with are now all sold out or don't have enough spaces left on them 😥

Welcome to cruise critic.  

16 hours ago, suamom said:

I definitely understand that this is a fluid situation. I don't mind that the set sail time has changed. I do mind that they sold excursions and are now taking time away from ports but yet adding time in other ports. That doesnt make any sense to me at all.

This is for my husband's 50th birthday, otherwise it wouldnt matter, as much. We already gave up the land tour in Canada..

Don't feel alone...our B2B Seward to Vancouver on Radiance this last August was to celebrate my DHs 70th birthday.  Obviously our cruise was cancelled.  

We went to Alaska anyway, renting a house in Homer to replace those two weeks.  

At least you are still cruising!  

13 hours ago, ReubenR said:

They never plan based on cruising an average speed being the maximum speed. 

Try this at home.  If the speed limit on the interstate is 65 mph does that mean your average speed between your origination and destination will be 65 mph?  Probably not, unless you spend your time on the interstate driving well over the speed limit.

Plus in Alaska they have to add buffer time in case marine life is spotted near the ship.  For example if a whale is spotted regulations require they reduce speed to a crawl until they are clear of any marine life.   This isn't optional.  

The times they use between Seattle and Juneau has be proven over countless voyages.  It's a well traveled route for them.  They know what they are doing.  

• Like 1

Since the departure time from Seattle was delayed it backed up the rest of the schedule.

It may take a few days but Royal will change the time of their shorex to work with the new schedule.  Anyone that may have something book direct with a local company should contact them.  They will adjust to the ship schedule and may already be doing that.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

The times they use between Seattle and Juneau has be proven over countless voyages.  It's a well traveled route for them.  They know what they are doing.  

Or they're being greedy like the airlines and saving fuel costs at the expense of travel time. In this day and age, it's entirely reasonable to be cynical  🙂

19 hours ago, elleluv said:

They did say that it would take them a few days to update the excursion times for the new port times...    Keep an eye on it, I'll bet you'll see new times on your calendar by the end of next week.

Don't count on it:

1 minute ago, sherylc said:

So I heard back from the company who runs the Tracy Fjord Glacier tour that I was so excited to do in Juneau (at 12:30 to 7 pm!!!). While it's not official, the actual tour company thought it would likely be cancelled.  This is in addition to the Skagway tour in the afternoon (Bear excursion) that I know will be cancelled since the ferry only runs in the mornings -- but RCCL hasn't figured that out yet. 

With all of these disappointments and so little time now in the two major ports I was interested it, I am bidding all of you farewell and Happy Sailings!!!  I just switched to the Celebrity Millennium sailing the following week and am able to do Tracy Fjord while the ship goes through the glaciers and still get a second excursion in Juneau plus a private Bear excursion in Ketchikan.  

I've enjoyed meeting all of you here and wish you the best!!!

18 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I'm on the Sept 10th sailing and got the same e-mail. Our 3rd time in Alaska, so it really doesn't matter to us.

For us this is out 26th time so we really are not concerned with amount of port time.  We really want to get back on a ship.

We got a similar email for our Serenade sailing.  It is also leaving Seattle later than originally planned.  I expect when they did their test cruise they determined that turn around and check would take longer.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, suamom said:

Oh just get him drunk and join the balcony club. lol