Cruise Around Japan

sabrefan

Just wondering if Celebrity has canceled the upcoming Japan cruise departing on September 26, 2021. I am booked for a Japan cruise departing Tokyo on March 27, 2022. Since Covid is increasing in Japan and the country is less than 20% vaccinated I am wondering if Japan will get its act together in time.

34 minutes ago, sabrefan said:

Just wondering if Celebrity has canceled the upcoming Japan cruise departing on September 26, 2021. I am booked for a Japan cruise departing Tokyo on March 27, 2022. Since Covid is increasing in Japan and the country is less than 20% vaccinated I am wondering if Japan will get its act together in time.

As of today , Celebrity has not cancelled Japan Cruise starting on 9/26/21  from Tokyo. 

By the way, latest Vaccination #'s for Japan: 20% fully vaccinated, and 32% have had one shot. Actually they have been increasing the process pretty good last couple of weeks

I hope we're okay on the March 27 date...We've already been canceled for April 2020...and lifted and shifted to this...and had to cancel the Transpacific we had booked following the April 2020...

...and all this was after twice moving our Med B2B, then having the revised itineraries drastically changed...

I will go on record of accusing Celebrity of being disingenuous.    So put me on record..  There is no way there will be any cruise in or out of Japan in September 2021.   In fact, we have a late March 2022 cruise from Japan (different cruise line)  and it is likely that it will also be cancelled.   Japan is moving very slowly in getting its population vaccinated and no way will they open up their country until most of their own people are fully vaccinated and safe.   Japan is a very cautious country when it comes to public health and they will not move quickly to reinstate cruises.

Hank

• Like 5

I have to agree with Hank.    I'm sure they are making plans for cancellation but probably waiting on the outside chance that it will occur.    My main complaint on my cancelled cruises was that you had to make final payment and then fight to get it back for month's. 

• Like 3

I hope Hank and Jim are not correct. Especially when it comes to 2022. My hubby and I have two B2B cruises beginning April 2022 in Tokyo and ending in Seattle. These were both supposed to happen in a similar time frame of 2021. As far as 2021, it definitely seems as if those will not happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buckwheel said:

I hope Hank and Jim are not correct. Especially when it comes to 2022. My hubby and I have two B2B cruises beginning April 2022 in Tokyo and ending in Seattle. These were both supposed to happen in a similar time frame of 2021. As far as 2021, it definitely seems as if those will not happen.

Personally, I'm only referring to the September 2021 cruise.    I wouldn't even want to guess what the future and 2022 will be like.  That is one reason  I transferred my Brazil March 2022 cruise to a TA out of FLL.  

They have cancelled the sailing in NZ and Australia up until December 21 at this time and I'm guessing further cancellations are going to happen.  One day at a time has to be my motto.

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have cancelled the sailing in NZ and Australia up until December 21 at this time and I'm guessing further cancellations are going to happen.  One day at a time has to be my motto.

It definitely seems as if further cancellations will occur. Our first cruise back since covid is the Galapagos Islands scheduled for October 2021 and that seems as if it will happen. I've been following a live Flora Galapagos cruise that started July 4, 2021 and everything seemed to go as planned.

1 hour ago, Buckwheel said:

I also hope I am wrong in regard to 2022.  We have a 42 day Asian cruise that begins in Yokohama in late March.  Our last two Asian cruises have been cancelled (by the cruise lines) and we really want to get back to Japan.  But when I look at the actual facts, as they exist today, it is difficult to be an optimist.  Meanwhile we will continue our planning including booking several weeks worth of hotels in Japan where we plan on spending a few DIY weeks traveling in Japan.  Do I think any of this will happen?  Well, you can be sure any reservations will not involve deposits and will be cancelable with zero penalties.

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

I also hope I am wrong in regard to 2022.  We have a 42 day Asian cruise that begins in Yokohama in late March.  Our last two Asian cruises have been cancelled (by the cruise lines) and we really want to get back to Japan.  But when I look at the actual facts, as they exist today, it is difficult to be an optimist.  Meanwhile we will continue our planning including booking several weeks worth of hotels in Japan where we plan on spending a few DIY weeks traveling in Japan.  Do I think any of this will happen?  Well, you can be sure any reservations will not involve deposits and will be cancelable with zero penalties.

Hank

We must be on a cruise not too long after you. Our plan is to travel to Japan late March 2022, hike the Nakasendo Trail, spend time poking around Japan, hop on a Best of Japan cruise then stay onboard heading east to Seattle. Not surprisingly all of this was planned for 2021. We are hopeful it will happen in 2022. 

1 minute ago, Buckwheel said:

We must be on a cruise not too long after you. Our plan is to travel to Japan late March 2022, hike the Nakasendo Trail, spend time poking around Japan, hop on a Best of Japan cruise then stay onboard heading east to Seattle. Not surprisingly all of this was planned for 2021. We are hopeful it will happen in 2022. 

Yep, lots in common.  We are on HA embarking in Yokohama and ending in Vancouver (6 weeks later).  We did planning back in 2019, had our 2020 and 2021 cruises canceled because of COVID, and now think that 2022 is in jeopardy.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sabrefan said:

In 2015 TWICE, we booked the around Japan (in Spring, then in Fall).   Both were cancelled, due to charters.   I understand that happens a lot for Japan cruises.

We bounced back both times.

For the Spring cruise, we transferred to a Singapore to Dubai cruise that stopped in India (4 ports) and Oman.  It was on the Century (its next to last cruise).   It was a great cruise.

For the Fall, we transferred to a Tokyo to Hong Kong cruise with four ports in main islands Japan, then Shanghai, Okinawa and three days in Taiwan on Millennium.  It is once of our favorite cruises ever.

56 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We had an April 26, 2022 cruise from Tokyo to Singapore cancelled a few weeks ago.  Terribly disappointing.

Not to mention our Singapore to Athens cruise that was also cancelled. 

14 hours ago, Buckwheel said:

We're on the same B2B.....no way to know (or even guess) what the situation will be at final payment time....

We’re booked on this cruise.  We originally had a b2b from Vancouver.  Payment was coming due and I called every other day until final and celebrity insisted it would be a go despite the Soltice not even being in the region!  Same with the Japan cruise now.  We’re 70 days out and not a single communication—still open for booking!  But you can’t check in…..”check in closed.”

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yep, lots in common.  We are on HA embarking in Yokohama and ending in Vancouver (6 weeks later).  We did planning back in 2019, had our 2020 and 2021 cruises canceled because of COVID, and now think that 2022 is in jeopardy.

Hank

Maybe I'll see you on that cruise in 2023. (I booked it a couple of weeks ago -- Yokohama to Yokohama to Yokohama, getting off before the Vancouver leg...). 🤣😉

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe I'll see you on that cruise in 2023. (I booked it a couple of weeks ago -- Yokohama to Yokohama to Yokohama, getting off before the Vancouver leg...). 🤣😉

As much as we would love to meet you (and talk about Italy) we still have some hope (not much) that the 2022 cruise will happen.  If not, and assuming there is space, we would likely book the 2023 voyages (the last 28 day within Japan and the 14 day to Vancouver)     What is driving me nutz is looking for a "Plan B" trip in the event that the 2022 Asian cruises are canceled.  I do not see any cruises in the Spring 2022 that tickle my fancy (and we look at all cruises on all lines) so I am thinking it might be time to head back to Europe for a long (at least 5 weeks) driving trip.  Where to go would depend on how things are on the ground but we would favor using France for arrival/departure since there are some good schemes to lease a new car from Citroen or Peugeot.   The fun of a long driving trip is we really do not need to plan more then a few days in advance and can try to head to the parts of Europe that have favorable weather forecasts :).

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

As much as we would love to meet you (and talk about Italy) we still have some hope (not much) that the 2022 cruise will happen.  If not, and assuming there is space, we would likely book the 2023 voyages on HAL (the last 28 day within Japan and the 14 day to Vancouver)    We favor HAL because their 28 day itinerary (Tokyo to Tokyo) is more in line with our thinking then the 12 day Solstice cruises.   What is driving me nutz is looking for a "Plan B" trip in the event that the 2022 Asian cruises are canceled.  I do not see any cruises in the Spring 2022 that tickle my fancy (and we look at all cruises on all lines) so I am thinking it might be time to head back to Europe for a long (at least 5 weeks) driving trip.  Where to go would depend on how things are on the ground but we would favor using France for arrival/departure since there are some good schemes to lease a new car from Citroen or Peugeot.   The fun of a long driving trip is we really do not need to plan more then a few days in advance and can try to head to the parts of Europe that have favorable weather forecasts :).

Hank

I'm booked on the September 26th sailing as well.  The only reason I didn't cancel it was we had amazing airline tickets and I didn't want to pay the $200.00 per person cancellation fee on the flights through Celebrity.  I'll be absolutely shocked if the cruise sails.  I'm banking on a cancellation  sometime after the Olympics.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, TeaBag said:

We had an April 26, 2022 cruise from Tokyo to Singapore cancelled a few weeks ago.  Terribly disappointing.

May I ask which cruise line that was?