Any advice on children that can't be given the vaccine for Oct cruise?

Derbie

My DH and myself are sailing with our son and his family on the Mardi Gras 10/2.  We have four grandchildren.  Three of the grandchildren are from our daughter-in-law's previous marriage.  Her ex has made it very clear he will not allow the kids to be vaccinated.  They are 15, 13 and 11.  He has plenty of medical background. He has a doctorate in physical therapy and his wife is an RN. I say this, as I think a lot of people think those who don't want to be vaccinated, are not either well educated, or don't understand the science. In this case, they are both equally educated and well read.  MY DH son, and family are not anti vaxxers, but my husband and I (and most of my son and his family) have already had Covid back in the fall.  We weren't planning on getting the vaccine, unless we can't travel without it.  My issue has been from the beginning is, how fast it was brought to the masses.  That is all, and I am not here to argue its merit one way-or-another.  With the uptick of Covid growing again, I am wondering there will be any allowances for children (5%) to sail without being vaccinated?  Of course, we have alreayd paid for the cruise in full, several weeks ago.  The youngest grandchild is 5 years old.  Can we cancel if need be, and reschedule in 2022?  Anyone know if this is a possibility. This is already (like so many others) a rescheduled cruise with Carnival, with two more yet to be rescheduled. I realize my TA is not going to really know anymore than Carnival shares, but wondered what you all would recommend? I did call her and left a message, but she has not returned the call as of yet.   I thank you all kindly in advance for your suggestions and sound advice.  

We are hoping they tell us sept and oct protocols and provide the exemption link right away. It probably is first come first served so jump on it when it does come out.

Your only hope probably is to ask for them to get exempted. Your personal story wouldnt matter, either they get exempted or they dont. At least by oct there will be fewer kids vying for exemptions.

Unvaccinated kids can only do bubble tours as you have read. 

Monday or possibly tuesday was the last they said they will make more announcements. My sept 11 cruise is also waiting for the exemptions. Hopefully once they announce you will be allowed to cancel and get refunded. Right now you can move your cruise but who knows the future. 

Right now I'd hang in there and wait for oct announcements. If you can I'd take the refund and book later if things do change.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

There are lots of threads that have asked the same question over and over again. Read through the first few pages of threads on the Carnival forum. Been asked like 4 times already. If you’re an adult and unvaccinated don’t expect to get on a carnival ship anytime soon . The lines don’t want unvaccinated people on their ships.

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Maybe your TA hasnt returned your call hoping we hear today about sept and oct. 

Right now standard cancellation penalties apply. Imo if you and your grandkids are not vaccinated I would not keep rescheduling and assume next year unvaccinated can cruise without jumping thru hoops. I'd wait on carnival and pray they allow refunds. 

What I understand at this point is.  They are allowing people to cancel and get refunded or move the cruise, either one.  JH has said this a few times on his morning videos.

The kids, especially with the new announcement that the court has upheld the CDC's side of the legal battle currently happening, would require an exemption from Carnival to cruise (this could change by Oct though, who knows!).  However, keep in mind.  The exemptions are very limited and a lot of people are not getting them.  Also, they are having to wait to the very last minute before they find out what is happening (which is understandably frustrating).  

Also, keep in mind sailing with them unvaccinated will require extra things.  Like someone mentioned you can only do bubble tours or they can not get off the ship, the kids clubs are closed and some of the other activities are not running (green eggs and ham breakfasts, etc), also I believe (don't quote me 100%, but I am pretty sure) you have to pay $150 each to have them covid tested before they can board the ship.  God forbid during that they did test positive (which could happen) then you would have some hard choices to make standing there at the port dock and the vacation would come to an abrupt end for at least some of you if not all.

If you are willing to wait it out and hope for an exemption if need be, knowing it could be in the 12th hour before you get an answer and deal with all the other limitations, then I would wait it out.  If not, I would start thinking about rebooking now just for peace of mind and closure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wemjam said:

What I understand at this point is.  They are allowing people to cancel and get refunded or move the cruise, either one.  JH has said this a few times on his morning videos.

The kids, especially with the new announcement that the court has upheld the CDC's side of the legal battle currently happening, would require an exemption from Carnival to cruise (this could change by Oct though, who knows!).  However, keep in mind.  The exemptions are very limited and a lot of people are not getting them.  Also, they are having to wait to the very last minute before they find out what is happening (which is understandably frustrating).  

Also, keep in mind sailing with them unvaccinated will require extra things.  Like someone mentioned you can only do bubble tours or they can not get off the ship, the kids clubs are closed and some of the other activities are not running (green eggs and ham breakfasts, etc), also I believe (don't quote me 100%, but I am pretty sure) you have to pay $150 each to have them covid tested before they can board the ship.  God forbid during that they did test positive (which could happen) then you would have some hard choices to make standing there at the port dock and the vacation would come to an abrupt end for at least some of you if not all.

If you are willing to wait it out and hope for an exemption if need be, knowing it could be in the 12th hour before you get an answer and deal with all the other limitations, then I would wait it out.  If not, I would start thinking about rebooking now just for peace of mind and closure.

I think you are only half right. Yes op can cancel and move to next year, but who is to say next year will be better for rebooking.

Only July and august can get refunds, nothing beyond august. If my sept and oct roll calls could get refunds now they would have. Standard cancellation penalties apply for past august.

I would wait for sept and oct protocols and hope refunds offered. 

You'll have to reschedule. With cases rising again, they aren't going to be less restrictive. Don't expect 2022 to be any different at this rate. 

The older kids won't get an exemption because they can be vaccinated. Their dad is just choosing not to, which means waiting. 

Edited by Jamesatgsu
  • Like 3

You are in  "wait and see" mode now.  Really nothing you can do except reschedule (hopefully without any penalty, as no "official" announcements have been made yet.)  or hope you are one of the lucky ones that get an exemption, if that rule is still in place when you sail.

1 minute ago, BroadwayGirl said:

The 15 and 13 year old are going to be your issue as they will be considered “unvaxxed adults” in a sense as they are old enough to get the jab. Most exemptions seem to go to those younger than 12 who can’t be vaccinated. 

OP says they arent vaccinated either but they will in order to travel if necessary. They had covid but not vaccinated. 

Sounds like none of them are vaccinated which is why I said wait for John's announcement which might be at 5 pm. See if he now says op can get a refund. 

• Like 1

If you plan on cruising get vaccinated.  Infections are on the rise again because of the number of people who refused to get vaccinated, and cruise lines know all too well that it would be extremely bad for their bottom line if there was a shipboard outbreak.  They're not about to relax their policies until this is over.

• Like 8

At this point, nothing has been announced for October.

However, the older kids will be considered unvaccinated adults since they are eligible. You will need to go through the process for exemptions for all unvaccinated guests, if required. I would suggest all eligible people get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

My DH and myself are sailing with our son and his family on the Mardi Gras 10/2.  We have four grandchildren.  Three of the grandchildren are from our daughter-in-law's previous marriage.  Her ex has made it very clear he will not allow the kids to be vaccinated.  They are 15, 13 and 11.  He has plenty of medical background. He has a doctorate in physical therapy and his wife is an RN. I say this, as I think a lot of people think those who don't want to be vaccinated, are not either well educated, or don't understand the science. In this case, they are both equally educated and well read.  MY DH son, and family are not anti vaxxers, but my husband and I (and most of my son and his family) have already had Covid back in the fall.  We weren't planning on getting the vaccine, unless we can't travel without it.  My issue has been from the beginning is, how fast it was brought to the masses.  That is all, and I am not here to argue its merit one way-or-another.  With the uptick of Covid growing again, I am wondering there will be any allowances for children (5%) to sail without being vaccinated?  Of course, we have alreayd paid for the cruise in full, several weeks ago.  The youngest grandchild is 5 years old.  Can we cancel if need be, and reschedule in 2022?  Anyone know if this is a possibility. This is already (like so many others) a rescheduled cruise with Carnival, with two more yet to be rescheduled. I realize my TA is not going to really know anymore than Carnival shares, but wondered what you all would recommend? I did call her and left a message, but she has not returned the call as of yet.   I thank you all kindly in advance for your suggestions and sound advice.  

Suggest you cancel and reschedule to 2022 or  reconsider the VAX.  (Moderna)

I recently read a negative post cruise from a family whom was blaming Carnival as her children were not allowed off any of the 4 stops due to non vax.  Plus many children activities are shut down - that's been announced all along yet they still found fault.  

Carnival has posted many notes about the requirement and subject countries can change at the last minute pending the current uptick.  Bimini actually shut down the cruise ship the other week.  Maybe they'll reopen or have again?

So common sense goes along way and you treated this with dignity - asking the way you did - well done!.

Just saying I hope you get on a cruise at some point.

Nothing like a family traveling together or a reunion on a cruise!

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

How do you prove you had it and still have ENOUGH antibodies?

It doesnt matter for cruising purposes, it's a yes or no question.

Time is running out to get vaccinated with 2 weeks to spare for a oct cruise.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

OP says they arent vaccinated either but they will in order to travel if necessary. They had covid but not vaccinated. 

Sounds like none of them are vaccinated which is why I said wait for John's announcement which might be at 5 pm. See if he now says op can get a refund. 

I read that as the OP and her husband (aka the grandparents) would get their shots if they needed it to travel, but the ex husband/former SIL is saying he forbids the 15, 13 and 11 grands to get it.   So being above 12..an exemption will prove difficult. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayGirl said:

I read that as the OP and her husband (aka the grandparents) would get their shots if they needed it to travel, but the ex husband/former SIL is saying he forbids the 15, 13 and 11 grands to get it.   So being above 12..an exemption will prove difficult. 

Yes I read it the exact same way. OP and her husband will but havent but the kids will not. Nothing I said disagrees with what you wrote. We wrote the same thing. 

I keep saying wait for announcement and hope for a refund. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

How do you prove you had it and still have ENOUGH antibodies?

Per the CDC website—

Information for people who recently recovered from COVID-19

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you are symptomatic. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

According to recent studies, antibodies from previous covid do not protect against new strains like the Delta. The vaccines do offer some protection which is why they recommend getting vaccinated even if you have had covid. The cruiseline does not recognize previous covid infections as being "vaccinated" or grounds for a waiver. With the recent outbreaks on the Horizon even with 95% vaccinated, I can guarantee they will not relax their protocols and in fact may raise them. It is doubtful the OP is going to be able to sail in October with unvaccinated older children. Best bet is to postone. Carnival will work with you if you call them. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DanvilleCruiser said:

Per the CDC website—

Information for people who recently recovered from COVID-19

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you are symptomatic. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.

Carnival is not recognizing/accepting recent recovery... it is either vaccinated or not. Quite possibly because as this states that they can still test positive, which would have to be reported to the CDC, which would lead to media frenzy and potentially more restrictions or another shutdown. 

• Like 3

You can check the thread referencing the sept/Oct announcements, or find John Healds Facebook and listen to it.  

I listened and what i think it said  was

-nothing about being previously infected and allowed to sail. 

- it does seem like the only exemptions for unvaxxed  are kids 12 and under who are not eligible. 

- there was talk of families not wanting to wait to see if the exemption comes thru so they can move the cruise forward or can cancel for a full refund. 

Being that your family is not vaxxed I doubt you will be able to sail, even tho you have had the virus. 
but of course call and make sure. 

good luck 

• Like 2

No kids programming under age 12 at least through the end of October, even if you do get exemptions. I’d bail out until 2022. We did last week before all the decent 2022 cabins were being swarmed.

Edited by Noami
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Noami said:

No kids programming under age 12 at least through the end of October, even if you do get exemptions. I’d bail out until 2022. We did last week before all the decent 2022 cabins were being swarmed.

No youth programs and only bubble excursions may not be much fun for the kids. Many families are probably reconsidering right now.

• Like 1