Requesting table for 2 in main dining room

groundloop

In the past we've always just gone with the flow and gladly accepted whatever table we were assigned for dining (usually early dining). 

Unfortunately my wife's hearing is very bad and she has an extremely difficult time carrying on a conversation in any kind of a noisy environment.  She gets quite embarrassed when she can't understand what someone is saying, or worse yet misunderstands and replies with something that seems to be way out in left field.

In the future she wants to make sure, if at all possible, that we're assigned a table for 2 in the dining room to avoid that embarrassment.  How do I go about making that request?

• Like 1

If you have YTD, you simply advise them when you check in at the desk that you would like a table for two

If you have a specified dining time, you will want to go see the Maitre D the first day on the ship and request this direct.  Since you are sat the same table every seating in assigned dining.  They usually have hours on the first day mid afternoon just to handle these things.  You can ask guest services what time you need to go.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wemjam said:

.....They usually have hours on the first day mid afternoon just to handle these things.  You can ask guest services what time you need to go.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

We've been on quite a few cruises and always just went with whatever we were assigned, even though it made my wife quite uncomfortable at times.  I figured from here on out we can go out of our way just a bit to make her experience a bit more pleasurable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

We've been on quite a few cruises and always just went with whatever we were assigned, even though it made my wife quite uncomfortable at times.  I figured from here on out we can go out of our way just a bit to make her experience a bit more pleasurable.

Have you considered YTD?  I find this better for us as it allows us to show up for dinner whenever we want and what happens to work for each day, plus we can specifically request a table for 2 (it is more like a normal restaurant experience).

Some people like assigned dining times for certain reasons, but if you are open YTD might be worth a try.

I have had great success in the past emailing the maitre d 2 weeks before the cruise and request a table (or booth) for two.  Although I've made the request several times, I've only received an answer one time; however, each time we were assigned a table for 2.

There is a list of maitre d email addresses in several posts - you should be able to do a search.

I now go for YTD and only eat in the dining room a few times each cruise.

Carnival has asked time and again for people not to email the maitre d'. They don't have the time to read thousands of emails.

Even during a pandemic, probably because the cruises are mostly vaccinated, tables are not physically distanced. With tables for two, you might be just about sitting in the lap of the people at the next table. Conversation between the tables is not required or expected 

• Like 1

Blerk hit on the key.  As a couple, we do YTD and get a table for 2.  There's no expectation for conversation with the folks that sit at the next table over.  Often it's just 'Good evening'.

We always do YTD and always get a table for two. We go to dinner early so we don't have to wait around for a table when it gets really busy. We are pretty close to our neighbors, but just a "good evening" is usually the extent of our conversation. 

14 hours ago, jordanaire said:

You can email the Maitre 'D on the ship and request a table for 2.

Emails are not encouraged any more - they no longer advertise them, and from what I gather no longer respond to them.  Instead Carnival asks you see the Maitre D' on day 1.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Emails are not encouraged any more - they no longer advertise them, and from what I gather no longer respond to them.  Instead Carnival asks you see the Maitre D' on day 1.

They never were encouraged by Carnival and are actively discouraged.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, wemjam said:

Have you considered YTD?  I find this better for us as it allows us to show up for dinner whenever we want and what happens to work for each day, plus we can specifically request a table for 2 (it is more like a normal restaurant experience).

Some people like assigned dining times for certain reasons, but if you are open YTD might be worth a try.

We've had YTD a couple of times when we booked too late to get early dining.  Maybe it was just the ships we were on but it was our experience that dinner seemed to take longer with YTD, plus it was generally nice to have the same wait staff each evening and to get to know them a bit.  

As far as not having any obligation to carry on a conversation with folks at a table next to yours, the only time I had a bad experience was with YTD.  We we next to someone who insisted on showing us photos of all their kids, grandkids, bragging about how little he paid for the cruise, and even bringing up politics.  I understand that's not the norm, and thankfully we never saw those folks again for the rest of the cruise.

However, with all that being said, we may still consider YTD.

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

As far as not having any obligation to carry on a conversation with folks at a table next to yours, the only time I had a bad experience was with YTD.  We we next to someone who insisted on showing us photos of all their kids, grandkids, bragging about how little he paid for the cruise, and even bringing up politics.  I understand that's not the norm, and thankfully we never saw those folks again for the rest of the cruise.

Wow, that's incredibly rude.  I would have had no problem telling them after 5 minutes that I preferred to enjoy dinner with my wife and to wish them well for the rest of their cruise.  Of course if both sides wish to engage in some chit chat, that's fantastic.  But get a clue.

6 hours ago, groundloop said:

We've had YTD a couple of times when we booked too late to get early dining.  Maybe it was just the ships we were on but it was our experience that dinner seemed to take longer with YTD, plus it was generally nice to have the same wait staff each evening and to get to know them a bit.  

However, with all that being said, we may still consider YTD.

EVERY single time we have been seated a table with other guests they have brought up politics. I just don't get it and it drives me crazy. We used to do YTD but assigned dining is better for us because DH has some food allergies. We always request a table for 2 during the maitre d' hours on day 1.

We usually still end up sharing a breakfast table with other guests.

• Like 1

Since becoming Diamond a few years ago, we are generally assigned a table for 2 without asking for one.  Perhaps the only time we weren't seated at a 2 top was on one of the initial USA sailings of the Horizon where we were seated at that humongeous round table for 16 or whatever right behind the Maitre"D station.  I requested and received a smaller 4 top after that 1st meal,

We always ask for a table for 2 even with assigned dining.  Just go to the dining room on embarkation day.  There are certain times they take requests.  That have never questioned us at all.

4 minutes ago, mlshum said:

We always ask for a table for 2 even with assigned dining.  Just go to the dining room on embarkation day.  There are certain times they take requests.  That have never questioned us at all.

What is that certain time on embarkation day? 

T

17 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

What is that certain time on embarkation day? 

There will be a sign posted outside the dining room giving the time and location for requests.