What is the difference between MSC and Costa

JOHN 57

3 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

I have sailed on MSC Musica before but not Costa.  What is the difference?  Thank you.

The difference between MSC and Costa is that one of those is good, and sometimes really good....and if you choose Yacht club it varies between very good and excellent. The other one is poor but can sometimes be good enough!

2 hours ago, the wandering two said:

There's already a MSC vs Costa thread on both companies boards. 

Have a browse at them first. 

PS Costa`s web site, login etc actually works! 

Although moderators locked my MSC vs. Costa thread on the MSC forum, otherwise I'd bump it for you, but at least it's still there.  The Costa vs. MSC thread on the Costa forum remains unlocked.

Edited by Stockjock

On 7/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, JOHN 57 said:

I have sailed on MSC Musica before but not Costa.  What is the difference?  Thank you.

In simple and short terms, MSC is a four star cruise, while Costa is a 3 star budget Cruise.

MSC has 6 grand shows on a typical 7 night Cruise, while Costa has only 4 Grand shows.

The MSC buffet is open for 20 hours a day while the Costa buffet is open for 7-8 hours a day.

Costa is very very Italian,  while MSC is more multinational.

With MSC, you usually get the best prices when The Cruise is first announced in the beginning,  and the prices gradually go up with time.

Costa is the reverse, the prices fall with time and four to six weeks prior to sailing they are usually the lowest.

MSC offers a status match, while Costa does not.

In fact no cruise line offers such a status match.

MSC offers up to 50% discount on the basic fare for healthcare workers with hard copy proof.

No other cruise line offers this and certainly not Costa

Costa has some excellent bargains for Cruises coming up later this year 2021, while MSC prices for 2021 Cruises have already gone up significantly.

There are plenty more differences and I could go on and on, but this should suffice

Edited by drsel
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

thank you for the info, and I very impressed.

You are most welcome, helping others gives me oxytocin, serotonin and dopamine.

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

“Emma Cruises” did an informative YouTube video on this. Not sure if we’re allowed to link to such things. 

Yes you can

Many have posted links to her videos

Edited by drsel

19 hours ago, drsel said:

In simple and short terms, MSC is a four star cruise, while Costa is a 3 star budget Cruise.

Never gone with Costa, but that's exactly my impression from my friends whom have done both Costa and MSC. Many thanks and have a nice day!...

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, drsel said:

MSC has 6 grand shows on a typical 7 night Cruise, while Costa has only 4 Grand shows.

The MSC buffet is open for 20 hours a day while the Costa buffet is open for 7-8 hours a day.

With MSC, you usually get the best prices when The Cruise is first announced in the beginning,  and the prices gradually go up with time.

Costa is the reverse, the prices fall with time and four to six weeks prior to sailing they are usually the lowest.

MSC offers up to 50% discount on the basic fare for healthcare workers with hard copy proof.

Costa has some excellent bargains for Cruises coming up later this year 2021, while MSC prices for 2021 Cruises have already gone up significantly.

There are plenty more differences and I could go on and on, but this should suffice

Just came back from 2 MSC and one Costa cruise and the differences are really glaring.

Costa refused to serve free ice cream even once during 7 lunches and 7 dinners while MSC had free ice cream every night.

Costa desserts are full of fatty cream.

All desserts and pastries were very ordinary with nearly 70% cream, certainly not befitting a cruise; whereas MSC desserts are much better.

When I asked the Costa chef why he could not make Tiramisu or Dark chocolate Dutch truffle, he said he had to follow instructions from the head office to make only basic desserts full of cream.

In Costa, All games and activities are organised in Italian and you need to request them to speak in English.

Whereas on MSC, they will first speak in English and then Italian, Spanish, French, German.

So English appears to be the first language on MSC.

MSC now has 7 different shows, one for each night of the cruise and each show is shown 3 times, making a total of 21 shows in 7 nights.

Costa has only 4 shows and each show is shown only twice making a total of 8 shows in 7 nights

In both the crew work very hard, the bartenders are always busy and there is a lot of partying and dancing every night.

Edited by drsel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We once docked along side a Costa ship. Can’t remember which one but it was significantly smaller than the one we were on and we had a nice view of their private sun deck area. Had a hot tub and several loungers…and nude sunbathers. 🤦‍♀️

That reminds me-- on Costa neoRiviera when I went into the Chamomile steam room there was a topless women sitting opposite me 🤪

But recently on Costa Firenze, there was a fully naked man in the sauna.

Of course Costa is not responsible for this.

It could have been on any Cruise ship.

Edited by drsel

Thanks for bumping this topic. It still is very interesting. Also thanks for the additions.

In Europe going to the sauna in your birthday suit is de norm. Personally I prefer it this way, as long as people don robe or towel when they get out. Since this is the norm, it should be made very clear if the rules are different. Europeans might not even consider keeping on their trunks (or speedo's) if they aren't told to do so.

Back to topic. I've (unfortunately) never been on a full Costa-cruise, but I did enjoy a lunch once on the Luminosa while she was docked in Amsterdam. I've been on several MSC-cruises, on different classes of ships. I thought the Luminosa had a impressive interior, but nearly all rooms looked alike. MSC-ships have a more differentiated interior (although ships of the same (sub)class tend to be carbon copies of each other). The food on both companies was excellent, but the Costa lunch took about 1,5 hours (which was very enjoyable in this occasion), while on MSC you can be ready in 45 minutes. I've read reviews that say this is the same with dinner (although 2,5 hours vs. 75 minutes). If you prefer a not too long meal on Costa, go to the buffet. But be aware, where the buffet is (at least partially) open 20/7 on MSC , Costa's buffets are know to be open 3 times per day for some 3-4 hours on end, and close between meals.

During my cruises we've passed several Costa-ships. I've noticed that there is a big party atmosphere on deck, with loud music and many people dancing. On MSC only the sailaway-party is like this (which might not the your first night onboard), while other nights are more relaxed with music on a lower volume. Plenty of party possibilities in indoor venues though.

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We once docked along side a Costa ship. Can’t remember which one but it was significantly smaller than the one we were on and we had a nice view of their private sun deck area. Had a hot tub and several loungers…and nude sunbathers. 🤦‍♀️

While; on one hand, price commands the crowd; on the other hand, from time to time, Costa is known to host some naturalist specialty full charter cruises where, other than for shore excursions and women on their menstrual period, all guests are supposed to be "as they are" in public areas inside ship. My best bet is that you might have had one of those cruises near you. I feel sad for the crews involved, of course, but things are what they are.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

While; on one hand, price commands the crowd; on the other hand, from time to time, Costa is known to host some naturalist specialty full charter cruises where, other than for shore excursions and women on their menstrual period, all guests are supposed to be "as they are" in public areas inside ship. My best bet is that you might have had one of those cruises near you. I feel sad for the crews involved, of course, but things are what they are.

At these nude Cruises, the passengers are allowed to be nude at the pool side, but not in the main dining room, nor at the shows.

I am not sure what the rules are for the lounge bars.

These nude Cruises are also highly overpriced.

2 hours ago, drsel said:

At these nude Cruises, the passengers are allowed to be nude at the pool side, but not in the main dining room, nor at the shows.

I'm not interested on such rules TBHH... Heard that on AIDA for the German market they're allowed to go nude pretty much elsewhere. On Costa I believe they're more restrictive, to at least swimsuit on the restaurants and shows... It's possible that those nude cruises may be overpriced. they fit a specific community to say the least...

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Being nude in the MDR would be an improvement on the dress of some cruisers 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, drsel said:

Another major difference is in their loyalty system.

In Costa club, even if you sail with them every year, your accumulated points have to expire after 3 years, and the status you have achieved will fall accordingly.

Whereas in MSC Voyagers club, you can retain your lifetime accumulated points and highest status if you sail them at least once in 3 years

MSC is the only cruise line which offers a status match.

MSC will match the highest status you have achieved in any of the major Cruise lines or major Hotel chains.

Costa does not offer any such status match, nor do most of the other Cruise lines

On 11/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, drsel said:

That reminds me-- on Costa neoRiviera when I went into the Chamomile steam room there was a topless women sitting opposite me 🤪

But recently on Costa Firenze, there was a fully naked man in the sauna.

Of course Costa is not responsible for this.

It could have been on any Cruise ship.

Have had the same in NCL co-ed sauna.  One was sitting directly on the bench.  😱