Symphony of the Seas vs. Oasis of the Seas

Long time happy NCL cruiser excited to try something new. The in-laws and I just booked our first RCCL cruise since 2005 on the Symphony of the Seas sailing March 2022! We will be sailing in an ocean view balcony and the in-laws chose to do a boardwalk balcony. About a week after paying the deposit, I noticed that the Oasis of the Seas sailing just one week later with the same exact itinerary is $1,000 cheaper per stateroom in the same category. I am having a hard time justifying paying so much extra money to be on the newer ship, but at the same time it is my first cruise with Royal in 16 years and I do like new, shiny things. 😀 Besides the fact that the week itself is more convenient for my schedule and the Symphony is much younger, are there any other major reasons why I shouldn't seriously consider switching sailings to save a buck? Thanks for any and all feedback and opinions! 

Edited by mcello77

That's a tough one.  SY is the newest Oasis class ship but Oasis has been amplified so it's not a bad second choice.  For $1K I would definitely choose Oasis unless you just WANT to be on the newest ship.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mcello77 said:

Long time happy NCL cruiser excited to try something new. The in-laws and I just booked our first RCCL cruise since 2005 on the Symphony of the Seas sailing March 2022! We will be sailing in an ocean view balcony and the in-laws chose to do a boardwalk balcony. About a week after paying the deposit, I noticed that the Oasis of the Seas sailing just one week later with the same exact itinerary is $1,000 cheaper per stateroom in the same category. I am having a hard time justifying paying so much extra money to be on the newer ship, but at the same time it is my first cruise with Royal in 16 years and I do like new, shiny things. 😀 Besides the fact that the week itself is more convenient for my schedule and the Symphony is much younger, are there any other major reasons why I shouldn't seriously consider switching sailings to save a buck? Thanks for any and all feedback and opinions! 

Been on both OASIS & SYMPHONY. Basically no big differences. In fact just booked Oasis for B2B in May 22 Central Park.

We have NCL EPIC, GETAWAY 2021, BLISS and ESCAPE 2022 booked, too.

PLATINUM on NCL & D+ on RCI.

We would definitely save the $1,000/cabin! We paid $1,750 for Central Park for 2. So, you & another could go on another 7 day cruise.

Your choice,  your money. 

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

That's a tough one.  SY is the newest Oasis class ship but Oasis has been amplified so it's not a bad second choice.  For $1K I would definitely choose Oasis unless you just WANT to be on the newest ship.

Totally agree with you. Oasis was in Drydock Apr 2019. Been on all Oasis class ships. No big differences except Wonderland Restaurant & Diamond Lounge moved from Deck 12 on Oasis to Deck 4 on Harmony.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Totally agree with you. Oasis was in Drydock Apr 2019. Been on all Oasis class ships. No big differences except Wonderland Restaurant & Diamond Lounge moved from Deck 12 on Oasis to Deck 4 on Harmony.

Diamond Lounge was moved to 4 on Oasis as well during dry dock. 

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Diamond Lounge was moved to 4 on Oasis as well during dry dock. 

Thanks for the update.  What a shame! Shipmate still shows it on Deck 12. Did they put Wonderland on Deck 12? 

Another vote for saving the money.  We've been on 3 different Oasis class ships (Oasis, Allure, Harmony) and we find the differences to be minimal.  Considering that the itinerary is the same there's really no reason to spend the extra money.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hollon said:

Will RCCL charge you if you move to a different ship????

No, they should not. If you are using a TA, let them take charge and get it done. I assume that you made just a down payment. Have you made a Final Payment? 

What are the dates? 

2 hours ago, mcello77 said:

We have done both and as others have said the differences are too small to matter.  Save a thousand is the way to go.  If prices were the same I would still go with Oasis as it has Portside BBQ.  Another big plus for Oasis, if you need a great nap, is that Oasis has CATS.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The drydock was Oct/Nov 2019 and they added cabins and a card room to the old D lounge on 12 

Thanks again for the info!

So is the DL on Deck 4 by Studio B?

Did did a Google on Oasis deck plans and results were ?

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, it's on Deck 4 outside Studio B.  The deck plans on Royals site are correct

Just went to RCI APP and yes it is there on Deck 4. Thank you for helping with valid info. 

I have done both.  They are very much the same.  I was going to mention Wonderland is on Symphony and not Oasis.  Oasis has Chef's table.  Both are pay restaurants.  For the price difference and better date, I would go with Oasis.  I like both ships!  You can't go wrong!  Enjoy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detroitavant said:

I mean, I'd avoid Oasis just because of CATS, but that's a big price difference.  I guess I could always see a local broadway show for that!

Personally for $1,000 I would sit through CATS for you.  Just joking.

Take the money and run! 

Everyone agrees,  OASIS it is.

Happy cruising on the Oasis. With the extra money take another cruise. 

6 hours ago, Oxo said:

Oasis doesn't have Wonderland 

They added cabins in that space