Looking to switch Oct cruise from Carnival to MSC-need advice please

Derbie

My DH and I are cruising with my son and his family on the Carnival Mardi Gras October 3rd.  Three of the kids are from a previous marriage.  Their father is adamant about not having them vaccinated.  He is a doctor of physical therapy and his wife is an RN, so they are well read and educated folks.  Given the situation, we will have to rebook our cruise for next year. The Davina will have to be paid in full almost immediately, if we choose to go this route.  i would appreciate your suggestions on cabin placement, kids programs (15, 13, 11 and 5 year old) should we purchase the Bella program for $30 pp?  I have watched videos on the MSC line in the past.  I know the line has a different view on vaccinated vs non-vaccinated.  Would this cruise be greatly restrictive for everyone, since we will not be vaccinated?  Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Derbie.

Divina is a nice ship.  It wont compare to the new Mardi Gras, but it is a nice ship with a few items to keep the kids busy( smaller bowling alley, F1 simulator, slide). 

Bella is the basic package. Fantastica is next level up and basically gets you a better cabin location and a few other perks. We have cruised all the big lines and my family thinks the MSC kids clubs are the best at sea. We do not have older teenagers so cant speak to that though. 

As said previously, no one knows what the vaccine restrictions will be in a week or month or year. All a guessing game. Just have to roll with it. 

As of today, subject to change, being unvaxed or traveling with unvaxed means mandatory Covid insurance, test before boarding, mask wearing indoors, must be on a ship excursion to leave (the private island counts as a ship excursion.) Rules could change tomorrow. 

Up to you if it’s worth it, or better to just take this year off from cruising. 

• Like 2

With the rise in cases with the Delta variant it is possible that restrictions will only increase and you may not be able to sail unvaccinated. Lines in America are in no hurry to get unvaxxed people on their ships right now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

As of today, subject to change, being unvaxed or traveling with unvaxed means mandatory Covid insurance, test before boarding, mask wearing indoors, must be on a ship excursion to leave (the private island counts as a ship excursion.) Rules could change tomorrow. 

Up to you if it’s worth it, or better to just take this year off from cruising. 

Terms for sailing unvaxed are still changing.

Currently, my understanding is Covid insurance mandatory for all parties. Testing prior to arriving at port. Testing before boarding, if positive for anyone in party, all parties will be denied boarding. Testing during sailing and mask wearing when out of cabin. Some venues restricted to only vaccinated passengers.

Allowed excursions purchased onboard only, as has been mentioned.

Cruiselines are in no hurry to put their restart at risk of another shut down.

Some of the "excursions" currently offered on my upcoming cruise (Meraviglia) aren't available to no vaxx passengers. If you want to know about a particular excursion feel free to ask.

Edited by kilkoyne

11 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

When are you planning on sailing the Davina as you are not clear on that? Nobody knows where MSC or any other line will be vaccine wise next year. 

We plan on replacing the cruise on Carnival for MSC, same date 10/3/21.  They go out of the same port, Cape Canaveral. I am trying to locate the cruise excursions for Cozymel and Costa Maya, as if we cruise unvaccinated, we must go through the cruise line.

3 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

Some of the "excursions" currently offered on my upcoming cruise (Meraviglia) aren't available to no vaxx passengers. If you want to know about a particular excursion feel free to ask.

I am having some difficulty locating the cruise excursions for Cozymel and Costa Maya.  It looks like the ship settles at their private island on the other day for the cruise on departing on 10/3/21.

21 hours ago, Derbie said:

Would this cruise be greatly restrictive for everyone, since we will not be vaccinated? 

I think it will be lousy for you.

I expect that they will make it even more restrictive because in the coming weeks all it will take is one positive test to change the rules.

Just think about a change after final payment. 

Steve

I won't lie, it chaps my rear to think about entire families trying to get on board cruises unvaccinared this early on with covid cases rising again. These cruises I would avoid like the plague .... no pun intended. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Is is just the kids that are unvaccinated? 

MSC is accepting just about anybody regardless of vaccination, provided they test negative and follow their specific protocol. Keep in mind MSC has been sailing in the Mediterranean for almost a year without any major outbreak, so even before there was a vaccine available.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, logan25 said:

MSC is accepting just about anybody regardless of vaccination, provided they test negative and follow their specific protocol. Keep in mind MSC has been sailing in the Mediterranean for almost a year without any major outbreak, so even before there was a vaccine available.

Well, Florida once again is a hot spot for new Delta cases so we will see once they start up there. I think it’s a bad idea but that’s just my opinion and put my MSC sailing off until next August . Will only sail fully vaccinated cruises until then. 

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I won't lie, it chaps my rear to think about entire families trying to get on board cruises unvaccinared this early on with covid cases rising again. These cruises I would avoid like the plague .... no pun . 

I understand, I really do. All of us that are traveling, but the 5 year old have already had Covid.  I know the variant is a different animal of sorts. We fall a couple months outiside of their rule on having Covid in the past.   I think we will probably give up on the cruise idea, until Spring.  

11 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Is is just the kids that are unvaccinated? 

My son and his wife are being vacinnated this week.  I am waiting until my husband has visit with cardiologist on Monday,  before we decide on when and if we decide to get it.  My plans were to wait until later in the fall.  I am not, and I will say this again an anti-vaxxer.  I get the flu shot every year, but my concern lies with the rush of the vaccine to the marketplace.  That is all. 

If sailing this Oct--then you are inside the 90 days

IDK what MSC's policies are for payment 

We did get a % bump when MSc had to cancel sailings. 

MSC has been very successful sailing in the Med for a yr now and from what I have read and see re video--they are doing a great job.

We'd have been on any MSC ship for over a yr now if we could have been. 

As far as excursions, I suspect you will be happiest to book ship excursions in case things change re itinerary

CDC has changed policy (and I believe also lost in court) over some policies

Book and try to enjoy your cruise. There is so much to do on and off the ship. and OC is lovely

Bon voyage

On 7/24/2021 at 7:12 AM, Derbie said:

I am having some difficulty locating the cruise excursions for Cozymel and Costa Maya.  It looks like the ship settles at their private island on the other day for the cruise on departing on 10/3/21.

I can only say what I'm seeing for the Meraviglia cruise and it's showing me all types of excursions for both Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Edited by kilkoyne