LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

14 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

I thought the M&M went great. We had several representatives from HAL there fornthe start of it. Had some great conversations with some great people and time went by really fast. Thanks for organizing @liam1965

20210801_155908.jpg

That’s great hat you had HAL reps there for you M & M.  @liam1965did you invite them in advance or did they just show up?  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zelker said:

Dang!  My FAVS!!  I love those chocolate croissants with a passion but no longer can eat them. 😭  But that omelet looks delish (and that I CAN eat!)  

So what's on the agenda in Juneau today for you and the kidlets?

I may have had a 3rd chocolate croissant, maybe...

We have a mendenhall float trip booked.  Temperature is decent out but starting to become a bit more overcast.

Someone from above also dropped their sunglasses and they landed and broke on our balcony.

20210802_102608.jpg

20210802_102558.jpg

20210802_102541.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, Brentt_M said:

I may have had a 3rd chocolate croissant, maybe...

We have a mendenhall float trip booked.  Temperature is decent out but starting to become a bit more overcast.

You're really being hateful!  😉

Are you doing the float trip that starts on the lake and floats down the river?  If so, please report back on what you guys thought.  I know it won't be terribly exciting (very little and very few rapids) but it would be something new for us to do there so have been kicking it around.

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

You're really being hateful!  😉

Are you doing the float trip that starts on the lake and floats down the river?  If so, please report back on what you guys thought.  I know it won't be terribly exciting (very little and very few rapids) but it would be something new for us to do there so have been kicking it around.

That is the one we are doing.  Going to be warmer than the float trip we took when we visited Grand Teton last year.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 7:27 AM, Mr. Boston said:

How fortunate for us to have another live from trip report to follow along with!  Sorry for the loss of your wife, it’s nice that you are traveling again.  Safe travels today.  We’ll all be nearby!

I agree!  Excited to follow the posts!

13 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

So the MDR didn't quite do it for me tonight and craps was not good....  However, sushi can help ease both of those things!

Spicy tuna and spicy scallop rolls and they let me box them up and take them back to my cabin.

20210801_212449.jpg

20210801_212501.jpg

Did you get that in the MDR?

Once again the Cruise Ship Color Status has gone to yellow for the NA. Just curious how this is being handled while onboard. Are passengers notified of the CDC investigation and or the results of a CDC investigation? Last week there were two cases that turned out not to be COVID related.  And the color coding went to orange.  1014698021_ScreenShot2021-08-02at12_56_17PM.thumb.png.956009c56b2439e28f55a1e9fa70d261.png

• Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.

15 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

This is news to me.  Have not heard anything onboard.

It is really hard to determine what the CDC chart is tracking. Is this data from the last cruise?

The CDC website says: This table is updated several times a week, as needed. Last updated August 2, 2021 with data submitted July 30, 2021. 

32 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

Once again the Cruise Ship Color Status has gone to yellow for the NA. Just curious how this is being handled while onboard. Are passengers notified of the CDC investigation and or the results of a CDC investigation? Last week there were two cases that turned out not to be COVID related.  And the color coding went to orange.  1014698021_ScreenShot2021-08-02at12_56_17PM.thumb.png.956009c56b2439e28f55a1e9fa70d261.png

• Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.

When you open the link and show all the cruise ships, it looks like every ship currently sailing in North America is either orange or yellow.  Seems like the CDC is monitoring all cruise ships that are sailing.

1 hour ago, just_cruising_along said:

It went to Orange last Wednesday, 7/28, based on data submitted the day before, and remained that way until now turning to Yellow (and the week prior, had been Yellow for at least one day after the Test Cruise, a couple days prior to the 7/24 sailing. Is it possible these are cases stemming from the Test Cruise?). So the code was Orange during the 7/24 sailing, but passengers had not been notified of anything, and the Yellow code is based on data submitted 7/30, also during the 7/24 sailing. Based on first-hand reports aboard Carnival, they do not usually notify passengers of cases onboard (unlike Royal Caribbean and Celebrity). I don't know what HAL's approach will be in that regard. Hopefully, we'll get some information soon on this color code.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels to All!

Edited by syesmar

15 minutes ago, Himself said:

I watched your ship pull in from Naperville thanks to the camera in Juneau.  Enjoy your day day and if you have time stop into the Alaskan Fudge Company.  They have good fudge!

They are also a small, locally owned company.

20 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

So Gala night in the main dining room was absolutely underwhelming. 

Tends to be.  Barramundi is not a flavorful fish, but, if properly prepared, is tasty.  Lukewarm Escargots?  Quickly eat the snails and use the bread to sop up the broth!

20 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Because we live in a it’s only about me society. 

How did we ever get to this situation?  I know that I was not raised with that mind set and I don't think you were either.  What in the h&^l did our generation fail to do that has promoted this cultural shift? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Tends to be.  Barramundi is not a flavorful fish, but, if properly prepared, is tasty.  Lukewarm Escargots?  Quickly eat the snails and use the bread to sop up the broth!

How did we ever get to this situation?  I know that I was not raised with that mind set and I don't think you were either.  What in the h&^l did our generation fail to do that has promoted this cultural shift? 

We invented the internet!🤔

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We invented the internet!🤔

This answer to my question is superficial.  Yes, the internet is a factor.  Remember Paul Harvey and his radio reports on Sunday night?   "And, this is the rest of the story".  I heard that for many years.  There is more to this "story" than pointing the finger at the internet. 

• Like 2