Juneau Advice

dfencecoach

Tracy's Crab Shack is popular. You can ride the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts. For Princess, it was the same price ($25) on the ship as buying it online for non-Elite passengers. You can tour the State Capitol and the State Museum. You can take a public bus to Mendenhall Glacier (if you're willing to walk a little over a mile each way from the bus stop to the visitors center). Otherwise there are shuttle buses available that cost a lot more.

On my last cruise, I ate at the Salmon Spot and Deckhand Dave's Fish Tacos--two food trucks. Both were great. 

• Like 1

We did a short fly-in trip to Juneau in June and ate quite a few times at Hanger on the Wharf -- see link below.  We are light eaters so we had salads and sandwich but portions were large and good.  Extremely popular place and always seemed to be a sizeable wait for those without reservations.  So, if interested, especially with a large group, make sure to make reservations. 

https://www.hangaronthewharf.com/dinner-menu

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dfencecoach said:

We have a group of 12 going next summer.  We are wanting to have dinner in a local restaurant.  Any suggestions? What are some things to do during the visit without doing an excursion?  Thanks for your help.

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau is walking distance from the dock, a good option in lieu of an excursion.  It's a sizeable museum housed in a beautiful new building.

https://museums.alaska.gov/asm/

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dfencecoach said:

We have a group of 12 going next summer.  We are wanting to have dinner in a local restaurant.  Any suggestions? What are some things to do during the visit without doing an excursion?  Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau is walking distance from the dock, a good option in lieu of an excursion.  It's a sizeable museum housed in a beautiful new building.

Well worth the time and effort.  There are many Galleries and the exhibits are interesting.

20 hours ago, geoherb said:

You can tour the State Capitol

It is an interesting tour when it is available and it costs $0.00.  The Governor's Mansion is nearby, but I am not sure if tours are available there.  (They once were, I think.)  

5 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We did a short fly-in trip to Juneau in June and ate quite a few times at Hanger on the Wharf

Alaska Fish & Chips Company is located in the same building as Hanger on the Wharf.  It has an outdoor and indoor dining space; probably is not as large as Hanger.  I dined on the best Halibut and Chips at that restaurant that I have ever had.  With as large of a party that you will have, this restaurant may not be the best for your group.  Give them a call; maybe they can accommodate that sized of a group.  

On 8/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, PNW Traveler said:

Thanks for that suggestion!  I am sailing 2 weeks from Thursday and didn't want to do an excursion in every port this trip.  This museum sounds like a good alternative🙂. I have been to Juneau multiple times  but  have never visited  the museum before.

• Like 1

Local bus to Mendenhall Glacier was $30 per person (we just came back August 1st from Princess’ inaugural cruise). From the bus, there’s a boardwalk and the stream should be getting salmon coming in the next few weeks. The free Visitor Center is up the hill - definitely less than a mile walk. From the visitor center to the closest place to the glacier and waterfall  is 1 mile - well groomed, flat trail, well worth the walk if you are able…

The public bus is $2 each way, exact change only. That's the option that has a little over a mile walk to the visitors center. There are local shuttles that depart from the parking lot near the base of the tramway. Those will take you closer.

5 hours ago, julia said:

We are interested in the Alaska State Museum in Juneau, but it's only open Wed - Sun.  Our ship is in port on a Monday.  Does anyone know if they've extended their days since cruises resumed?

Not that I know of. In my town, a lot of museums are closed on Mondays. But of course we don't have cruise ships coming to Raleigh. My ship will be there on a Tuesday, when the museum is also closed. I went there in 2019--my first time seeing the museum's new building. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

You probably should contact someone at the museum. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, julia said:

We are interested in the Alaska State Museum in Juneau, but it's only open Wed - Sun.  Our ship is in port on a Monday.  Does anyone know if they've extended their days since cruises resumed?

As geoherb suggested, give the Museum a call.  

On 8/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, julia said:

I was there today. The hours haven’t changed.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, julia said:

In the past the Alaska State Museum website has always been accurate and up-to-date in their hours.