Travel warning by CDC

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Just as the summer cruise travel season begins, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has elevated its COVID-19 warning level for three popular Caribbean island destinations, placing them at Level 3. Anguilla, Jamaica, and Turks & Caicos have all been moved to the “high” risk category.

The CDC revised the travel warning level for Anguilla, Jamaica, and Turks & Caicos on May 31, 2022.

Turks & Caicos is another very popular Caribbean port of call, and Grand Turk is a cruise passenger favorite. All major cruise lines visit Grand Turk, which is ideal for snorkeling, diving, and other water sports, and the island has already received more than 170,000 cruise guests in 2022.

At this time, no cruise lines have altered itineraries or changed port visit plans due to this change in CDC travel warning level.

Turks Caicos has very few cases and no hospitalizations.  At the end of May removed their mask mandates for vaccinated  visitors.  Most cases in the islands are on Providenciales (24).  GT had 2.

CDC is a bureaucracy and similar to the FDA in handling the formula catastrophe, is always way behind the current situation and looks toward being most risk adverse in giving advise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC is still wasting their time with those?

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Somebody looking to get that last bullet point for their annual review (internal review of course….sure be nice if it was an external review).

Cruising had restarted and people were going when practically the entire Caribbean was listed as category 3. Pathetic attempt to hold onto some semblance of relevancy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Cruising had restarted and people were going when practically the entire Caribbean was listed as category 3. Pathetic attempt to hold onto some semblance of relevancy.

Well the Monkeypox scare sure died out quickly once people found out how most people were catching it.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

On 8/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I’m vaccinated, I don’t care 

I'm pro vaccine, in fact DH and I are fully vaxed and double boosted.  I'm a nurse and have worked through this pandemic and remained virus free.  However, 5 days into a recent trip to Florida DH got sick and tested positive.  A few days later I was sick and tested positive.  We were both pretty sick.  I called all around trying to get monoclonal antibodies, but none to be had.  Just a warning that even vaxed, you can still be pretty miserable.  We were useless for about 10 days.  DH has some pre-existing conditions; I have none.  Same thing with my young and healthy son and DIL who live in LA.  They were both pretty sick too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I'm pro vaccine, in fact DH and I are fully vaxed and double boosted.  I'm a nurse and have worked through this pandemic and remained virus free.  However, 5 days into a recent trip to Florida DH got sick and tested positive.  A few days later I was sick and tested positive.  We were both pretty sick.  I called all around trying to get monoclonal antibodies, but none to be had.  Just a warning that even vaxed, you can still be pretty miserable.  We were useless for about 10 days.  DH has some pre-existing conditions; I have none.  Same thing with my young and healthy son and DIL who live in LA.  They were both pretty sick too. 

Yeppers.  Some one, forgot who-wasn't Fauci or Brix, said early on that even with a vaccine, we'll get COVID again and again and again.....

17 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Yeppers.  Some one, forgot who-wasn't Fauci or Brix, said early on that even with a vaccine, we'll get COVID again and again and again.....

As miserable as we both felt, at least neither of us wound up on a ventilator or worse.  Obviously with hospitalizations and deaths down, the vaccine is effective.  I don't care if it becomes an annual vaccine, like the flu vaccine.  I wish the vaccine was available before Covid took my Mom's life in March 2020.

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 12

On 9/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, karena1 said:

When we were in the Bahamas on Adventure we had to wear masks on the islands everywhere except when on the beach.  Cancun only had to wear them walking into stores.  In Punta Cana we did not have to wear them outside the airport when waiting for our transfer, did not wear them in the transfer vehicle and did not have to wear them anywhere outside at the resort.  

I hope they provide them because I don't plan on bringing any with me. 

Sorta/kinda off topic: 

I felt like I was on one of these CruiseCritic threads about COVID restrictions, etc.,  this morning while texting with my adult son.  He's going to Italy the end of next week.  I offered up some of my N95 masks I have in the package.  He said Italy lifted it's travel restrictions on 6/1.

I started chuckling, because here I was going out, finding an article about the 6/1 changes, copying and pasting the "EU has lifted the airplane mask mandate, except for Italy, who requires them on planes and also crowded indoor venues."  I could here him sighing from 4 miles away.................."OK, Mom.  Bring the masks when you drive us to the airport".

😄

Edited by pcur
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Thank you for providing useful datapoint.

Might be lost on the current crowd on these boards

("I want to do DUI - others give up their right to drive if scared")

Each is entitled their own judgement on risk/reward but real life datapoint is very useful.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 3

When i learned canada is considered a level 3, i thought the rating system was completely ridiculous. I’m from canada and it is not high risk. Maybe these level 4 designations are something to pay attention too. I can’t say as i question cdc’s judgement.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, jerseygirl3 said:

As miserable as we both felt, at least neither of us wound up on a ventilator or worse.  Obviously with hospitalizations and deaths down, the vaccine is effective.  I don't care if it becomes an annual vaccine, like the flu vaccine.  I wish the vaccine was available before Covid took my Mom's life in March 2020.

Thank you for your post. Sorry for the loss of your mom.  I am getting my second booster tomorrow even though Im aware it wont provide me much long term infection protection. Its been 7 months since my first booster so Im due for a boost since Im traveling in a couple weeks.

Yes i’m debating whether to take a cruise right now. Its not about the health effects its about having to quarantine for 10 days in a foreign country if i get it. I’m from vancouver and may just take an alaskan next year so i can quarantine at home. Cruises are riskier for getting covid i don’t think anyone can deny that although i think some people will try.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, jerseygirl3 said:

I’m so sorry about your mother. We buried two teachers at my school in the last six months. COVID has taken so much from so many. I wish folks would be kind about it. But I realize asking kindness of anyone on any side of any issue now is just too much. 

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, jerseygirl3 said:

I have heard from our doctor they are not really using the monoclonal antibody as it doesn't really work with omicron. It worked well with delta or the original strain but not omicron.   Maybe you should have asked for Paxlovid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have heard from our doctor they are not really using the monoclonal antibody as it doesn't really work with omicron. It worked well with delta or the original strain but not omicron.   Maybe you should have asked for Paxlovid.

My husband cannot take Paxlovid because he's on a blood thinner and its contraindicated. 

• Like 1

Recently we all had to register for Bermuda $40 per passengers times 2,400 passengers form online $96,000 for one ship to dock! Only beach open was horseshoe packed us into van elbows touching we’re wearing masks not everyone wearing mask! Nobody checked us about vaccinated cards etc on Bermuda! Money grab and nightmare getting test in!

We get home both have Covid-19 on pav medication and recovery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joesantos said:

Recently we all had to register for Bermuda $40 per passengers times 2,400 passengers form online $96,000 for one ship to dock! Only beach open was horseshoe packed us into van elbows touching we’re wearing masks not everyone wearing mask! Nobody checked us about vaccinated cards etc on Bermuda! Money grab and nightmare getting test in!

We get home both have Covid-19 on pav medication and recovery.

I can only assume they didn't check your vax status in Bermuda since it was already done when you boarded the ship.    Horseshoe Bay is always a popular beach.  We usually hop on local bus and go to a secluded beach as they are all over the the island.

Sorry you now have covid.  Hopefully symptoms are mild and you recover soon.

Yes, I agree the Bermuda TA is definitely a money grab at least they stopped the need to upload test results last month.   

I feel bad for all the passengers currently on Adventure that was redirected to Canada to avoid the storm Alex.   They probably will have no luck in getting the $40 back from Bermuda.

On 6/5/2022 at 2:11 AM, Wineaux007 said:

Anyone concerned just should not cruise.  There's a certain amount of risk involved in life.  If you can't take it, just stay home.  

That's good advice... I like sailing on ships at 50% capacity, easier to get a table in the windjammer,  easier to get a seat at venues, easier to get served at the bars.