Current Passport Processing Times

BlerkOne

Took a passport renewal form to the Post Office today. Expedited, they say we will have it by Oct 26. Guess the next cruise is on a birth certificate. By appointment, many post offices can also take passport photos for $15.

I renewed my kids passports yesterday and chose expedited. The post office said expedited is now at 12 weeks. We will be cutting it close for our December cruise. I goofed on their renewals. I thought they had another year left on their expired passports. My husband and I mailed our renewals in early June. We were told up to 18 weeks. We did not chose expedited at ours.  But I got

mine in the mail last week (less than 2 months turn around) Husband’s still hasn’t arrived. So timing is all over the place. 

I mailed in my expired passport by certified mail at end of May. (from AZ  to PA.) I tracked It and know It was delivered in 3 days. I received an email from the passport office at the end of June, that they received  my paperwork for renewal. I did not need  it to be expedited, so processing  will be up to 18 weeks. Will wait and see!

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Took a passport renewal form to the Post Office today. Expedited, they say we will have it by Oct 26. Guess the next cruise is on a birth certificate. By appointment, many post offices can also take passport photos for $15.

On June 23rd, we applied for 3 renewals of expired passports witj one name change and 3 new passports and all but 1 have been received by mail with the last one just approved with an expected date of Aug 6 so that would be 6 total examples within 6 weeks using expedited service.

7 hours ago, clo said:

AFAIK you can renew your passport any time you want. Years in advance. Again AFAIK.

You are correct.  Mine expires in February, 2022.  Knowing how long it is taking, I mailed my renewal in on June 10th.  They said it would take 10-12 weeks for the renewal.  

I just checked the passport site to see the status and this is what it said:  "You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 12 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time."

I strongly suggest that if anyone's passport expires within the next few months, that they renew them now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

You are correct.  Mine expires in February, 2022.  Knowing how long it is taking, I mailed my renewal in on June 10th.  They said it would take 10-12 weeks for the renewal.  

I just checked the passport site to see the status and this is what it said:  "You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 12 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time."

I strongly suggest that if anyone's passport expires within the next few months, that they renew them now.

Few months, yes, good advice but why would anyone renew years in advance? Your passport is only good 5 years from your renewal date—-not from the original expiration date so it is a waste of money to do it more than 6 months early unless there is a reason you will need to use it every month later on.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

5 years? My passport says 10 years........I got this one in 2013.......it says it expires in 2023.

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Nope,  10 years,  passports for minor children are good for 5 years

Yup. My brain was on vacation for a bit today. 10 years but still only from when you renew so no point in renewing years early.

Here's my renewals timeline in case it's helpful:

- Applied July 6, paid for expedited and fast return shipping, sent USPS overnight

- Started showing status of 'Processing' on July 10

- Went to 'Approved' today August 4

- Due to arrive by August 6

That makes for approx. 4 weeks turn-around time, so in line with what Fury was seeing as well. Their 6 to 12 weeks estimate for expedited is definitely on the high side of reality. (Assuming there are no problems to fix with your application)

Having said that, do NOT delay if you need to renew. With more people deciding to fly/cruise/travel in the fall it could spike again any time. 

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time."

Can anyone explain this???  6 weeks for mail!  I'm not a big fan of the USPS, but they've never been anywhere near this slow.  Sounds like someone's throwing the USPS under the bus to cover for their poor performance.  I could be wrong.

27 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Can anyone explain this???  6 weeks for mail!  I'm not a big fan of the USPS, but they've never been anywhere near this slow.  Sounds like someone's throwing the USPS under the bus to cover for their poor performance.  I could be wrong.

"Could add" 6 weeks. I don't think it really would, but say this to  cover their "behinds"😇 imo.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 8:43 AM, 2wheelin said:

Few months, yes, good advice but why would anyone renew years in advance? Your passport is only good 5 years from your renewal date—-not from the original expiration date so it is a waste of money to do it more than 6 months early unless there is a reason you will need to use it every month later on.

You responded to someone’s August post mentioning renewing a passport expiring in February 2022 - which IS a prudent 6 months early.  Also — passports are generally good for 10 years.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You responded to someone’s August post mentioning renewing a passport expiring in February 2022 - which IS a prudent 6 months early.  Also — passports are generally good for 10 years.

You really need to read all the posts in a thread before responding a month later.

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Clo recommended years in advance if you wanted—to which I responded. Reading comprehension is a gift.

• Haha 1

My last two passport renewals 2011 & 2021 (April) have both taken less than 14 days. Both done ast a US Embassy outside of the United States. But the passports are made by the US Department of State and delivered to the US Embassy.  You can get a passport renewed within a couple of days if you have a travel date set within the week.   So if you apply under the normal or expedited process and your passport is not back you can apply under the emergency renewal.  

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/emergency-passport-renewal.html

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Clo recommended years in advance if you wanted—to which I responded. Reading comprehension is a gift.

No -- I commented upon your response to a poster who was talking about applying about six months in advance -- in which you referred to a five year (rather than the actual ten year) life of a passport.

I can understand your embarrassment.

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

No -- I commented upon your response to a poster who was talking about applying about six months in advance -- in which you referred to a five year (rather than the actual ten year) life of a passport.

I can understand your embarrassment.

Thank you for telling me what I did/said as I am sure you know that much better than I. Again, if you read the posts you would not be embarrassing yourself by posting again.

Just now, 2wheelin said:

Thank you for telling me what I did/said as I am sure you know that much better than I. Again, if you read the posts you would not be embarrassing yourself by posting again.

I have no cause to feel embarrassment.  You, on the other hand, seem to lack knowledge about the length of time passports remain valid, and seem unable to accept the necessity in these times of allowing six or more months to obtain a renewal.

I see no reason to be embarrassed about repeating valid points.

Think about it-  but please try to accept my disinterest in further conversation with you.

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have no cause to feel embarrassment.  You, on the other hand, seem to lack knowledge about the length of time passports remain valid, and seem unable to accept the necessity in these times of allowing six or more months to obtain a renewal.

Think about it-  but please try to accept my disinterest in further conversation with you.

My comment IIRC is that one may/can renew whenever one wants. I just checked mine recently and I have a number of years. Will likely renew six months out.

Here's the timeline for my wife's passport renewal:

July 12, 2021 - Submitted renewal application for passport and also requested a passport card

August 4, 2021 - Checked was cashed

September 1, 2021 - New Passport arrived in the mail

September 3, 2021 - Old passport and passport card arrived in the mail

Approximately 8 weeks for renewal.

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

LOL. Again, if you actually read the posts you would see how ridiculous your comments are. Try to keep up.  Goodbye

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

LOL. Again, if you actually read the posts you would see how ridiculous your comments are. Try to keep up.  Goodbye

I did read them, and i pointed out to you the errors in your post.

I am sorry that you are unable to deal with error --apparently preferring to take a pointless offensive -- but, to each his own.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:43 AM, 2wheelin said:

Just for reference -- it is not five years, it is ten --- and the person this post responded to had  mentioned renewing about six months out, not "...years in advance."

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1