Covid testing for cruising

With so much info out there, I am thoroughly confused right now. It is hard to decipher what is true, what is just false and what is, well I don't know.

So, can I throw a few questions out there and maybe some can supply some answers.

As of now, you need to have a negative Covid test and be vaccinated to board a ship--correct?

I would assume if you have a positive test before boarding, you will not be allowed to board

Are people being tested while on board?

Are passengers allowed off the ship, in ports without being on a ship excursion?

Do you have to be tested if you get off the ship, once you return to the ship?

And, maybe my most concerning question, say your ship docks in Tampa and you are flying home that day, do you need to show a negative test to fly?

If so, when do you get tested, on the ship? at who's expense?

If you do test positive and not allowed to fly, how long must you stay where you are before being allowed to fly (and test negative)?

I know it's a lot of questions, but, I'm sure, others want to know also, just don't want to ask.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Cheers

Len

17 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

As of now, you need to have a negative Covid test and be vaccinated to board a ship--correct?
From Florida, you don’t need to be vaccinated. 

I would assume if you have a positive test before boarding, you will not be allowed to board?

Correct  

Are people being tested while on board? Not usually out of the US. 

Are passengers allowed off the ship, in ports without being on a ship excursion? Varies by port. 

Do you have to be tested if you get off the ship, once you return to the ship?

Not usually 

And, maybe my most concerning question, say your ship docks in Tampa and you are flying home that day, do you need to show a negative test to fly?

Domestically, no. 

Some answers above. 

LOL, read them? I tried on the Celebrity CC to establish a Sticky without luck. Just look at all the postings on this subject. Then in each thread, all the different opinions.  

So, if there is one place to find exact,  Detailed, valid info, that would be nice. 

Stay Safe and happy cruising! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

LOL, read them? I tried on the Celebrity CC to establish a Sticky without luck. Just look at all the postings on this subject. Then in each thread, all the different opinions.  

So, if there is one place to find exact,  Detailed, valid info, that would be nice. 

Stay Safe and happy cruising! 

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have read so many different opinions, different facts, it would be nice to get something that I can believe is so.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have read so many different opinions, different facts, it would be nice to get something that I can believe is so.

Cheers

Len

You will never get "hard facts" here on CC, just opinion and knowledge of how it was on previous cruises.  Your best bet is to call your cruise line of choice early in the morning when you can sit and listen to elevator music for a few hours and speak to a representative.  For some of your questions (i.e., flying requirements), I would look at the TSA website. 

Not trying to be snarky, but things are changing day to day and week to week, so I do not believe anyone on CC can give you concrete information.  What may be in effect today could be completely different by Friday.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Month ago if you were to cruise out of Florida vaccinated (we did) tests were not needed, now it looks like tests to board happen anyway.

Maybe because of current deteriorating conditions in FL?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

I know it's a lot of questions, but, I'm sure, others want to know also, just don't want to ask.

Best way to get correct answers is to go to the cruise line's website, find their return to sailing page, select the state you will be cruising from and read the protocols for that state and date.

every line has different protocols, and every state has its own wrinkles. On RCL out of Florida for example, on eastern Caribbean cruises you have to both test negative pre-cruise and be fully vaccinated, but on western Caribbean cruises you only have to test negative pre cruise. If you are unvaccinated or don’t present your vaccination records you will also have to test 2-3 times during the cruise on western routes, but on eastern routes you will be denied boarding.

It is all as consistent and smooth as curdled milk.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

I would assume if you have a positive test before boarding, you will not be allowed to board.

If you do test positive and not allowed to fly, how long must you stay where you are before being allowed to fly (and test negative)?

I keep being surprised when people ask if they are positive can they board the ship. No

If you test positive while on the ship and wind up at the port, on carnival they left it up to her to get tested at CVS until she tested negative. She was not monitored, but its hoped if you did test positive you wouldn't board a plane positive and wait however long it takes to test negative. Could be 7 days could be 20, it's not a fixed amount.

She was tested because her kids tested positive, but contract traction could lead to you and you are tested .. but if vaccinated it's not something normally done unless you were in contact with someone positive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I keep being surprised when people ask if they are positive can they board the ship. No

If you test positive while on the ship and wind up at the port, on carnival they left it up to her to get tested at CVS until she tested negative. She was not monitored, but its hoped if you did test positive you wouldn't board a plane positive and wait however long it takes to test negative. Could be 7 days could be 20, it's not a fixed amount.

She was tested because her kids tested positive, but contract traction could lead to you and you are tested .. but if vaccinated it's not something normally done unless you were in contact with someone positive.

I worked in medical labs  for over 40 years and PCR testing is used as a screening test.   As a retired medical technologist and knowing what I know and I got a positive rapid test I would demand a immediate retesting.  If that one came back positive then OK.  But if it came back negative (and that is possible) then are you good to go?  Labs operate with a 95 (not 100) per cent confidence range.  (google it)

53 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

I worked in medical labs  for over 40 years and PCR testing is used as a screening test.   As a retired medical technologist and knowing what I know and I got a positive rapid test I would demand a immediate retesting.  If that one came back positive then OK.  But if it came back negative (and that is possible) then are you good to go?  Labs operate with a 95 (not 100) per cent confidence range.  (google it)

No idea why you are quoting me but ok.

The positive lady on carnival was retested of course, not just once and was still positive. Got off tested at CVS and still was positive, so that's why she didnt fly home, but she was tested more than once as were her kids and husband. Just her and son were positive not daughter or husband. 

So it is possible you are vaccinated and get tested while onboard and test positive. .which is what the op asked. 

I think it's natural to be a little worried about testing positive. I got a niggle of worry. 

20 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You are asking redundant questions that are already being actively  asked and answered in the other threads,  please read them . 

To be fair, the rules change minute to minute. Yesterday's thread is probably outdated information. The answers for today will expire at midnight.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies.

We just had an Enchantment cruise for December cancelled and we were looking for some answers for rebooking somewhere, somehow. But, as has been said, what are the rules now, may not be next week, next month and who knows what Fall will bring.

Cheers

Len