Can we make an 11:20 flight from Barcelona after Azamara cruise?

Lindy028

Looking for some advice, we’ve bitten the bullet and booked an Azamara cruise Lisbon to Barcelona next March, only problem is flight home is 11:20. Is that doable if we self debark. Just so delighted to have something to look forward to, it is so long since we were last on a cruise.

All advice very much appreciated.

Difficult to tell to be honest.  Barcelona airport can be very busy and the routes into it can be a bit congested (and prone to demonstrators closing them off so cabs have to find other routes).  You should be able to find a taxi at the port no problem, self debark should be available from about 8 (latest) so you would make the airport around 9.  The one thing we do not yet know is what post covid are the "challenges" both at the port and at the airport - does the cruise dock in Barcelona the day before, if it does that will be a help as there would not be a clearance delay on disembarkation day and you could self disembark really early.

Edited by uktog

Thanks for that uktog, must admit we were of the mindset that things may be near normal by then, wishful thinking on our part I know. We arrive in Barcelona on April 2nd, which is a Saturday, which may or may not help! We don’t really want to stay overnight as we have a family occasion on 3rd. I will check BA, although that will mean the shuttle from Heathrow to Manchester, done that so many times in the past, much prefer direct flights!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Check to see how many other ships are in port that day.  That can impact the wait for a taxi.  

Thanks, just did that, only Pursuit, but could that change as more cruises get going!

We've done it. It is a bit nerve wracking, port to airport might be 15 minutes from the dock, and in days of yore, we had on line checking, I'm not certain what the current situation is. Finding out just where your check in counter is can be a challenge. Bottom line is that the airport is very, very close to the dock, and taxis are available. If you're off the ship by 8-8:30, you are at the terminal by 9-9:15. That still leaves you more than an hour of fudge time before you really need to be at the gate.  You've got better things to worry about with your planning. Have a wonderful trip.

Perhaps a slight deviation from the question asked, but, it was a shock to the system to find we were docked out with the big ships late in 2019, when there was space available at the World Trade Centre.

On numerous occasions previously the World Trade Centre was our docking spot with easy walking access to the city.

Also late in 2019, we were docked on the "opposite" side in Valletta, Malta. Adding insult to injury was the fact that no transport was provided by the port after they changed our booked docking space to accommodate two monstrosities of the sea.

Azamara crew, mainly Ryszard, pulled out all stops to provide transport for us across the water, instead of having to go by road for an hour or so.

11 hours ago, Lindy028 said:

Looking for some advice, we’ve bitten the bullet and booked an Azamara cruise Lisbon to Barcelona next March, only problem is flight home is 11:20. Is that doable if we self debark. Just so delighted to have something to look forward to, it is so long since we were last on a cruise.

All advice very much appreciated.

I would recommend prebooking a private transfer and leaving the ship as early as you can. 

• Like 1

Just a little warning. My daughter flew back from Corfu on Saturday. They arrived at the airport 2 and a half hours before their flight, but check-in took    an hour and three-quarters. That was because the check-in staff were checking vaccine certificates and test results as well as all the usual stuff. Even if you can ‘check-in’ online ahead of time, you would still have to have these checks done.

Of course next March is a long time away and a lot may change by then.

• Like 3

Many thanks to everyone for your help. We have decided to go for it, we will leave the ship as early as possible and will pre book a car to take us to the airport.

we have used Blacklane in the past so will probably go with them.
So excited to be booked onto a cruise at last, it’s just good to have something to look forward to. Due to various family problems and our cruise being cancelled in March 2020 due to Covid, it is nearly 3 years since we had a break. Booked direct with Azamara, no problems, used our FCC with no problem and confirmation email came through within 5 minutes! It will be very interesting to see if there are any changes due to the new ownership, hopefully only positive ones!

Meant to say. The official Port of Barcelona website that you can find on Google has a port schedule that will show you which ships are in and where they will dock that will hopefully be updated nearer the time so you'll know where to get to the airport from. 

Enjoy your cruise!😎

Phil 

I would try and have a plan B in mind as airline schedules will often change this far out. I think  Vueling have a flight to Manchester at 1250 which looks direct. We are joining the ship on the 2nd and hopefully by then the world will have calmed down a little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Meant to say. The official Port of Barcelona website that you can find on Google has a port schedule that will show you which ships are in and where they will dock that will hopefully be updated nearer the time so you'll know where to get to the airport from. 

Enjoy your cruise!😎

Phil 

Thanks Phil will keep checking. We will definitely enjoy the cruise, no matter what, we just need a relaxing holiday and for us there is nothing more relaxing than a cruise!

We will be looking at further afield once we see how things pan out re Covid, feel more at ease sticking to the Med for now.

8 hours ago, john1970 said:

I would try and have a plan B in mind as airline schedules will often change this far out. I think  Vueling have a flight to Manchester at 1250 which looks direct. We are joining the ship on the 2nd and hopefully by then the world will have calmed down a little.

Hi John, we have used Vueling before but they completely went out of my head, we haven’t had a great experience with them but at least that is a back up, so thank you!

So, you join as we go off, we will do our best to leave you some Gin, but cannot guarantee it will be a lot! 🍸😀

It will be interesting to see what mixers we can expect, hopefully not the dreaded Royal Club, happy with Schweppes, even happier with Fever Tree, we can but hope!

4 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

Just tell guest services that you want to disembark early.  We got off the Quest at 4:00 am one time in Nice and took a private car to the airport.  Of course there was no traffic and we arrived way too early. 

That's fine if you arrive the day before and overnight at the end. I've done it too, but I don't think Pursuit is doing that. She arrives at 6am on disembarkation day. 

There's no need to let Guest Relations know. You will have completed your disembarkation questionnaire indicating that you want to get off early.  You might just want to check it with them the day before what time you can be away. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, Wheelhouse said:

Just tell guest services that you want to disembark early.  We got off the Quest at 4:00 am one time in Nice and took a private car to the airport.  Of course there was no traffic and we arrived way too early. 

I would not risk an 1120 flight at present. It may well be better(or worse) by March. Of course we all hope for better!

This is part of what we recently received prior to our cruise booked for later next year :

"We anticipate that disembarkation will take place at scheduled times and in notified groups.

No special requests for early or delayed disembarkation can be accommodated due to the current health and safety processes in place.

After your cruise
Disembarkation, customs clearance, immigration and health screening checks will be carried out in strict compliance with local port regulations.

This may cause some delay in your homeward or onward journey, and while we apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused, we do not assume any liability for resulting disruption caused by our compliance with health and safety procedures and/or local regulations applied from time-to-time."

Based on my experience a few yrs ago(2018) I would say yes. We skipped breakfast and took our own luggage off at about 7 am.There was an abundance of taxis waiting at the port. Trip to airport isn't that long and that early the airport wasn't too busy. We made a 10 am flight .

The flight schedule may very well change by next March so consider that as well.