Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

34 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But it was reported on night two you could get lobster tail.

True but it may have been only the lobster tail that one night to convince people to accept an alternative location due to overflow. I can tell you the menu tonight was only the Mardi Gras +More options. I specifically asked if we wanted an item from the night’s MDR menu could we order it here at Chibang and he said no. 

Could be a fluid situation and maybe a standard practice will be established in coming weeks but clearly there are problems to solve at the moment and this week the solution was lobster at those two additional locations. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

True but it may have been only the lobster tail that one night to convince people to accept an alternative location due to overflow. I can tell you the menu tonight was only the Mardi Gras +More options. I specifically asked if we wanted an item from the night’s MDR menu could we order it here at Chibang and he said no. 

Could be a fluid situation and maybe a standard practice will be established in coming weeks but clearly there are problems to solve at the moment and this week the solution was lobster at those two additional locations. 

Thank you Kmom.  It's so nice to get firsthand reports from someone who is actually on the ship!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, surfjock27 said:

I’ve never seen DOND on a ship before! How is it played/contestants picked? 

Sorry we just came in at the end to watch the Flying Scotsman which was right after. Not sure. The audience was loving it and the contestant won 1000 bucks to much fanfare. But it looked boring to me and I never liked that show on TV either. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, surfjock27 said:

I’ve never seen DOND on a ship before! How is it played/contestants picked? 

We played this on Vista last month. They sell cards with "suitcase" tabs on them (20 tabs i believe), ea have a dollar amount under the tabs, and you play along with the contestant that is chosen by the bar code on the card they bought ($25/1 card or 2 for $40). So for example, if the contestant chooses suitcase #5 on the board on stage, the audience also opens their #5 suitcase tab on their card. Prizes are given away for 2 or more matches, such as bingo pkgs, internet pkgs, etc. Really fun game! 

• Like 3

😂 To think, we used to use those retractable clothes lines for hand washing  things like swimsuits or maybe underwear. 

Cruising is back, folks, and yet it may never be quite the same.

30CEF45A-5127-4BE6-B387-3CABD4E772AB.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, POACruzer said:

Sorry to disappoint, @busymomintc ,I am not UPC (had to google what that meant lol). My uncreative name was created in haste to prepare for my Hawaii cruise on NCL Pride of America. Most of the folks refer to it as POA, so I slapped Cruzer on the end and there was my username.I figure most people do not know what it means, especially on a Carnival board.

My last three cruises were NCL and Royal, and I cannot wait to get back to Carnival. The Mardi Gras has me excited about cruising again! Not really sure if we will be sailing on Sep 11th, or if we will postpone/cancel. We will give it a few weeks to see how things play out with the new mask and testing requirements.

Oh my; don't I feel silly!  There is a very large church in Alexandria that is called POA for short so I mistakenly connected POA and Louisiana in the wrong manner.  In any event, we're really excited for our cruise as well which is the end of October.  We were initially on the 14 day positioning cruise from New York to Port Canaveral, had to rebook for this past January then of course had to rebook again.  We've only cruised on Carnival so can't compare to other cruise lines but we are excited for Mardi Gras.  I hope things play out the way you desire with the new requirements to still make your cruise.  It certainly seems like things could change quite a bit between now and then.

• Like 1

My family is spread out in 3 cabins and we’re all mostly doing our own things so last night at Chibang was our first time all together to really catch up in a couple of days. My aunt said suddenly, I hear you’re a cruise blogger now. 

I wouldn’t say that. Maybe a reviewer who likes to keep busy with little exploration jobs per request. Maybe when I retire from pharma in 20 years, well into my seventies. Maybe if I didn’t blow my $$ on premium interior cabins I could retire sooner. 

Which reminds me, today is my last day of being age 54. It’s been quite a run, certainly a weird year to remember how good we really had it. Came out of it with two beloved rescue cats and a volunteer gig at their shelter and unexpectedly on the second revenue sailing of Carnival’s Mardi Gras. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🏖🏖🤢🤢😀😊😇🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😡🤬🥵🥶🥶🥶😬🙄🙄🙄😹😹😻😻😻😺😺😸😸😸🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 13

Well now I gotta show you the cats. Grumpy old female chonk about 11 years old who is mean as crap to the 2 year old sweet fine ginger tuxedo boi we added to keep her company a couple months later. They both love all of us though and he keeps trying to make friends with her. Yes our luggage, furniture and decor are ancient and cheap and dated but I really don’t care.

1B392077-5E1D-406A-BB2C-4F558616F742.jpeg

F4051343-F0BB-44DA-8882-D8C4011EDC10.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Thank you Kmom.  It's so nice to get firsthand reports from someone who is actually on the ship!

You’re welcome. It’s a little challenging because we haven’t personally done dinner in the MDR yet ourselves and we didn’t get involved with the Day 2 lobster situation at all. Just relaying the announcements from the Scotsman that we were not really even paying that much attention to.

• Like 1

Going to Daniel Johnson’s Sloth and Monkey hangout today in Roatan (on Roatan? Which is the right way to say it?) 

Just bought the ride over, entrance to the hangout and ride back. Husband says our plan doesn’t cover roaming in Honduras and so no taking the devices off airplane mode lest we incur hundreds of dollars of extra charges. 

Last port day. I doubt we’ll venture over to our private sandy beach later but I guess we’ll see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

My family is spread out in 3 cabins and we’re all mostly doing our own things so last night at Chibang was our first time all together to really catch up in a couple of days. My aunt said suddenly, I hear you’re a cruise blogger now. 

I wouldn’t say that. Maybe a reviewer who likes to keep busy with little exploration jobs per request. Maybe when I retire from pharma in 20 years, well into my seventies. Maybe if I didn’t blow my $$ on premium interior cabins I could retire sooner. 

Which reminds me, today is my last day of being age 54. It’s been quite a run, certainly a weird year to remember how good we really had it. Came out of it with two beloved rescue cats and a volunteer gig at their shelter and unexpectedly on the second revenue sailing of Carnival’s Mardi Gras. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🏖🏖🤢🤢😀😊😇🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😡🤬🥵🥶🥶🥶😬🙄🙄🙄😹😹😻😻😻😺😺😸😸😸🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴⛴🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎁🍾

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have never been up early enough to see the towel animal chair take-over.   Thanks

Goodness !!!🙄 You'd think on a NEW ship, some how the pool attendants would finally figure out HOW to send those 'pesky' chair hogs back to their 'slop pens' (maybeeee with 'post-it-notes' too the effect, 'After ONE hour towel will be removed'). Guess it's gonna always be a problem when you have people who think THEY are important enough too dictate everything belongs to them as long as they want it. Reminds me of a six year old child who sees toys on the floor, runs up and grabs more than they could possibly use and SCREAMS, ' Mine ! Mine ! All Mine !, while glaring at everybody !.

Mac

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Can you find out any information about the cooking classes?  Pricing?  Options?

I saw on another thread from a poster on MG ( can’t remember who it was) that the classes are $30. They also posted the schedule for the week,  there were a lot of classes! I will see if I can find that post