Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

Before she was launched I had heard that the Palm venue was being used for the YTD, is this still the case? I've checked other sites online since July 31 but they don't address which venue is being used. Would you happen to know which is assigned for it.

Thanks for any info....

Mac

13 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Before she was launched I had heard that the Palm venue was being used for the YTD, is this still the case? I've checked other sites online since July 31 but they don't address which venue is being used. Would you happen to know which is assigned for it.

Thanks for any info....

Mac

No, at the moment Palm is early and late seatings and the smaller Flamingo is YTD.

• Thanks 1

Why bother going to the Flamingo dining room?   I am going to book six out of our seven nights at Chibang and Cucina.  You have the option to mix and match the specialty menus as well as anything that may spark your interest from the MDR, such as Bitter n Blanc or Grand Marnier Souffle for dessert.  And of course lobster, prime rib and filet mignon from the cruise elegant nights.  You also don't have to deal with the extended wait time for YTD during busy time from 630-745.  When you are waiting to embark in the seating area, you can access the HUB app and make all of your reservations just prior to you actually stepping onto the ship.  The 7th night of dining will be at Guy's for either the Saturday special of 7 oz filet or Sunday special of 10 oz NY Strip.

Rudi's Seagrill looks fantastic, especially the crab imperial stuffed lobster tail, but it'll have to wait until our B2B next year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrak said:

Would you mind taking a screen shot or picture of the Watering Hole and Red Frog Tiki Bar Menus? Thanks in advance! 

Here is a link to all of the menu options for the new tiki bar.  Some of them look great.  No prices though.

https://cruiseradio.net/menu-redfrog-tiki-bar-on-carnivals-mardi-gras/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

At Chibang now. It is NOT the whole MDR dinner menu, just the Mardi Gras and more options. Confirmed with the servers. 

Thank you for verifying KMom. It is a very important distinction. At least for me 😆 

I was hoping we could go to cucina/chibang and not miss any must haves from MDR. Now I will just have to go through each MDR menu and see which ones we can axe. If we go to smokehouse, cucina, and chibang that is three nights to cut. Decisions decisions…

I was originally thinking of doing exactly what SNJCruisers suggested, but that does not look possible now.

Edited by POACruzer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, POACruzer said:

Thank you for verifying KMom. It is a very important distinction. At least for me 😆 

I was hoping we could go to cucina/chibang and not miss any must haves from MDR. Now I will just have to go through each MDR menu and see which ones we can axe. If we go to smokehouse, cucina, and chibang that is three nights to cut. Decisions decisions…

I was originally thinking of doing exactly what SNJCruisers suggested, but that does not look possible now.

Fully understand! I agree it’s a huge difference. I think this is better though. Having everything from a changing menu nightly plus the specialty menu is a lot of opportunity to screw up the servers IMHO. 

ParoDeeJay had a slow, noisy, crowded and mediocre experience at Chibang last week. I purposely waited until the 4th night of the cruise to allow all the eager beavers to get through.

we arrived at 5:21 with a party of 7 and no prior checkin. Seated immediately, restaurant was not overrun at opening tonight, and we were done in one hour and ten minutes. 

• Like 5

My meal. I forgot to take a pic of the lettuce wraps which were fine if unremarkable. Sweet and sour shrimp is an old favorite of mine but I haven’t had it in years. It was very tasty, loved the sauce; be aware you only get rice or noodles with it if you order one of those for your side. I tried yucca instead because I never had it before. It was okay, tasted fine but a little bland and dry, sort of potato-like. Portions look small but it’s enough instead of the more common way-too-much. I got the C-bang chocolate dessert which was similar to chocolate melting cake, a tasty brownie ish thing, a little moist in the middle, less so than the melting cake. I also had a really yummy lychee martini from the restaurant cocktail menu. 

So there you have it. Chibang! thoughts, courtesy of Kmom. I got nothing else to say about that. Unless ya got something else to ask. 

22060183-C411-480D-A889-FBCE10448664.jpeg

43D39332-2049-4D47-A907-23EBB86A5C3A.jpeg

478A8E17-5CB0-47C8-BA57-8BBC0646B3F5.jpeg

CB991BCC-C86F-434A-9709-7CEB1131FB31.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@KmomChicago are there being changes about sipping a drink at a bar?  I've been reading about "sip and cover".

Nobody at bars is covering. Period. You’re sitting at a bar with a drink, mask is off until the drink is gone. Masks are only being enforced when walking around the marketplace and dining rooms. We were told we had to wear at the 2 Mexican ports and most people are when not eating, drinking or swimming. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, POACruzer said:

Hi POACruzer!  I recognize POA 🙂  We're UPC as well.  When are you going to be sailing on Mardi Gras?  

Chris Williams, our CD, the amazing and talented Flying Scotsman. Yes he actually does a show. A real singing show, all by himself. We’ve already had one Queen song because Freddie Mercury is/was his favorite performer. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ And a really nice mix of other stuff he likes. 

03F56861-ACCD-4389-A4F9-28EAC75CB5CD.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, busymomintc said:

Hi POACruzer!  I recognize POA 🙂  We're UPC as well.  When are you going to be sailing on Mardi Gras?  

Sorry to disappoint, @busymomintc ,I am not UPC (had to google what that meant lol). My uncreative name was created in haste to prepare for my Hawaii cruise on NCL Pride of America. Most of the folks refer to it as POA, so I slapped Cruzer on the end and there was my username.I figure most people do not know what it means, especially on a Carnival board.

My last three cruises were NCL and Royal, and I cannot wait to get back to Carnival. The Mardi Gras has me excited about cruising again! Not really sure if we will be sailing on Sep 11th, or if we will postpone/cancel. We will give it a few weeks to see how things play out with the new mask and testing requirements.

Edited by POACruzer

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

My meal. I forgot to take a pic of the lettuce wraps which were fine if unremarkable. Sweet and sour shrimp is an old favorite of mine but I haven’t had it in years. It was very tasty, loved the sauce; be aware you only get rice or noodles with it if you order one of those for your side. I tried yucca instead because I never had it before. It was okay, tasted fine but a little bland and dry, sort of potato-like. Portions look small but it’s enough instead of the more common way-too-much. I got the C-bang chocolate dessert which was similar to chocolate melting cake, a tasty brownie ish thing, a little moist in the middle, less so than the melting cake. I also had a really yummy lychee martini from the restaurant cocktail menu. 

So there you have it. Chibang! thoughts, courtesy of Kmom. I got nothing else to say about that. Unless ya got something else to ask. 

22060183-C411-480D-A889-FBCE10448664.jpeg

43D39332-2049-4D47-A907-23EBB86A5C3A.jpeg

478A8E17-5CB0-47C8-BA57-8BBC0646B3F5.jpeg

CB991BCC-C86F-434A-9709-7CEB1131FB31.jpeg

I would hate for the sweet n sour shrimp to be the size of the entree if I was paying 15.00.  It's no where near the size of Jiji's.  Will be doing another comparison from Jiji's in August versus Chibang in October. 

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

For those asking about masks. People are wearing them somewhat but here we are at Deal or No Deal in Grand Central. They are on and off. People are mostly bringing them everywhere but often drop ‘em.

A24EFD05-F93C-4EF2-81E7-93133B30505E.jpeg

I’ve never seen DOND on a ship before! How is it played/contestants picked?