What if you are refused boarding because you can't get PCR in time due to being on different cruise line that won't do it?

ace2542

Cunard will not do PCR test onboard QM2 so we CANNOT get a PCR done in time to board Anthem the same day as we disembark QM2 in Brooklyn in November. Would we get refund we have booked through UK T/A and paid final bill already. It looks like we might have to book onto QM2 Caribbean journey instead.

Royal has the tests at the embarkation ports so I’d email them and explain your situation. I’d think they’d offer to test you at the port. You may have to pay for the test but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. These are challenging times for the companies as well as their customers and we’re all going to have to bend and adjust to get this going. Good luck!🍀 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Royal has the tests at the embarkation ports so I’d email them and explain your situation. I’d think they’d offer to test you at the port. You may have to pay for the test but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. These are challenging times for the companies as well as their customers and we’re all going to have to bend and adjust to get this going. Good luck!🍀 

You have to have a PCR 3 days prior to boarding no exceptions apparently. And we can't do that.

Edited by ace2542

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC will test you at check-in if you don't show up with a test result

Are you sure because we will be homeless in new york for 8 days if we are rejected from the anthem of the seas and about to spend another 2000 pounds we don't have to spend on cunard.

Edited by ace2542

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Are you sure because we will be homeless in new york for 8 days if we are rejected from the anthem of the seas and about to spend another 2000 pounds we don't have to spend on cunard.

Call RCCL with your questions.  Get the answers from them.  I doubt anyone on these boards has completed a back-to-back on different cruise lines yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Cunard will not do PCR test onboard QM2 so we CANNOT get a PCR done in time to board Anthem the same day as we disembark QM2 in Brooklyn in November. Would we get refund we have booked through UK T/A and paid final bill already. It looks like we might have to book onto QM2 Caribbean journey instead.

Sorry, sounds like you are SOL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You have to have a PCR 3 days prior to boarding no exceptions apparently. And we can't do that.

They have the rapid tests that they use on the unvaccinated. I’d definitely email them and tell them of your situation and not call so you have the response in writing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChC said:

PS, I think you are mad to book an itinerary like that for November. But good luck to you and I think it may just work out in the end.

We booked it 13 months ago and I personally think  a lot of miss-selling is going on here with the agencies selling cruises to places we are banned from by presidential order.

7 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

They have the rapid tests that they use on the unvaccinated. I’d definitely email them and tell them of your situation and not call so you have the response in writing. 

We shall ring them 2moro morning and see what they say. Thanks for the reply.

8 minutes ago, ChC said:

1, November is still far away, a third or fourth wave can ruin your plan

2, Travel ban is still in place if you are British passport holder without one of valid US visas. There is no indication when the travel ban will be lifted. If it is lifted the words on the street is that it will be a PHASED approach. 

3, No guarantee the Transatlantic cruise is a go yet

4, If you had your two doses of vaccine, the current rule says rapid antigen is acceptable. However, you need to watch whether a third booster is required by then or not.

So don't worry about this until early October. There is 50/50 chance that you won't make it, equally 50/50 chance that by then maybe a test is not required, or maybe a vendor in the cruise terminal will be able to give you result within 2 hours. 

1 I know and we get our money back if the lines cancel

2 We get our money back if the lines cancel again

3 Quite possibly. I personally do not think it will by.

4 If we get third dose we are getting the same doses or there is no point to going.

By early October there may not be any cabins left on QM2 2nd leg. A lot of people might face this problem you know. Might be a hundred or so doing this 2 ship 3 cruises thing.

7 minutes ago, ChC said:

The uncertainty will stop many people from even think about the itinerary. Don't trust your agent if the agent is claiming this cruise is selling out. It won't be. Few people might be holding but majority will be in a wait and see approach

I do call centre work I know how those guys roll. The agent will be disappointed 2moro. He has gone to bed tonight thinking he has a nailed on 3 grand booking 2moro at least as only balconies are open on QM2. We have decided to book hotels in new york instead on booking.com in case we are rejected at Bayonne. A cheapish one for  2 nights 21st and 22nd which we will pay for and another hotel a better one from 23rd to 28th which we can cancel on the 21st by midnight with the click of a mouse if we get on anthem .

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

RC will test you at check-in if you don't show up with a test result

Are you certain about that.  I no longer am.  Thread over on the Celebrity boards stating that testing at the pier was ONLY for unvaccinated.  People showing up without a test would not be provided a test

28 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

RCG is NOT testing vax at the pier, only unvax who will be paying out of pocket for it. if you don't show up with negative test result within 3 day time period, you will be denied boarding. 

Potentially dozens of people will be denied boarding if that is the case. What happens if you do get denied? Do you get refund? 

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

We booked it 13 months ago and I personally think  a lot of miss-selling is going on here with the agencies selling cruises to places we are banned from by presidential order.

Take it up with your consolidator. 

Royal doesnt sell Cunard cruises😉

• Like 2

@ace2542 Yes they will give you a refund if you are denied boarding, it is listed in the FAQs. I know of 2 families from FB who were denied because they didn't have negative covid test. 

I don't know where or why people thought they could be tested at the pier.....maybe because of the unvaxxed situation. Most ships are sailing at least 90% vax, the testing they have available is limited, not for 900+ pax. But you would think people would connect the dots. If RCG was offering testing to the vax it would have been listed.

• Thanks 1

I'm genuinely curious... if you are a UK passport holder, how will you be allowed to go through customs once you arrive in the US on the ship? My understanding is that if you have been in the UK in the previous 14 days, you are not allowed to travel to the US. What happens to those UK passport holders? Do they have to quarantine in New York? 

We met some people from England on the Adventure who were doing a combination of land/cruise outside of the US so that they could travel to the US for the final part of their vacation. I was overwhelmed at how much they had to go through just to do it!  

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The current rules for August sailings is PCR (really any NAAT approved test) or antigen test within 3 days of sailing.  Haven't seen rules for September yet.

No idea what rules will be by the time you cruise but under current rules you could get an antigen test in 15 minutes at many pharmacies (and many grocery stores have a pharmacy in them).  You are going to need transportation from a New York pier to New Jersey anyway, so you could arrange for a test on the way.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a CVS less than 2 miles from Cape Liberty Cruise Port (If that is where Anthem still is) 
I would suggest going to CVSs website and see which ones offer the Rapid Test. You can check Walgreens as well 
You would need to set up an appointment, but I believe they take appointments 2 weeks out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

There is a CVS less than 2 miles from Cape Liberty Cruise Port (If that is where Anthem still is) 
I would suggest going to CVSs website and see which ones offer the Rapid Test. You can check Walgreens as well 
You would need to set up an appointment, but I believe they take appointments 2 weeks out. 

You can buy the tests in CVS/Walgreens before you leave.  They are about $30 each and give results in 10-15 minutes.