Cruise Director - Horizon....Donkey was a disappointment

DGNewton

What can I say....jersey Mike out shined him hands down....

You can keep your Donkey - seen so many self interest in my life.....did nothing for us at all....left his first show hands down.

Have Been on many a cruises and can say this no doubt - Cruise Director - Horizon....Donkey was a disappointment

Wish I did the survey.....

• Like 8

Been on two cruises with donkey -  not the strongest but a super nice guy. I was working out with him once in gym and in locker room with him talking and he was really very nice. Nice may not make you a great CD but the company sees something in him as he has been around a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ejnsb said:

Probably in the minority here but the CD doesn't affect our experience.   The sailaway might be the first and last time we see them.

I'm with you on this one. I'm there for the ship, the destinations and to spend time with my family.  The CD has never been of concern to us. 

• Like 19

I actually found Donkey to be quite rude and disrespectful to his fun squad and the DJ’s. He was particularly bad during the white party and it was a bit cringe worthy. I just found him a bit condescending, even to the guest. But like others said the CD doesn’t make or break my cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ejnsb said:

Probably in the minority here but the CD doesn't affect our experience.   The sailaway might be the first and last time we see them.

I agree.....I have never got into the infatuation with CD's.  All they do is annoy me with their announcements.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

We've sailed with Donkey before and since covid and he is fine. I did notice and appreciate a definite reduction in PA announcements since cruising restarted. A big plus 

Some CDs are more energetic, some more annoying, but none have had much impact on any of our cruises. 

3 hours ago, surfjock27 said:

We’ve never had Donkey before, but we LLOOVVEE Jersey Mike. 
His energy is unparalleled. He’s also the most personable member of the Fun Squad we’ve ever met. 

what's the fun squad? Personally I don't remember the names of any CD's we have ever had but one.

The fact that we can argue over who is the best CD just shows how much effort Carnival puts into hiring great cruise directors and staff.  Check out most other boards and this discussion is not going on….I’m not saying other lines don’t have great CDs….but just like Comedy shows and sea-day brunch, IMO, this is Carnival’s real draw.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't look at the CD as an entertainer. I have sailed with Donkey and found he gave the announcements with a professional "voice", speaking clearly and slowly leaving no question in my mind what he was saying. The few times I saw him hosting an event he was engaging, personable, and did not allow any dead spots in the performances. 

I'd give Donkey a rating of A with five stars. An asset to the firm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dandeck said:

Exactly!!  Who cares what CD??!  

I know right. A good CD can add to the experience but its not going to ruin my trip. We are a month into a restart after having no cruising for 16 months and the OP wishes they "did the survey" Why? You want to complain to Carnival about their CD being a disappointment? Not sure what you want to accomplish by doing the survey but I can guarantee, you disliking Donkey is at the bottom of Carnivals list of importance right now.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ejnsb said:

In all the cruises we have been on, we couldn't tell you the name of our CD's.

Couldn't even pick them out of a line up

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On board with Chris Williams, The Flying Scotsman and he has been a treat. If you ever cruise with him do NOT miss his show. Who knew that this man with a heavy Scottish accent could nail the wide spectrum of musical styles. He is a better singer than any of the production show staff.

• Like 5

We were on the July 4th Horizon cruise with Donkey.  The first night he pulled two senior couples up on stage.  Then went on to extremely embarrass the two senior aged men.  It was absolutely offending.  A couple of other times during the cruise he picked on older age men.  I really think he has some weird issues about older men.  Maybe a bad father history and taking it out on old cruisers.  I will try not to sail with him again.  But I book cruises way before they announce CDs.

Edited by CruiseHealing

14 hours ago, Moviela said:

I don't look at the CD as an entertainer. I have sailed with Donkey and found he gave the announcements with a professional "voice", speaking clearly and slowly leaving no question in my mind what he was saying. The few times I saw him hosting an event he was engaging, personable, and did not allow any dead spots in the performances. 

I'd give Donkey a rating of A with five stars. An asset to the firm.

But some of them are. Steve Cassel (lots of people will have no idea who that is) was an entertainer. Lee Mason is most definitely an entertainer. A few CD's have left lasting impressions on me, but not many. We did enjoy Lee on the Sunshine a few years ago and he just happens to be the CD on the Panorama at this time so we are looking forward to that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

On board with Chris Williams, The Flying Scotsman and he has been a treat. If you ever cruise with him do NOT miss his show. Who knew that this man with a heavy Scottish accent could nail the wide spectrum of musical styles. He is a better singer than any of the production show staff.

Agreed, never thought much of the CDs until I cruised with him.  My favorite mature d is singing Ken.  Another awesome Carnival employee!