What time to arrive

NaomiW

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but does anyone who is in a suite or ligurian tier for the iona staycation cruise have their arrival time yet, including the time for testing? We had planned to drive down (from Cheshire) in the morning given the covid situation to minimize our contacts, but seeing various threads it seems as though we might have to be there quite early, and I wouldnt want to miss out on any of the day! Wondering whether it would actually be hest to book a hotel?

8 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but does anyone who is in a suite or ligurian tier for the iona staycation cruise have their arrival time yet, including the time for testing? We had planned to drive down (from Cheshire) in the morning given the covid situation to minimize our contacts, but seeing various threads it seems as though we might have to be there quite early, and I wouldnt want to miss out on any of the day! Wondering whether it would actually be hest to book a hotel?

Hi Naomi

We are also in Macclesfield and frequently get to Southampton by

11.30 am if we set off about 8.00 am.  We have also stayed overnight

many times at Holiday Inn Express opposite the Hampshire cricket

ground, Ageas Bowl.Very good rates and it only takes about 20 mins

to drive to the docks.

It all depends what day, Weekends we always drive, Monday mornings not.

Our next cruise is Britannia in October and we will def.drive there.

We are in a suite so we can arrive early or late. 

It’s all really depending on how you feel and how confident you are with

your car etc. If you have the slightest doubt, then book a hotel.

Hope you enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.  Please report back!

Terri 

12 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Hi Naomi

We are also in Macclesfield and frequently get to Southampton by

11.30 am if we set off about 8.00 am.  We have also stayed overnight

many times at Holiday Inn Express opposite the Hampshire cricket

ground, Ageas Bowl.Very good rates and it only takes about 20 mins

to drive to the docks.

It all depends what day, Weekends we always drive, Monday mornings not.

Our next cruise is Britannia in October and we will def.drive there.

We are in a suite so we can arrive early or late. 

It’s all really depending on how you feel and how confident you are with

your car etc. If you have the slightest doubt, then book a hotel.

Hope you enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.  Please report back!

Terri 

Thanks Terri, thats reassuring to know. It is a Saturday sailing so as you say will hopefully be a clear drive.

We do normally stay over at the Pig hotel but it is fully booked, and we were trying to save a bit of money aswell as avoiding people so think we'll stick with the plan to drive up on the day..

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I thought you were given a boarding time,  which, in effect was the time you shoukd arrive at the testing centre.

Unfortunately I dont think well get our boarding time until closer to the date we sail so was hoping someone on an earlier cruises could tell me what theirs was. I dont want to leave it until last minute if we need to book a hotel. Its good to know that you dont need to turn up earlier than the boarding time for your test however

35 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Unfortunately I dont think well get our boarding time until closer to the date we sail so was hoping someone on an earlier cruises could tell me what theirs was. I dont want to leave it until last minute if we need to book a hotel. Its good to know that you dont need to turn up earlier than the boarding time for your test however

You haven’t given a date for your cruise. Be aware the Southampton Boat show is 10 -19 September I believe. 

24 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You haven’t given a date for your cruise. Be aware the Southampton Boat show is 10 -19 September I believe. 

Sorry, should clarify that we have a date-18th September, just not a boarding time yet

As my dear wife thinks that I drive my car like a bank robber we have decided to take the coach down to Southampton in December. Has anyone had recent experience of how that worked with testing and boarding etc as we are not in a suite?

Edited by Chrisstew007
grammatical error

On 8/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, NaomiW said:

Unless things have changed with the staycation cruises (others can advise), if you are in a suite your boarding time will always be 12.30pm, although we have boarded earlier than that before now. I wouldn’t worry too much about the boat show if you are travelling down on the day. We have gone on a couple of cruises during the boat show (and been to the boat show itself) and traffic hasn’t seemed much different to normal. I suspect that most people going to the boat show that day will already be there by the time you arrive in Southampton. 

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Unless things have changed with the staycation cruises (others can advise), if you are in a suite your boarding time will always be 12.30pm, although we have boarded earlier than that before now. I wouldn’t worry too much about the boat show if you are travelling down on the day. We have gone on a couple of cruises during the boat show (and been to the boat show itself) and traffic hasn’t seemed much different to normal. I suspect that most people going to the boat show that day will already be there by the time you arrive in Southampton. 

Hi Selbourne, I understand that you are given 12.00 not 12.30 at the moment.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Hi Selbourne, I understand that you are given 12.00 not 12.30 at the moment.

They don't start doing the tests at Mayflower until 12.00. if you arrive earlier you are made to wait. If you arrive at 11.00 you are sent to the naughty step and told to come back at 12.00. test results take 30 minutes.If you tell them you are in a suite you still join the queue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Thanks all for the advice.. I think I'll aim to get there just before 12pm and that should leave enough time to drive down in the morning-barring any significant hold ups

But what time have you been given? No point turning up at 12 if your time is 2pm

• Like 3

On 8/14/2021 at 9:42 AM, wowzz said:

But what time have you been given? No point turning up at 12 if your time is 2pm

Hence my original question, but given that we are in a suite I am under the impression that we will be given the earliest time available and can turn up when we like

2 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Hence my original question, but given that we are in a suite I am under the impression that we will be given the earliest time available and can turn up when we like

No, you will be allocated a time, not necessarily the earliest, and if you arrive before that time, suite or not, you will be turned away.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, you will be allocated a time, not necessarily the earliest, and if you arrive before that time, suite or not, you will be turned away.

Ok, well obviously that is different to how it has always worked in the past for suite guests. But then the entire reason for my original question was just to to find out if other people who had suites in the first sailing could give me an idea of timings so I could plan my travel down as I realize things arent 'normal' at the moment.. Honestly, I have only posted questions this forum a couple of times to get advice and both times you have been really quite rude..

29 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Naomi

Don't know if this helps but we are Caribbean Tier and our friends onboard are Ligurian.  Their time at testing was 11.45am and ours was 12.00noon.   They were onboard by 1pm and us about 10 minutes after. them.

Edited by Cruiserjules