Southampton Hotel recommendations

Chrisstew007

We are at the Dolphin too.  Its only for one night and is really reasonable and includes parking for the duration .

It can't be worse than the Leonardo  That hotel was once very good, but  on our last visit it had buckets everywhere due to rain and had certainly seen better days.  That was a real disappointment.

Edited by indiana123

30 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We are at the Dolphin too.  Its only for one night and is really reasonable and includes parking for the duration .

It can't be worse than the Leonardo  That hotel was once very good, but  on our last visit it had buckets everywhere due to rain and had certainly seen better days.  That was a real disappointment.

Parking there?
My car was dinged while parked.  

Their support was a Gaelic Shrug, no CCTV to view, no help, quoted terms and conditions, therefore one’s fault for parking there.

Hope you enjoy the reasonably priced stay.  Don’t over expect, then there is no disappointment.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, sandancer said:

We are staying at the Doubletree. Considered changing to somewhere closer to the port but prices are ridiculous as it’s BH weekend. Usually stay at either the Holiday Inn or the Premier Inn, happy with either. Only problem we’ve had is trying to get down in the lift when the hotel is full. 

I can’t recommend the Doubletree. Very run down. Didn’t enjoy the stay at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I can’t recommend the Doubletree. Very run down. Didn’t enjoy the stay at all. 

Agree.

Old, tired, worn out, past it’s best, seen better days decades go, no decent views from windows, demolish.

Can go on.

If there is a price point, then consider a B&B guest house (some offer parking or Parking4Cruises)

Edited by PORT ROYAL
B&B

For context:

We have a PI city centre hotel room for £35 a night.  We have 14 nights parking with Penguin Parking for £115. 

So, our basic hotel and parking costs are £150 . 

Is that good value? I think so, but others will have other views.

• Like 3

Premier Inn West Quay for me, just over the road from all the shops, no parking though except overnight in the multi story next door is available, right next to Carnival HQ so you can throw obnoxious objects at them. There is the new Moxie? next door, weird name.

• Like 1

Premier Inn West Quay is perfect for the shops and access to the park where you can watch the ships sailing out.

You unload your cases at the back of the Premier Inn then drive into the multi storey car park.

We parked 7 nights in the multi storey car park which is locked at night for £35.

A camera catches your number plate on entry and this is printed on your parking ticket.

I spoke on the phone to the car park management first to check and they said a lot of cruise passengers staying at the West Quay Premier Inn leave the cars there during their cruise.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

For context:

We have a PI city centre hotel room for £35 a night.  We have 14 nights parking with Penguin Parking for £115. 

So, our basic hotel and parking costs are £150 . 

Is that good value? I think so, but others will have other views.

That has been our choice of parking even with the former owners when they were up the top end of Marchwood .Sometimes we would stay at the P-inn at Winchester the night before then drive to Penguin parking next day  ,same as you we found it to be very good value .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree.

Old, tired, worn out, past it’s best, seen better days decades go, no decent views from windows, demolish.

Can go on.

If there is a price point, then consider a B&B guest house (some offer parking or Parking4Cruises)

The night we stayed it was £185 room only. At this point I have to say that we used Hilton Honours points but if we had paid the going rate we would have been very unhappy. 

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

The night we stayed it was £185 room only. At this point I have to say that we used Hilton Honours points but if we had paid the going rate we would have been very unhappy. 

Hilton points?
Then consider the Hilton Ageas, Exec Room member upgrade?  Has all the bells and whistles.

Take a look

https://www.ageasbowl.com/hotel/accommodation/cruise-from-southampton/

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Do you need bells and whistles for a 12 hour hotel stay?

Every person has an individual preference as to what standard of Hotel and facilities they wish to enjoy prior to their vacation.  Personally, one enjoys the Ageas Executive accommodation with it’s benefits, secure parking and a private taxi services (bells and whistles) offered by the Ageas.  Although not the Fairmont and the like, it suits us for one, sometimes two, nights.

Our stay is usually from about 14.00 one day one to round 14.00 on day two. (Early/late allowed)

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Boathouse hotel, Hythe? I know its on the other side but thought it might be nice for a change, with a relatively short journey to the port on the day. 

Only for a Lunch.  Food was nice and very reasonable with pleasant views out to the Marina. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:27 PM, indiana123 said:

We stayed at Jurys Inn Leonardo Harbour hotel In August we had a balcony overlooking the sea and ships and a lovely room.  It was a 70th birthday celebration so didn't mind paying that little bit more. £200 .. For our next cruise this month we are back there but in a standard room at a better deal. £87.  

It still has tea and coffee making and we are expecting the same standard of decor.  The hotel is really convenient for shopping and very close to the port across the road from Holiday Inn. Parking is on a council car park so we prefer to leave the car at the port with CPS.  Also means we can do drive through testing and wait in the comfort of our car instead of standing in a queue at the terminal. 

5 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

We stayed at Jurys Inn Leonardo Harbour hotel In August we had a balcony overlooking the sea and ships and a lovely room.  It was a 70th birthday celebration so didn't mind paying that little bit more. £200 .. For our next cruise this month we are back there but in a standard room at a better deal. £87.  

It still has tea and coffee making and we are expecting the same standard of decor.  The hotel is really convenient for shopping and very close to the port across the road from Holiday Inn. Parking is on a council car park so we prefer to leave the car at the port with CPS.  Also means we can do drive through testing and wait in the comfort of our car instead of standing in a queue at the terminal. 

Seems expensive compared to a PI !

• Like 1

Against advice we went to the Dolphin... we should have listened.

Room very worn and dark.  I have never had to eat bacon with my fingers before, it was so crisp if cut with a knife it spattered into 100 pieces!!  Gave us a good laugh though.

Back to West Quay  PI next time.. you know what you will get there.

The worst hotel I have stayed in pre-cruise is the Ibis that sits at 90 degrees to the Novotel (which I did like in its pre-Andy Warhol decor days).   The Ibis - and yes, I appreciate it's a budget hotel, and I did book it because everything else was full - the room needed painted, the lift wasn't working and the continental breakfast left so much to the imagination, we went to McDonalds across the road.

The Grand Harbour (Leonardo / De Vere as was) was okay, but not, in my view worth the premium price.  

The Novotel is lovely and central for 106, 102 and 101.   As mentioned above, I'm not so keen on the minimalist, multi-coloured decor they now have.

PI West Quay is my favourite - great for shops, the Co-op next door for anything last minute (I don't drive to Southampton so cannot comment on any parking).   As has been said in a previous comment above, you know what you're getting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Against advice we went to the Dolphin... we should have listened.

Room very worn and dark.  I have never had to eat bacon with my fingers before, it was so crisp if cut with a knife it spattered into 100 pieces!!  Gave us a good laugh though.

Back to West Quay  PI next time.. you know what you will get there.

Dolphin tends tends to be our first choice, but we do room only, previously using Tesco vouchers to pay,   If we want a cooked breakfast, we go to Wetherspoons next door.

Yes it has seen better days, but we've stayed in worse that cost more.

We always use Holiday Inn Express just off M271 its convenient cheap, clean includes breakfast, free parking for the night and is a short drive to either Mayflower or Ocean on day of sailing. There is also a very nice pub within walking distance for evening meal. We have stayed at other hotels in the area over the years but this is now our preferred choice.

• Like 1