Bahamas require eligible cruisers to be vaccinated even on Private Islands

kleibo

6 hours ago, Babr said:

Click the link above and read it again. Note Item #4 with  the heading Cruise Ships 24A. Submit a manifest of passengers and crew. Manifest means a a list of everyone on board.

All passengers over 12 must be vaccinated except those with medical limitations. That means someone who can’t take it, say a heart transplant patient for instance.

It appears that children under 12 will be the only ones exempt. Any

unvaccinated teens or adults will not sail. This order is in effect until November so I don’t know that it will have much impact.

The very LAST place a medically fragile person (like a heart transplant) needs to be is on a cruise ship. 

Make these cruises 100% vaxxed.  I’m tired of hearing the whiney excuses. Stay home. We need to get some shred of stability in safety otherwise this can get ugly really fast. 

• Like 3

Means Desantis is going to have to try and save face now since he swears up and down he is pro business and all for them well now the Cruise lines have a legitimate gripe with his steadfast against asking for vaccination status. 

I predict NCL will use this to their advantage in the lawsuit this actually gives them some good ammo. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Means Desantis is going to have to try and save face now since he swears up and down he is pro business and all for them well now the Cruise lines have a legitimate gripe with his steadfast against asking for vaccination status. 

I predict NCL will use this to their advantage in the lawsuit this actually gives them some good ammo. 

I also thought there was some clause in the Florida law that covers this case....as in it’s not the cruise line requiring proof of vaccines, it’s a foreign government. He can’t fine the Bahamas for requiring proof.  

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal for Carnival? Its basically the exact same protocols they already had in place is it not? Im sure there were a couple of non vaccinated adults who got exemptions but all I kept seeing was the majority of exemptions were going to kids anyway and this doesn't apply to them. 

4 minutes ago, matymil said:

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal for Carnival? Its basically the exact same protocols they already had in place is it not? Im sure there were a couple of non vaccinated adults who got exemptions but all I kept seeing was the majority of exemptions were going to kids anyway and this doesn't apply to them. 

There were more than a couple. Maybe up to a third.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

There were more than a couple. Maybe up to a third.

A third of the exemptions were adults? Where did you get this info from cause thats the first ive heard? Maybe I only saw the news about the children getting exemptions because we were waiting on one for our kid but almost every place I saw said that children were getting the exemptions first. 

1 hour ago, matymil said:

A third of the exemptions were adults? Where did you get this info from cause thats the first ive heard? Maybe I only saw the news about the children getting exemptions because we were waiting on one for our kid but almost every place I saw said that children were getting the exemptions first. 

I think that is what I heard about the July 10 Horizon cruise I was on. I did see some adult passengers wearing masks. As with covid cases, Carnival is the only one that knows and they aren't officially saying.

Well, Carnival is still doing some stupid stuff. I am sorry. No unvaccinated crew or passengers is what needs to be done. I am sorry for your darling 11 and under kids, but we need to be realistic. Ports can make this very easy across the board. If there is an unvaccinated person on the ship, you cannot port. That solves the DeSantis issue and forces the cruise lines to make the decision. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jayfo said:

The very LAST place a medically fragile person (like a heart transplant) needs to be is on a cruise ship. 

Make these cruises 100% vaxxed.  I’m tired of hearing the whiney excuses. Stay home. We need to get some shred of stability in safety otherwise this can get ugly really fast. 

I don’t even know who qualifies as a medical exemption. I thought I was using an outlandish example. Now I see that booster shots are recommended for transplant patients and the immunocompromised. Who can’t take it?

I agree people that people in fragile health should not travel now.

5 hours ago, matymil said:

Even if children are getting exemptions first (which they ought to), that implies there are still some exemptions also for adults. That is why the change made by the Bahamas is meaningful.

Kudos to the Bahamas for doing what Carnival didn't have the guts to do. I have no sympathy for adults who choose not to get vaccinated. Hopefully the cruise lines will change their tune to be no one unvaccinated expect children under 12. No reason for an entire cruise ship to get held up from docking due to a few unvaccinated adults when another country passes this at the last minute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During the summer months, there probably is a good chance that a majority of the exemptions come from children.  However, as schools ramp up, those numbers for children likely will go down, which would allow more "unvaccinated" adults to complete that last 5%.  My cruise isn't until Oct 9, and I would just as soon see it 100% vaccinated than to take a chance that more and more ports will turn us away.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I think it is important to note this does not go into effect until Friday September 3. Therefore anyone cruising to a Bahama port of call prior would still fall under the old guidelines.

I was not surprised to see a time-phase for implementation - it allows travelers and cruise lines to adjust.  Most of the border closures and other restrictions put in place by various nations have had anywhere from a week to a month's notice.

I do wonder if that means even more cancellations for my 4 Sept cruise to Bahamas...will make for an even emptier ship, which will not make me sad.  It is unfortunate for those unvaxxed adults that will be cancelled, but on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I was not surprised to see a time-phase for implementation - it allows travelers and cruise lines to adjust.  Most of the border closures and other restrictions put in place by various nations have had anywhere from a week to a month's notice.

I do wonder if that means even more cancellations for my 4 Sept cruise to Bahamas...will make for an even emptier ship, which will not make me sad.  It is unfortunate for those unvaxxed adults that will be cancelled, but on the other hand...

This rollercoaster time in which we live continues.

13 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Interestingly, John Heald told everyone on his Coffee With John video this morning that there is nothing to worry about for cruises to Bahamas, it is all taken care of.  So Carnival is somehow ducking the requirement?

:shrug:

I think it means that Carnival hasn't officially responded.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Well, Carnival is still doing some stupid stuff. I am sorry. No unvaccinated crew or passengers is what needs to be done. I am sorry for your darling 11 and under kids, but we need to be realistic. Ports can make this very easy across the board. If there is an unvaccinated person on the ship, you cannot port. That solves the DeSantis issue and forces the cruise lines to make the decision. 

You do realize that this does NOT apply to children under the age cutoff for the vaccine? This applies to adults that are of age for the vaccine and are not vaccinated, regardless of the reason that they give for not being vaccinated. 

3 minutes ago, Mallow said:

I think it means that Carnival hasn't officially responded.

That being said, as somebody else already mentioned, this is very close to the current protocols that Carnival is using. Maybe a handful of people that were given a vaccine waiver get it pulled from under them. But, according to what some are saying here, most of those were given to children only (not official from Carnival though). 

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

But on the other hand.... they could just get the vaccine. It is free and readily available.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

I think it is important to note this does not go into effect until Friday September 3. Therefore anyone cruising to a Bahama port of call prior would still fall under the old guidelines.

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I'm sorry - this drives me crazy. The Bahamas are making this decision for the SAFETY of their citizens - but hey, for convenience sake, let's not make it effective for 3 more weeks. If it's an EMERGENCY to SAVE LIVES, then it should be effective today. If they really only were doing it for the safety of their citizens, it would begin TODAY and they wouldn't be worried about how it inconvenienced anyone. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I'm sorry - this drives me crazy. The Bahamas are making this decision for the SAFETY of their citizens - but hey, for convenience sake, let's not make it effective for 3 more weeks. If it's an EMERGENCY to SAVE LIVES, then it should be effective today. If they really only were doing it for the safety of their citizens, it would begin TODAY and they wouldn't be worried about how it inconvenienced anyone. 

It take time to implement policy.

• Like 3