Oasis Test Cruise begins when Henri arrives...thoughts/concerns?

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Long Island may have issues, especially eastern.  NYC shouldn't.

I live in Hauppauge and I am prepared with generator and outdoor furniture put away.  PSEG has sent notices out that state they expect outages to last from 7 to 14 days.  After Sandy we didn't have power for 7 days.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Bandit knows all, it will just be a few raindrops, nothing to worry about.

Full Moons this weekend won't help matters either with the high tides. What about that Bandit, any info about that.

May be best to board the ship as scheduled and just bob up and down in the Hudson all night and not go past the bridge until the next day and then go out to sea.

Also would be worried about leaving car on a ground parking lot too, if they get the flooding that is projected around that area.

Free cruise or not, may be better to just skip it.

schleprock.jpg?1495566422

24 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Btw she's underway, sailing north toward Manhattan.   Maybe just circling the statue but she's moving.

All part of there CDC testing that has pretty much started the minute they docked the other day.  Crew and all workers have been going over different scenarios to prepare for the test cruise and to get the certificate from the CDC.  They hope to have that in hand on the 30th.

I only know this as I have been fortunate enough to have someone in communication with a worker on Oasis.  So far all is good.  Fingers crossed for the 9/5 first sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerig said:

Were you in the area when super storm sandy hit?  this will have the same punch as sandy.

I was on a RCL cruise ship going out of Bayonne.  We boarded as planned and pretty much left on time.  We left Bayonne as they were shutting down the NYC city subway system, and the terminal was closed as soon as we left.  We were headed to Bermuda and headed south as Sandy was headed north.  We went as far south as Jacksonville, Fl and then headed North to Bermuda.  The  first morning I didn't leave the cabin till late morning.  We did a lot of rock and rolling with many sick people.  Then had to stop serving breakfast in the dining room and buffet since everything was flying so I was told.  They put out 6 ft hero's and reopened the dining areas at dinner.    Those who parked there car at the Pier that was not elevated found there car was underwater during the storm, so much for those cars.  It was an interesting cruise for sure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

https://www.psegliny.com/newsroom/2021/082121-stormupdate1230

Looks to be more then a small storm to PSEG

Small in size. This is a compact storm. That doesn't mean there won't be impacts. Just the impacts will be more localized.  One person might get nailed, while 20 miles away it's just breezy.

What I see as the major impediment is that the storm is forecast to be about 90 miles east of NYC around 6-8pm Sunday, when sailaway is supposed to happen.  Forecast winds of 25-35 knots.  As Oasis will be sailing on a rising tide (to maximize her speed through the water, and increase "squat" or lowering the ship in the water), any storm surge could negate this, and cause some issues with clearance under the Verrazano bridge. Also, winds are forecast as being easterly to north easterly.  This crosswind can cause handling problems under the bridge, and even a following north easterly can affect steerage.  I've got doubts that the pilots will take her out until the next morning on the rising tide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What I see as the major impediment is that the storm is forecast to be about 90 miles east of NYC around 6-8pm Sunday, when sailaway is supposed to happen.  Forecast winds of 25-35 knots.  As Oasis will be sailing on a rising tide (to maximize her speed through the water, and increase "squat" or lowering the ship in the water), any storm surge could negate this, and cause some issues with clearance under the Verrazano bridge. Also, winds are forecast as being easterly to north easterly.  This crosswind can cause handling problems under the bridge, and even a following north easterly can affect steerage.  I've got doubts that the pilots will take her out until the next morning on the rising tide.

Agreed. But some people on here don't want to hear that.

4 hours ago, gerig said:

Were you in the area when super storm sandy hit?  this will have the same punch as sandy.

When Sandy hit the NYC Metro area it was lowered to Tropical Storm.  The big damage was done by the Northeastern that hit the area at the same time.  

I just realized tomorrow is a full moon that wont help the storm surges.  

Forecast sure looked a lot better yesterday than tonight.  

Let's hope Henri fizzles out!

I would think worst case scenario everyone boards, enjoys a nice dinner and evening onboard and ships sail early monday morning.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just realized tomorrow is a full moon that wont help the storm surges.  

Forecast sure looked a lot better yesterday than tonight.  

Let's hope Henri fizzles out!

I would think worst case scenario everyone boards, enjoys a nice dinner and evening onboard and ships sail early monday morning.  

Might be to dangerous for dock workers loading ship on late Sunday early Sunday afternoon. Next 12 hours, the decision will be made to carry on schedule or delay everything 24 hours I would think.

Going to a lot of heavy  rain and strong winds.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

85 flights from LaGuardia  Airport   just canceled for tomorrow, other NY Airports should be doing the same thing.

Yes.  Did a quick look at United flights into Ewr and JFK today and tomorrow.   All cancelled. The ship might sail but might be missing some passengers. 

19 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Yes.  Did a quick look at United flights into Ewr and JFK today and tomorrow.   All cancelled. The ship might sail but might be missing some passengers. 

Wonder for the test cruises  if there is a number of passengers that they have to have at least to make the test cruise count as being completed.

If passengers that live in the area have concerns with their house/home because of storm may decide they can 't leave their property.

Those passengers may be missing too.

Edited by Jimbo