Upsell offer worth the risk?

7Trainguy1951

Princess has offered us a Mini Suite upsell on our current midship standard balcony. I'm curious if it's worth risking our midship room for a chance to get a larger cabin? What are pluses or negatives? We sail on the Majestic in late September. Thanks for any advice

Bob

• Like 1

We got a similar offer today. $320 more for the week to move to a mini suite. Had it been Club Class, we might have gone for it. We have a lovely aft balcony cabin, and I think we'd prefer the views from there to the space.

That said, 3 days after we disembark, the ship will be in LA, and we have a Club Class mini for a 3 day cruise. this will be our relatively inexpensive opportunity to try out Club Class and see if we think the additional cost is worth it for our 22 day cruise next April. 

• Like 1

The mini suites are nice, but they aren't that much bigger than a deluxe balcony.  The advantage is the bathtub in the bathroom.  Double check if they are offering a regular mini suite or the club class version.

Standard balcony to a mini would be a YES for us.  

I would suggest going online and doing a mock booking to see which minis are available and write down 3-4 you would be happy with, that way when they call you back you can ask any of if those you picked are available.

We got an offer like that recently for our 8/29 cruise. It was standard balcony to mini, but there wasn't an opportunity to call and ask what cabin. It said to reply to the email, and our card on file would be charged. I looked at what was showing available on the website and saw several minis that I wouldn't have liked as well as the standard balcony, so I let this upsell go by. I probably could have gotten moved to a mini that was acceptable, but it just seemed like more hassle than it was worth.

2 hours ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

Call them back and they will get back to you and let you know which cabins are available.  You can then check the deck plans and make up your mind if any of the cabins work for you.

@7Trainguy1951Have the deck plans open on a window when you talk to them. If you don't like what they offer and you see a better one...ask for it.

We did that on a Panama cruise. Upsell from inside to balcony. We were offered mid-ship and surrounding areas. I noticed that an aft (more expensive than what was offered) balcony was available and told the rep., I wanted that one. Got it!! At no increase in the upsell offer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

Princess has offered us a Mini Suite upsell on our current midship standard balcony. I'm curious if it's worth risking our midship room for a chance to get a larger cabin? What are pluses or negatives? We sail on the Majestic in late September. Thanks for any advice

Bob

On the Royal class ships ( like the Majestic) its worth the upgrade . The balconies on regular cabins are so small . That you can have only one person sitting on it . No room for two.

We received an upsell offer to a mini suite from an obstructed balcony for our Aug 15 Alaska sailing.  I declined but when we boarded the ship they had moved us any way.   The cabin was great, location not so much. It was right over the theater.  No explanation was given other than “operational issues”. Our original choice remained empty the entire cruise.  We enjoyed the extra space.  Too bad we didn’t pack the Mr Bubble!😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

Bob

Bob,

What was the $ offer?

Tom🤔

1 hour ago, Nytxguy said:

Do you have to wait for an email first for an upsell offer? We are booked inside cabin for Dec 4th Majestic Princess but would be willing to pay ~$200 more each for balcony. 

Yes, there's no one I'm aware to call. 

38 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Bob,

What was the $ offer?

Tom🤔

I  talked to a Princess rep on the phone, but when he checked for the offer, he told me the offer had to be done thru the email offer. The offer was $199 dollars for per person (me and the Mrs.). I emailed them and said I would accept the upsell offer only if it was located on deck 12 or 14. I received an answer an hour later. We got an mid-aft mini suite on Deck 14! Gotta love Princess. The wife's a happy camper with the larger bathroom 😁

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Do you think the prices will drop or be higher?

How can I find out how much of the ship is sold?

Thank you

The price is usually higher...unless they're having trouble selling that particular cruise. Pre-covid that didn't happen very often. Might see a good price in the "Drop & Go" section on the website, but if you don't live close to the port, the airfare would be horrible.

No real way to tell if the ship is full or not. Even when you see empty cabins on the deck plans. Once all the guarantees have been assigned, you might be able to tell, but that isn't something that's announced and many have posted here that they didn't get their assignment until a day or 2 before the cruise. So, short answer - nobody knows except Princess.

12 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Can you up to a better cabin after final payment? Not them offering just by paying? Thank you

I think, from other conversations, that this would have to be a re-fare. You would think they would know what you paid for existing cabin and the current price difference for the new cabin, but it seems complicated. I looked at a similar move and was told I would lose prior OBC promo.

26 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Used to see it in the blue band at the top of Princess.com. I just looked and it's not there. A casualty of Covid or just none to show right now?? Only time will tell.

Ah, we currently could respond to a Drop & Go, so was interested. Had not noticed it previously.